Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Destroying our own planet. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11387175

Do articles like this not worry people?

ReputationRep:
    no but if it was from a reputable source like the daily mail or something I would be more worried.

ReputationRep:
    Meh. Someone else will fix it. And even if they don't then it's still no biggie; I'll be dead by then so it won't really matter either way.

ReputationRep:
    No not really.The world won't be destroyed within 100 years so none of US currently living care about it much.
    The developed country's elected governments don't want short term costs for long term benefits and the third world country governments are too busy worrying about wether they will stay in power.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The selfish, short term minds of some people....

ReputationRep:
    The climate change debate is one fairly doomed I think. Turning off your standby light isn't, on the face of it, going to make any difference. What is needed is some form of mass-mobilisation in the general public, to really make any difference.

The sort of mass-mobilisation that cannot be ignored; marches, demonstrations etc. with thousands of participants, not just tens or hundreds. Levels such as the opposition to the Vietnam war perhaps.

As long as the business philosophy that in essence is based on profit principles for large corporations, no government will make any radical reform in industry to cut greenhouse gases. It would be too detrimental to the markets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Real)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11387175

Do articles like this not worry people?
    In what way does it worry you? I am just curious.

ReputationRep:
    It worries me that this oil will be tapped. People talk about oil running out, but in fact there is too much oil left in the world. It also worries me that the only people with big voices in the environmental arena are clueless and a fair few of them do more harm than good.

ReputationRep:
    We can't deny that we are 'Modern man, ecosystem destroyer', but these things don't worry me. They probably should though.

What can you do about it? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    "The planet is fine, the PEOPLE are ******!" - George Carlin (RIP)

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, so Mother Nature needs a favor?! Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys! Nature started the fight for survival, and now she wants to quit because she’s losing. Well I say, hard cheese.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zap Brannigan)
    Oooh, so Mother Nature needs a favor?! Well maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys! Nature started the fight for survival, and now she wants to quit because she’s losing. Well I say, hard cheese.
    I'm not sure if you're serious but this does highlight that one of the reasons for acceptance and inaction is idiots personifying nature. That's something little kids do before they develop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    I'm not sure if you're serious but this does highlight that one of the reasons for acceptance and inaction is idiots personifying nature. That's something little kids do before they develop.

I think the primary reason for acceptance is that people like you campaign the other way. The next time I burn fossil fuels, I'll think of you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, environmental damage does worry me greatly. This is a beautiful world that we live in, and upsetting it's balance in such a short space of time will be disastrous for humanity. We rely on nature for so much of our so-called wealth - bees alone are worth trillions of dollars in terms of the free pollination services that they provide, and that's just scratching the surface. If humans are to survive, we must learn to control our population and find some equilibrium with our environment. We should set aside large swathes of land for nature, consolidate in a few urban areas and try to build up rather than sprawling across land, utilise nuclear and renewable energies, use the best available practices for the environment at home, in the workplace, in the public arena, expand into space to gather our resources from the barren worlds of the rest of the solar system, etc. If humanity is to survive, we must start to value the environment intrinsically, and that valuation must be immediate and sustained.

However, Carlin is spot on in that the planet will still be here if we die out, and within just a few million years whatever we've done to the planet will be completely erased if we aren't still around. The biosphere will probably recover very quickly - a few decades without human interaction would see virtually all agricultural land return to it's natural state, and a few millennia would erase our urban areas completely. An alien civilisation visiting Earth might think that Earth was just another complex garden world without sapient life, and the only trace that would be left would be a few artificially-created isotopes and polymers that couldn't occur naturally, and the fossil record of course.

Am I worried about the planet in the long-run? No, not at all. Am I worried that humans are about to run into an early, undeserved grave that betrays our real potential to be a fantastic species? Yes, absolutely.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.