Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am having an issue with the 'time spent' part of the application when talking about degree modules. How do you work it out?

ReputationRep:
    Well if you did a 3 year course and in your first year you did 4 modules which each took up approximately the same amount of time, and one of those modules was about trees, then 1/4 of your first year was about trees. Your first year was 1/3 of your course so (1/4)*(1/3) gives you 1/12 as the proportion of time that module took up. Then maybe in your second year, which comprised of 3 modules, one of those modules was about trees and flowers, and trees took up about half of that module. So that module was 1/3 of your second year, but only half was about trees so (1/2)*(1/3) gives 1/6 as the proportion of your second year devoted to trees, and then as your second year is 1/3 of your whole course then (1/6)*(1/3) gives 1/18 as the proportion of your whole course taken up by the tree part of that module. Overall then, (1/12) + (1/18) = 5/36 as the proportion of your whole course devoted to trees. Then times by 100 to get that as a percentage - about 14%.

Or you can just guestimate for everything, add them up and if they don't add up to give 100, tweak them until they do.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my lord, that's complicated, but thank you! Does it matter if some of my modules are 10 or 20 credits? Would that affect the time which I spent on the modules? Also, the first year doesn't count towards my final degree mark so how do I work that out?

Oh my goodness, now I know why I never took maths any further than GCSE...

ReputationRep:
    I did percentages (like the poster above), but that was easier as I did my degree in the US, so it would've been too crazy to list all of my modules. I know some people who have simply put 100% for their subject as it would've all been Geography or whatever their subject was. Others have listed all of their modules with their credits next to them. I guess it varies, but I'd say most break it down similar to paddyman4.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

The first poster was really helpful, but the only thing is is that the first year doesn't count towards anything towards my final grade so I didn't know how to break it down in terms of the 3 years... If that makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitargirl03)
    Thank you

The first poster was really helpful, but the only thing is is that the first year doesn't count towards anything towards my final grade so I didn't know how to break it down in terms of the 3 years... If that makes sense...
    I would say to include your first year. They are interested in all the modules (or at least the percentage of modules taken in a particular area of your subject) you have taken regardless if they were figured into your final grade. In this section it isn't about your grade, only the modules. This can be very useful for the tutors as they will be able to see where your strengths are in your subject. For example, I'm on a Sec English PGCE course right now, and we all have varied backgrounds. I did a degree in English (Language and Literature) and a minor in Creative Writing. Some of the students did English Language whilst others did Literature. Our breakdown was able to show the tutors who had a good mix of Literature and Language and who completed degrees made up of primarily one or the other. They may consider this to keep the course balances, or not, but we have a rather balanced class with varied interests.

Hope this is more helpful!

ReputationRep:
    I've done that, but what I meant was in terms of my degree mark, my second year is worth 25% whilst my second year is work 75% towards my final mark. So I'm unsure how to work out the percentages for the first year as it's not worth 1/3 of my final mark, which was the example given by the first poster... If that makes sense...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guitargirl03)
    I've done that, but what I meant was in terms of my degree mark, my second year is worth 25% whilst my second year is work 75% towards my final mark. So I'm unsure how to work out the percentages for the first year as it's not worth 1/3 of my final mark, which was the example given by the first poster... If that makes sense...
    It's about time spent so it doesn't matter how much each year was worth. So treat each year equally. If you spent half of your first year learning about bananas then whether or not the exam for that counted for anything, you learned about bananas and spent half a year doing so - i.e. you spent 1/6 of your 3 year course learning it.

And if you have too much trouble with the numbers I would just guestimate percentages. When you add up the percentages you have assigned to each topic you should end up with 100%, and when you add up the percentages you have assigned to the topics learnt in a particular year they should add up to just over 33%. So if you had 4 modules in first year but you spent a lot more time on 3 of them than the fourth, you might want to assign them 10%, 10%, 10% and 3% or something. In the end, no one will ring up your uni and demand to see the lecture timetable so that they can double-check your calculations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    It's about time spent so it doesn't matter how much each year was worth. So treat each year equally. If you spent half of your first year learning about bananas then whether or not the exam for that counted for anything, you learned about bananas and spent half a year doing so - i.e. you spent 1/6 of your 3 year course learning it.

And if you have too much trouble with the numbers I would just guestimate percentages. When you add up the percentages you have assigned to each topic you should end up with 100%, and when you add up the percentages you have assigned to the topics learnt in a particular year they should add up to just over 33%. So if you had 4 modules in first year but you spent a lot more time on 3 of them than the fourth, you might want to assign them 10%, 10%, 10% and 3% or something. In the end, no one will ring up your uni and demand to see the lecture timetable so that they can double-check your calculations.
    I did 24 modules during my 3 years, 8 modules each year which were all worth 15 credits so I spent the same amount of time on each. Therefore, do I list all my modules and they will all be worth 100 divided by 24 = around 4% each. And then I just tweak it a bit to makesure it adds to 100. Is this right, have I got the right idea? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I did English and American Studies, graduated in 2009 and cannot remember all the modules I did and the credits given. I am simply putting English: 50% American studies: 50%

Think this will be alright?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pansypotter)
    I did English and American Studies, graduated in 2009 and cannot remember all the modules I did and the credits given. I am simply putting English: 50% American studies: 50%

Think this will be alright?
    I'm sure it will be fine. The key thing is to show that 50% of your degree is in the area you wish to teach. There are plenty of people who do it that way. I know someone who put down 100% Biology and got onto a course, so there shouldn't be any problem.

Are you applying for English? Where are you applying to?
    Best of luck with you application!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to do primary! I'm hoping to apply to Goldsmiths and Greenwich I think.
    Thanks, good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel11)
    I did 24 modules during my 3 years, 8 modules each year which were all worth 15 credits so I spent the same amount of time on each. Therefore, do I list all my modules and they will all be worth 100 divided by 24 = around 4% each. And then I just tweak it a bit to makesure it adds to 100. Is this right, have I got the right idea? Thanks
    That's right

ReputationRep:
    I just put the no of credits not the percentage. Is this going to be a big problem as mine has already been submitted.

ReputationRep:
    I put the number of credits too, can't see it being a problem as it asks for time spent/credits. I think the glitches are not letting some people enter the credits for some reason.....it's so much easier than working out percentages though!! At least I hope its not a problem anyway lol because mine's been submitted too! Have you been able to pay for your form yet??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I couldn't put in my credits because I had something like 24 modules, all between 10 and 20 credits. So I had to do percentages.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me work it out?

I did 6 units in first year( 4 of which were 15 credits and 2 of which were 30) 6 units in second year( same) 4 units in third year (2 worth 15 credits, 1 worth 30 and 1 worth 60)... How do I put this into the form?
    I've listed all the unit titles, but how do I actually input time spent/credits... I'll just put in the credits for every unit and see what happens?

Ok so an hour of calculating it all, think I got it right... At least it's let me save and mark as complete now! If there's a chance I got the calculations wrong though, how much of an impact will that have? I have my transcript with every unit grade, will the uni request to look at it if there's any confusion over time spent per unit etc?

ReputationRep:
    Im applying to do a History PGCE, but I studied History and Politics for my bachelors. Can I just check that the general consensus with regards to this section of the application is that I should list my History modules with a percentage, the put 'Politics - 50%' in the 'other subjects' field?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
    Discussions on TSR

• Latest
  • Personalise

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.