Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

You're a bus driver. It's 12.05am. Passenger has day-to-go valid until 12. Do you... watch

• View Poll Results: Would you let the passenger off even though their bus ticket is invalid by 5 mins?
    Yes
    86.21%
    No
    13.79%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    I thought this quote by Douglas Bader, British WWII air ace, seemed pretty appropriate as a response to you two, and this thread in general:

"Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men."
    Actually, if you looked at my genuine post (first one) instead of the ones where I played devil's advocate, you'd see I would let them on the bus with their ticket unless they were rude towards me in trying to do so.

ReputationRep:
    if they got on b4 midnight then is no problem
    bus coulda been held up in lights and stuff
    journey durations cant be held in stone
    so if entered bus b4 midnight then perfectly fine

(Original post by thehoops1212)
    if they got on b4 midnight then is no problem
    bus coulda been held up in lights and stuff
    journey durations cant be held in stone
    so if entered bus b4 midnight then perfectly fine
    :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Rules are rules.

Let's also all let off the paedophile because the child was nearly 16.
    gosh, what an analogy.

ReputationRep:
    I get on buses without oysters anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    But where do you draw the line? The laws and rules exist so we don't have to decide what is acceptable, and what is not.
    Those laws are only with majority consent.

Which in my opinion means _ _ _ _ _ the laws.

Anyway I would let him/her off simply because I don't give a damn.

(Original post by ilickbatteries)
    You hate all bus drivers because of that? Hate the company who sets the rules, not the poor guy driving a bus 9 hours a day.

They're not all bad, yeah you get some proper bas*ards, I know but they're not all bad. The majority are considerate of such matters but don't forget they do have rules to adhere to, and every ticket they issue is recorded for their superiors to see. They have a little black box that goes into the ticket machine and it records everything.

Not all passes and cards are recorded - Student passes in County Durham aren't - but ones that are issued after the times shown and have to be swiped would be either rejected or flagged up. Also, if an inspector got on the bus (a very rare event where I live, can't vouch for anywhere else) the driver, and the passenger would get into trouble.

Source - My dad drives buses.

In response to the OP - Aye, I'd let her on and claim ignorance if it wouldn't be recorded or owt.

Same here, my dad drives buses and there are regulations on this sort of thing, and it takes into account what could happen too. If I was a driver I'd warn them that they could get severly punished (£35 standard fare where I live) for doing it. It would seem harsh not to but if the driver doesnt do the job right then he can get into serious trouble for it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    depends because sometimes they send people on to 'test' the drivers. i would probably let them on, though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    Anyway I would let him/her off simply because I don't give a damn.
    I'm sure you would give a damn if you ended up losing your job over it.

Bus drivers will get people like this pretty much every day. If they allowed even half of these to travel with an expired ticket then they will risk losing their job.

ReputationRep:
    Similar logic applies for trains, you cant use your 16-25 railcard before 8.45am so in the past when I have got a 8.40am train I couldnt use my card unless train was late so had to get a later train and thereby change my days plans.

Or a train arrives at 11.45pm but the ticket guard doesnt come round till 12.15 so you cant get a cheap day single or return and have to pay like double.

Some of the rules or systems are so messed up.

ReputationRep:
    I would let them off but bus drivers are so jobworthy!!

ReputationRep:
    It's only 5 minutes away, and if you'd been working 'til midnight then you definitely don't want some arsey bus driver making things worse :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I would.

I worked at Thorpe Park for a while over Halloween and I pretty much let everyone down the fast-track because I really couldn't give a ****. Unless they were a **** or a pikey, then they could buggar off down the normal queue.
    That would completely defeat the point of a fast-track queue!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'd let them get on, but I suppose technically I shouldn't, because there has to be a cut-off time somewhere. If you give 12.05, why not 12.06, why not 12.10 etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    I'd let them off, but I suppose technically I shouldn't, because there has to be a cut-off time somewhere. If you give 12.05, why not 12.06, why not 12.10 etc.
    I see it as a route thing, like I was meaning in last post in that its not exactly fair if a few stops along where the bus arrives 5 minutes before can use the pass wheras you cannot when the bus arrives at its final destination at the same time so it should go something along the lines of when the bus set off on that part of the route i.e not when it left the bus station like 1 hour before but say when it turns round to go back to the station like 15 minutes ago.

Just like how I dont see why I should be punished for the train leaving 5 minutes before cheap fares begin when the next stop in the station which is 10 minutes away can get cheap fares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xarcul)
    That would completely defeat the point of a fast-track queue!!!
    Well, by 'everyone', I mean the people who happened to stumble down the fast-track queue without a pass.

I also did things like not bothering to tick off one-time use fast tracks, and put different queue times on disabled passes so they could just go and hop on another ride straight afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    I'd let them get on, but I suppose technically I shouldn't, because there has to be a cut-off time somewhere. If you give 12.05, why not 12.06, why not 12.10 etc.
    Where would you set off the cut-off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -beads-)
    Where would you set off the cut-off?
    I dunno, I suppose at 10 minutes past.

ReputationRep:
    I would be generous and let them.
    Some bus drivers have done that for me in the past.

ReputationRep:
    It's clearly marked your ticket is valid until 12 midnight only.

So past midnight equals no admittance. Common Sense.

Unless he was really cute, then I'd let him past

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.