Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    Which DELF should someone with GCSE French A* level take? Or which one is equivalent/one level higher? I'm told it's DELF B2?

    Thank you

    Since the Diplôme d'études en langue française is based around the CEFR, you may want to look at what each level means. Personally, I'd say that you should be aiming at B1, rather than B2.

    I've got an A-level at A* in Spanish (and two years of a Spanish degree done), and I still wouldn't class myself above a B1 in terms of how well I can use the language. And the NQF only classifies a GCSE of A*-C as Level 2, which corresponds directly to B1.

    Here are the differences between B1, and B2:

    Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst travelling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes & ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
    Can understand the main ideas of complex text on both concrete and abstract topics, including technical discussions in his/her field of specialisation. Can interact with a degree of fluency and spontaneity that makes regular interaction with native speakers quite possible without strain for either party. Can produce clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects and explain a viewpoint on a topical issue giving the advantages and disadvantages of various options.

    Essentially, the 'equivalent' to an A* in any language GCSE is Level B1; the equivalent to an A-Level in that language is B2. A Bachelor's Degree in any language is equivalent to C1, or the Diplôme approfondi de langue française.

    I got French A for GCSE (ages ago) and now I'm aiming for A2
    I'd say French GCSE is between B1 and A2

    GCSE French is nowhere near B2 - some people on here are doing language degrees and still haven't yet reached B2! GCSE is A2 at most. B2 is fairly advanced -that's the standard required by French universities and businesses for people to study/work there.

    That said, you'd be far better off taking the TCF rather than the DELF as it gives you a level, rather than you deciding which level to take and then passing/failing.
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.