Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for distracting, but I'd like to ask a question of my own. Will doing four subjects increase my chances of getting an offer, on the principle that they could just so "Oh, we'll make him get four As just to be sure"? Also, would four subjects at A-level be more important if I were doing a joint degree, considering the extra workload that would involve?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, four A-levels is an advantage, in the case that instead of AAA you get AAAA (or A*AA becomes A*AAA, etc). If it significantly brings down your other grades, it's not necassarily good. The offer will almost always just consist of three As, although they might specificy in which subjects they want them. It's not something specific for joint degrees, except where they require (or recommend) certain subjects and you want to take all of those which totals as more that three.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, in contrast to what most people might think, the answer is no. I went to the chemistry open day a few weeks ago, and spoke to a chemistry admissions tutor about this very same thing, and they said that they show no preference to candidates taking four A-levels over three as they understand that some schools will not allow their students to take four A-levels; and so to avoid unfair discrimination, a candidate offering four A-levels will recieve no preference over one offering three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hajolli)
    Actually, in contrast to what most people might think, the answer is no. I went to the chemistry open day a few weeks ago, and spoke to a chemistry admissions tutor about this very same thing, and they said that they show no preference to candidates taking four A-levels over three as they understand that some schools will not allow their students to take four A-levels; and so to avoid unfair discrimination, a candidate offering four A-levels will recieve no preference over one offering three.
    Some uni eg Cambridge do sometimes make 4 A level offers if you are offering 4 A levels. That's why my sister decided to drop her 4th one last October just in case she didn't manage an A in that subject and it jeopardised her offer. She made her Cambridge offer easily without the stress of that exam though she was a bit bored having so many frees.
    As I want to do engineering I am not dropping my 4th subject - further maths - as a lot of unis like you to have done further maths. It probably depends on how relevant the subject is to your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simpry)
    Sorry for distracting, but I'd like to ask a question of my own. Will doing four subjects increase my chances of getting an offer, on the principle that they could just so "Oh, we'll make him get four As just to be sure"? Also, would four subjects at A-level be more important if I were doing a joint degree, considering the extra workload that would involve?
    Most of the time I belive Oxford make an AAA offer rather than AAAA, even if you have 4 A-levels, so in principle it doesn't matter that much. I practice however I found it much less stressful to have the 'buffer' of an extra subject - I knew that if I screwed up one of my grades (other than the subject they specifically asked for) I could still make it in. So, it's more of a personal choice. if you think you can deal with the workload it might well be an advantage; if you want a bit more free time and aren't that worried, then don't. Simple enough.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.