Turn on thread page Beta

Permanent dye every 6 months or non-permanent dye every 2 months? watch

ReputationRep:
    Which do you think is better?

I have recently used non-permanent dyes, which contain no ammonia.. and my hair looks a lot healthy. However the dye doesnt last as long ( around 2 months), so i dye it more frequently.

Permanent dye obviousy lasts longer, but it contains ammonia, which damages the hair more.

Which do you prefer? (although i use non-permanent dye, i am always tempted to go back to the permanent)

ReputationRep:
    *Buuuump* :/

ReputationRep:
    i change up my colour (not dramatically in the brunette area) with a semi whenever! just keep re doing it its definitely worth not having the ammonia! loreal casting creme gloss is the best semi-dye

ReputationRep:
    Most dyes (semi or not) contain ammonia/peroxide

Dying your hair permanently isn't going to damage it as much as you think. I've been dying mine for 5 years and it's not damaged at all.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer semi as it fades rather than showing re-growth. I just had my highlights covered over with a semi-perm dye at the hairdressers and am quite surprised how good it looks actually.

ReputationRep:
    Permanent might last for six months, but it won't look good for six months - it fades and goes dull, like any other hair colour. But yeah.. as someone else said, dyeing your hair (unless you're frequently bleaching it) isn't going to do as much damage as you think - I dyed mine from the ages of 15-22, and it hasn't done any damage whatsoever - in fact, my hairdresser often remarks on how healthy my hair is.

ReputationRep:
    Don't the roots grow out really badly in 6 months? Or am I missing something here?
    Anyway, I haven't found permanent dye to be damaging. Even bleach didn't really do anything. I think the dangers are overstated somewhat.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.