Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The question I have chosen for my Russian history coursework is 'How strong was Tsarism in 1914?' Not many people have chosen this question in my class and therefore I couldn't get any book recommendations other than from my teacher, who seems to only recommend Bolshevik books. I was just wondering if anyone had any other recommendations that would help my research into the strengths of Tsarism in this period considering optimist and pessimist views on the issue. I've had a look, but can't find any books that favour Tsarism in this period. Thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Well the Tsar had been hurt by the 1905 revolution but the declaration of war made him extremely popular again. The economy was also strong in this period which meant that there was not going to be a revolution. Also worth mentioning that the Russians had some early victories against the Germans and Austrians which obviously helped. Also, in this period, the Tsar still had the support of the army and aristocracy, the people who forced him to step down in the end.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacf)
    The question I have chosen for my Russian history coursework is 'How strong was Tsarism in 1914?' Not many people have chosen this question in my class and therefore I couldn't get any book recommendations other than from my teacher, who seems to only recommend Bolshevik books. I was just wondering if anyone had any other recommendations that would help my research into the strengths of Tsarism in this period considering optimist and pessimist views on the issue. I've had a look, but can't find any books that favour Tsarism in this period. Thanks a lot.
    National monarchy. By I.L. Solonevich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul PTS)
    National monarchy. By I.L. Solonevich.
    Thank you very much.

(Original post by adamrules247)
    Well the Tsar had been hurt by the 1905 revolution but the declaration of war made him extremely popular again. The economy was also strong in this period which meant that there was not going to be a revolution. Also worth mentioning that the Russians had some early victories against the Germans and Austrians which obviously helped. Also, in this period, the Tsar still had the support of the army and aristocracy, the people who forced him to step down in the end.

Hope this helps
    Thanks also. Although, I did already know some of this information, it is mostly about historiography within this coursework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacf)
    Thank you very much.

Thanks also. Although, I did already know some of this information, it is mostly about historiography within this coursework.
    I see.

You may want to try Russia Under the Old Regime by Richard Pipes or possibly the one about Tsarist Russia by G. Hosking (which I'm reading now).

You can find some stuff in the Heinemann book on "The Modernisation of Russia" - I think it's by Laver.

The textbook by Corin and Fiehn is OK too if there's one knocking about, but it's pretty expensive to buy yourself considering how little you use it, so I wouldn't worry if you can't get hold of one.

I didn't do this question, so I'm not sure what else to suggest. Hope these help though.

ReputationRep:
    You can see if Orlando Figes, A People's Tragedy, is of any use.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone, I ended up with a B.

Great, cheers for updating us.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 4, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.