Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just started 2nd year... really want to drop out. Help please! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello all

I just moved into my new house for the 2nd year of uni. I spent the entire 1st year HATING the whole situation, 250 miles from home, missing my boyfriend of 2 years, having more arguments with him too. Rock-bottom motivation to do my course (illustration) and feel the whole experience has sapped me of my want to draw. I don't feel I can do the course anymore, and I really really, really want to just go home. I started the 2nd year, to give the benefit of the doubt that I'd enjoy it more, but I feel worse than I ever have before. It feels no more homely than student halls. I'd rather go home without a degree, than spend the rest of my 2 years at uni feeling depressed and sick to the stomach.

Can anybody please give me guideance as to what I can do regarding money situations? I've obviously signed up to the contract for the house, and have to pay no matter if I stay or leave. If I find someone else to fill my room, can I simply get the landlord to change details over?

Also what happens regarding student loans? I've recieved my loan for this year, would I have to start paying it back as soon as I left? Or would it be after I earn 15k a year? And do tuition fees not get paid until Christmas time? I could cancel that before they were paid, if so.

Last but not least, how would I actually go about quitting the course? Who should I go and see?

Many thanks
    Louisa

ReputationRep:
    Hey Louisa,

Firstly, don't stress!!

My girlfriend was in a very similiar situation, she was living out and really didnt like staying away from family and home. She stayed for half a year but really didnt adapt so she decided to quit, go home and think things over with her family.

She's back at Uni now, living at home and enjoying her course a lot more than before (Maths). She's starting 2nd year lectures tomorrow actually!

I don't have all your answers but the most important thing to do is to see your personal advisor as soon as possible and explain everything, be honest and DON'T WORRY! You're not the only one who's in this situation and believe me, you won't be the last!

-Emal

ReputationRep:
    Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit.

ReputationRep:
    Ask if you can change course and see if that helps, or join a new society and see if you can make more friends. Don't quit so easily yet. If you go to uni with the mind set that it will suck, then it will. Its all in the mind set.

ReputationRep:
    I know it seems like giving up- but to put myself through such grief and stress each time I leave home or my boyfriend leaves after a visit- its not worth it. I'd rather be happy and not have a degree than spend two years in distress and get a degree that doesn't seem to benefit my career. I've not been this unhappy in a LONG time.

Thanks for the replies

ReputationRep:
    With regards to your student loan, you will have to pay the full amount back if you leave. You can either pay the sum you've loaned in full or in equal installments over a fixed period, usually 12 months. Happened to me 3 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you the same advice I gave to my gf. Quit. Go back, think things over and maybe go Uni somewhere closer to home? I know how you feel because she went through the same thing.
    She moved to my Uni and now we go to Uni together and she stays at home so she's a lot happier.
    It's your happiness and comfort that matters at the end of the day, if your heart isn't in it, you will be wasting your time.
    Do whatever makes you happy, I know its sounds cliche, but it works

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.