Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply to do Computing and Business Studies at Warwick without the Maths or Natural Sciences subject.

I have every other prerequisite and also have an additional A level to A2 already at Grade A with my other predictions A*AA for ICT, Psychology and Media. This is a dream course and I'm kicking myself for not picking my subjects more carefully (poor careers guidance is very apt too, Psychology does not count as a science grr :mad:).

The reason I want them to see my personal statement is because I am easily qualified to do the course, I have years of successful business experience already with some extremely influential names and have been studying Computer Science externally for years and definitely meet the requirement of:

"Breadth
    You must satisfy us that you have a firm background in science and have good literacy skills. This requirement would be met if you are pursuing one science A-level (which might be Mathematics) and one essay-based A-level subject."

My question is will they look at my P.S if I don't have the required subject?

I can easily show them I am able to excel at the course if they look past my subjects and I really would hate if I didn't even get a chance to prove myself! (If anyone wants a copy of my personal statement PM me)

Required subject means required.... if it said 'preferred' you might have a a chance. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    They're not going to choose you over another candidate who does have the required subjects. Not to be harsh, but that's just the way it is :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aaroni)
    I want to apply to do Computing and Business Studies at Warwick without the Maths or Natural Sciences subject.

I have every other prerequisite and also have an additional A level to A2 already at Grade A with my other predictions A*AA for ICT, Psychology and Media. This is a dream course and I'm kicking myself for not picking my subjects more carefully (poor careers guidance is very apt too, Psychology does not count as a science grr :mad:).

The reason I want them to see my personal statement is because I am easily qualified to do the course, I have years of successful business experience already with some extremely influential names and have been studying Computer Science externally for years and definitely meet the requirement of:

"Breadth
    You must satisfy us that you have a firm background in science and have good literacy skills. This requirement would be met if you are pursuing one science A-level (which might be Mathematics) and one essay-based A-level subject."

I can easily show them I am able to excel at the course if they look past my subjects and I really would hate if I didn't even get a chance to prove myself! (If anyone wants a copy of my personal statement PM me)
    you could just do the full al level in one year

ReputationRep:

I have every other prerequisite and also have an additional A level to A2 already at Grade A with my other predictions A*AA for ICT, Psychology and Media. This is a dream course and I'm kicking myself for not picking my subjects more carefully (poor careers guidance is very apt too, Psychology does not count as a science grr ).

"Breadth

They will most likely have enough applicants who do have the required subjects, so you don't really have a chance. If you are that desperate to do the course, take a year out and do the A level in one year, then apply for the 2012 cycle.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with above - if it says required then they will take the candidates who have a science A-level, especially a top University like Warwick. Harsh but true - I desperately wanted to pursue English Lit at Uni being an absolute reading enthusiast, but as I didn't take it at A Level i'm can't study it anywhere
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You might have had a chance if your 3rd subject was better. But it's media.

ReputationRep:
    Unlike what you said, you aren't clearly qualified to do the course.

Maths is very important for computing courses, much more so than ict/computing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies but none of you actually answered my question! Don't worry, I'll ring Warwick and have a look... If not, off to UCL for me!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it says "you would meet this requirement if..."; personally I read that as one way to meet the requirement, rather than the only way. Obviously I don't know about the rest of their literature, if it says somewhere else that it's a required subject then you have more of a problem- but it's definitely a good idea to ask them.

ReputationRep:
    as already said you're in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies but none of you actually answered my question! Don't worry, I'll ring Warwick and have a look... If not, off to UCL for me!
    I dont know for sure if they will read it, probably will do since I think they look through whole applications - but I don't think unless you PS had something amazing about an extra maths course or something then they would consider you

ReputationRep:
    As said, it basically requires you to have a science therefore there is no point in applying.
    However, if you had straight A*s in Science and Maths at GCSE, that may give you a fighting chance as that does show aptitude - email the University and ask!

I shouldn't imagine you'd need an extremely high capability of Science/Maths for the course if you already do ICT (It's not like Business Studies is hard Maths)

And of course they'll consider your PS, but there are requirements put in place for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who'd_Have_Known)
    Maybe I'm wrong, but it says "you would meet this requirement if..."; personally I read that as one way to meet the requirement, rather than the only way. Obviously I don't know about the rest of their literature, if it says somewhere else that it's a required subject then you have more of a problem- but it's definitely a good idea to ask them.
    Finally! Someone who actually read the OP's post.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.