Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been at university for a week now and I know people will think it is not long enough to make a decision, but I really dislike my course.

When looking through courses, I was amazed to find Creative writing. Now I love writing short stories and poems and after reading the course details, I was drawn in...

Now, after attending for a week, I feel like I am destroying my passion for writing. The course is just not working for me - instead it is making me lose my love for something.

I have always wanted to be a teacher and I thought 'do a degree in creatvie writing and then one year teaching at the end to qualify as a teacher.' Now I feel like I should have just chosen a teaching/educational course and am stuck... What do I do?

Any help/advise appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you could still try changing to an education course - do they do things like that at your uni? They've got to give people a few weeks to change their minds so as long as you have enough qualifications and points, you should get in.

The problem with studying things like creative writing is that they go from being a great way to express yourself at your own pace to being a restrictive box where your truest expression is stifled.

ReputationRep:
    I'd try and stay a bit longer - a month perhaps. You're usually advised to stick it out to Christmas.

You might change your mind once you've settled in.

ReputationRep:
    Go to your university advice centre asap and discuss your options. It's best to change course near the beginning so you don't miss too much of your new course.

I waited a term and was told that I wouldn't be able to change course until the next academic year

ReputationRep:
    This is what happened to me with A Level music. Music used to be my whole life- I used to compose my own music, songs, play about 12 different instruments, play in bands etc. However since I HAD to do it, and it was sooo stressful, it just killed any passion I had for it Don't let the same thing happen to you! See if your uni will let you switch onto another course x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vhvhvh)
    The problem with studying things like creative writing is that they go from being a great way to express yourself at your own pace to being a restrictive box where your truest expression is stifled.
    They don't have to. Ultimately if you're just writing to please yourself then a course could destroy it, but if you actually want to become good at it and move out of your comfort zone and write something that other people will engage with rather than something that just expresses you, then you need to be challenged. With anything worth doing - music, writing, maths, science, anything - even if you have a natural flair and liking for it, there comes a point where you have to put in the slog and work through the difficulties to get to a stage where you actually get expertise and develop as a writer/musician/scientist/whatever. Thinking that love is enough is very limiting and could well restrict you to never moving beyond a pretty mediocre and self-indulgent level of whatever it is that you love doing.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.