Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Housemate overly sensitive to noise watch

ReputationRep:
    Ask him to get earplugs, if he still complains you just got to live with it and turn it down to his acceptable levels. I had noisy flatmates in my first year who, because they didn't have 9am lectures the next morning or bothered to study at night, thought they could have loud house parties thrice a week AND the weekend so tbh I empathise with your flatmate more. Suffice to say I am very glad none made it past their penultimate year and will probably be making my coffee at the local Starbucks.

ReputationRep:
    tbh i think your housemate is the inconsiderate one. i hate noise, and so i invested in noise-cancelling headphones. he/she needs to adapt their environment to THEIR quirks, not everyone else accommodating them.

ReputationRep:
    what is funny? i mean i thought i had humour but i can not spot the joke?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Instincts_2012)
    There's a mouse in your house..?

Shame http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/p.gif
    i cant tell - its as quiet as house with a mouse, if there is a mouse in my house im going to douse

would you douse a house with a mouse?

(Original post by ohaidani)
    tbh i think your housemate is the inconsiderate one. i hate noise, and so i invested in noise-cancelling headphones. he/she needs to adapt their environment to THEIR quirks, not everyone else accommodating them.
    I understand your point but I think thats a little too extreme. If he wants such absolute silence, he should do his part but it is also my responsibility not to produce any excessive unnecessary noise. And though studying and sleep should always have priority over any sort of fun and leisure, I just can't imagine him needing to study quietly every single day the whole day for the entire year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LazyWorseThanInfidel)
    i cant tell - its as quiet as house with a mouse, if there is a mouse in my house im going to douse

would you douse a house with a mouse?
    Yes, that's what's best, I've heard mouse hates zest, so time to caress them like rubbing lemon on your chest :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Your neighbour is being reasonable when he requests that you turn the volume of your speakers down. He could if he wanted report the matter to the accommodation service and it would be you that is slung out for being a nuisance. He has the decency to approach you. He is not causing a nuisance and so wearing headphones is a sensible solution but you are not willing to take this option up. So I think he may have good grounds to take legal action against you if your noise continues to affect his studies, and quiet enjoyment of his room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamjar)
    Your neighbour is being reasonable when he requests that you turn the volume of your speakers down. He could if he wanted report the matter to the accommodation service and it would be you that is slung out for being a nuisance. He has the decency to approach you. He is not causing a nuisance and so wearing headphones is a sensible solution but you are not willing to take this option up. So I think he may have good grounds to take legal action against you if your noise continues to affect his studies, and quiet enjoyment of his room.
    I hope this was a joke because you are talking absolute rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Buy a huge sub, and play some Coki.

ReputationRep:
    Bare in mind that most uni halls/some flats have very thin walls so even quieter noises can be heard. Perhaps next time when you are watching a film on medium sound during the day/evening and he knocks on your door asking to turn it down, tell him that it's the lowest volume which you can hear the movie, if he still complains see if you can go to his room and stand there for a minute to see what he is hearing.

There isn't much you can do really apart from trying to resolve the issue somehow or get headphones.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.