Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got a distinction in Edexcel's Dida course, which is equivalent to an A* at GCSE. I also got an A* in religious studies (short course)
    Do medical schools count these qualifications as GCSEs?
    I may apply to Birmingham, and they want 8 A*s next time round, could my ICT and RE qualifications count toward this number?

Thanks in advance!!!

ReputationRep:
    My university didn't count short courses or the GNVQ I did. But I think Birmingham may count half gcse's as half gcse's. Have you checked their prospectus?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't think anywhere counts the DiDA. Which is an absolute joke because I was forced to do it and it took up loads of my time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mahia)
    My university didn't count short courses or the GNVQ I did. But I think Birmingham may count half gcse's as half gcse's. Have you checked their prospectus?
    haven't checked it thoroughly, but i will. that gives me 8.5 A*s, so I'm praying that they don't ask for 9 by 2012 entry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    I don't think anywhere counts the DiDA. Which is an absolute joke because I was forced to do it and it took up loads of my time.
    yup same, so many afterschool and lunch sessions for some crappy qualification. i cant see what was wrong with an IT GCSE, our school should have made us take one

ReputationRep:
    DiDA is accepted by Leicester, SGUL, Kings, Southampton, Keele....I'm not sure about the other as I have not emailed them yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Master.K)
    DiDA is accepted by Leicester, SGUL, Kings, Southampton, Keele....I'm not sure about the other as I have not emailed them yet.
    I should get emailing too but if you do find out of any other universities that do please pm me or quote me or whatever
    I just sorta applied I really should check these things, I have 2D in DiDA, and a grade equivalent to 2 A*'s in BTEC sport too...I'm hoping they count them it would help so muchh :yes:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ah that's a pain. All those are universities that only require the minimum GCSE grades and don't give 'extra marks' for more A*'s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me...x)
    I should get emailing too but if you do find out of any other universities that do please pm me or quote me or whatever
    I just sorta applied I really should check these things, I have 2D in DiDA, and a grade equivalent to 2 A*'s in BTEC sport too...I'm hoping they count them it would help so muchh :yes:
    DiDA is four gcse's.
    CiDA is two.

Check on your certificate whether it says 'certificate of digital applications' or 'diploma of digital applications'.

ReputationRep:
    ooh excellent, cheers for doing all the e-mailing! post a full list on here when you are done, and i will put it in my initial thread post

ReputationRep:
    I emailed Birmingham about short course GCSEs and they said they count as 0.5 of a GCSE - so in short, yes.

ReputationRep:
    DiDA is four gcse's.
    CiDA is two.

Check on your certificate whether it says 'certificate of digital applications' or 'diploma of digital applications'.
    I did DiDA, four projects in two years but the result is 2D which is apparently equivalent to 4 A*'s...it would help loads if I apply to Birmingham. I'm too bust with UKCATs and PS right now but I'll get ringing next week hopefully. Tell me if you find out anything, will be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carpet21)
    I emailed Birmingham about short course GCSEs and they said they count as 0.5 of a GCSE - so in short, yes.
    :woo: Thank you!! +rep for you!

ReputationRep:
    well I got an A* in citizenship short course and my number of gcses was always counted as 9 and not 8 and a half..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iche)
    well I got an A* in citizenship short course and my number of gcses was always counted as 9 and not 8 and a half..
    Sweet! I can haz 9 A*s maybe
    And how did you get citizenship A*?!?!? Only 2% get an A*, and I got an A without revision and an hour every 3 weeks :L you must have had weekly lessons or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Ah that's a pain. All those are universities that only require the minimum GCSE grades and don't give 'extra marks' for more A*'s.
    King's don't give extra marks for A*s? :lolwut:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by gildartz)
    King's don't give extra marks for A*s? :lolwut:
    Not if that A* is an equivalent coming from a DiDA course, no. Kings told me that they don't accept the DiDA so I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iche)
    hiii
    im applying for med 2011 entry
    when you say was always counted do you mean by the uni or by yourself (not in a rude way lol)
    because i have 8a* and 2a* half course but i have always said i have 10a*s. So did the uni's accept yours as 9 a*?
    thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I’m applying for med 2011 entry
    I was wondering how much do poor GCSE grades affect med places at Imperial, I didn’t do so well in my GCSEs but predicted AAAA for AS is that still ok ?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.