Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well, I just started my History degree at Leeds Met. After reading the first two modules, I'm starting to think the course is a bit of a joke. Would a history degree from a university like Leeds Met even be worth anything in the current job market?
    Or am i just wasting my time and money?

ReputationRep:
    Realistically, you probably won't feel you've gained a lot by the end of it. The problem is, there hardly is a job market at the moment so with or without a degree, you are still likely to struggle to find work.

ReputationRep:
    yes, you are. harsh but true sorry.

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing a degree just for your future career prospects then in the short term it will feel like a bit of a waste of time but this won't be the case in the longer term, this being said you have only just started your degree so could be a lot different in a few years.

ReputationRep:
    How do you mean? Like what modules make you think it'll be a joke? Is it the content, how they are assessed etc.

ReputationRep:
    The module reading lists on the Leeds Met website date from 2008-9 but assuming it is the same this year, you will spend three years studying Hitler, slavery and the Empire. Given that you have probably spent the past 13 years studying Hitler, slavery and Empire, I see why you have concerns about the course.

ReputationRep:
    It's honestly not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't have chosen to do history at Leeds Met. Buttt, if you liked the course content, the city etc. you could have a good time learning about something you enjoy. And worry about your job prospects later.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.