Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Alright all.

I've got a 400 word essay to write for Tuesday, titled:

Distinguish between the concepts of Negative and Positive Liberty.

If you have any ideas on that, I'd be very, very greatful! I've started the Introduction out-lining what they both stand for:

"Positive liberty is defined as the power and resources to act to fulfill one's own potential; as opposed to negative liberty, which is freedom from restraint"

However, that, and adding, "It may appear, at first glance, that there are no distinctions. However, this is not the case", (a tip from the Text-Book's over-view of the Q.

Like I said, I'd be very greatful for any help, and there will definitely be pos-rep for the best posts.

Thanks ever-so-much, TSR!

ReputationRep:
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/liberty-positive-negative/

^^ Very good site

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/liberty-positive-negative/

^^ Very good site
    Well, was just asking for anyone's opinions.
    Fair enough, though.

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at some of Adam curtis's documentaries on Isiah Berlin, The Trap, we will force you to be free is particularly good, as is the power of nightmares.

It's all on YouTube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan656)
    Have a look at some of Adam curtis's documentaries on Isiah Berlin, The Trap, we will force you to be free is particularly good, as is the power of nightmares.

It's all on YouTube.
    Cool, thanks bro! I'll have a look at them!

Cheers man!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    Alright all.

I've got a 400 word essay to write for Tuesday, titled:

Distinguish between the concepts of Negative and Positive Liberty.

If you have any ideas on that, I'd be very, very greatful! I've started the Introduction out-lining what they both stand for:

"Positive liberty is defined as the power and resources to act to fulfill one's own potential; as opposed to negative liberty, which is freedom from restraint"

However, that, and adding, "It may appear, at first glance, that there are no distinctions. However, this is not the case", (a tip from the Text-Book's over-view of the Q.

Like I said, I'd be very greatful for any help, and there will definitely be pos-rep for the best posts.

Thanks ever-so-much, TSR!

I had an essay very similar to this around six months ago, but it was on the whole Liberalism bandwagon.

Your points on Positive and Negative strands are very well (briefly) written.

Perhaps provide examples of these things?

For the Positive Liberty/Freedom element - perhaps draw upon the welfare state and how it provides individuals the means to achieve what they couldn't achieve by themselves? So refer to things such as Government intervening to allow individuals to do things (e.g. Scotland and no tuition fees - allowing people to be more qualified by taking away the financial burden). So for instance, this sort of liberty allows people to develop themselves so that they can achieve the great goals they have set themselves, whereas without this intervention it would have been near to impossible.

For Negative Liberty/Freedom you could make reference to totalitarian states of the past such as the USSR (especially the USSR!) and Nazi Germany (equally so) and how the strength of those governments took away freedom of choice and the ability to decide an individuals own destiny. By embracing negative liberty, we can avoid these things from occuring again. You can refer to the US Constitution which provides for freedom of speech and the freedom to bear arms - both of which give individuals a degree of freedom from government, and it is basically guaranteed for eternity that way.

If you need any other pointers, shoot away!

And you can note that a common feature of both is government, but that the application of this government is what sets the two strands of thought apart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stanley Baldwin)
    I had an essay very similar to this around six months ago, but it was on the whole Liberalism bandwagon.

Your points on Positive and Negative strands are very well (briefly) written.

Perhaps provide examples of these things?

For the Positive Liberty/Freedom element - perhaps draw upon the welfare state and how it provides individuals the means to achieve what they couldn't achieve by themselves? So refer to things such as Government intervening to allow individuals to do things (e.g. Scotland and no tuition fees - allowing people to be more qualified by taking away the financial burden). So for instance, this sort of liberty allows people to develop themselves so that they can achieve the great goals they have set themselves, whereas without this intervention it would have been near to impossible.

For Negative Liberty/Freedom you could make reference to totalitarian states of the past such as the USSR (especially the USSR!) and Nazi Germany (equally so) and how the strength of those governments took away freedom of choice and the ability to decide an individuals own destiny. By embracing negative liberty, we can avoid these things from occuring again. You can refer to the US Constitution which provides for freedom of speech and the freedom to bear arms - both of which give individuals a degree of freedom from government, and it is basically guaranteed for eternity that way.

If you need any other pointers, shoot away!

And you can note that a common feature of both is government, but that the application of this government is what sets the two strands of thought apart.

Brilliant! Cheers mate! I owe you and the poster who suggested vids Pos-Rep tomorrow and the day after. Thanks so much!

Remind me tomorrow night, and I'll be sure to drop you some on Tuesday.

Cheers again, mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    Brilliant! Cheers mate! I owe you and the poster who suggested vids Pos-Rep tomorrow and the day after. Thanks so much!

Remind me tomorrow night, and I'll be sure to drop you some on Tuesday.

Cheers again, mate!
    Perhaps a little later than 'tomorrow night', but I shall remind you anyway. Just in case you didn't!

Were my points alright though? I think I went about an essay that way and did fairly well.

I wish you every success for that essay.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.