Turn on thread page Beta

Chemistry - Oxidisation of Alcohols Help Needed!!? watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm revising for a test on structure determination and one question is irritating me: here's part of it.

Compounds C and D, shown below, are isomers of C5H10O
    C is a ketone and D is a cyclic alcohol btw

(d) Identify a reagent that you could use to distinguish between C and D. For each of C and D, state what you would observe when the compound is treated with this reagent.
    Reagent ……………acidified potassium dichromate
    Observation with C …………………no change
    Observation with D ……………Orange to green
    (3)
    (e) Compound E, CH3CH2CH2CH2CHO, is also an isomer of C5H10O
    Identify a reagent which will react with E but not with C or D. State what you would observe when E is treated with this reagent.
    Reagent ………………The answer is Tollens reagent or Benedicts/Fehlings
    Observation with E ………………Silver mirror with tollens or brick red ppt with benedicts/fehlings

My problem is that why can't a tollens or benedicts oxidise a cyclic alcohol? Or is it that they can't oxidise secondary alcohols?

I haven't done this for a few months so would someone help!!?
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Compound E is an aldehyde.
    You could oxidise the cyclic alcohol to a ketone, and then easily distinguish between the two using Tollens reagent. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    I think tollens reagent is simply not a strong enough oxidising agent to oxidise an alcohol, but it is strong enough to oxidise an aldehyde to a carboxylic acid. As to why that's the case, that would be quite complicated I think.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Jin3011)

My problem is that why can't a tollens or benedicts oxidise a cyclic alcohol? Or is it that they can't oxidise secondary alcohols?

I haven't done this for a few months so would someone help!!?
    Thanks.

Neither reagent reacts with alcohols, 1º or 2º.

Tollens and Benedicts react with aldehydes as opposed to ketones.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.