Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Title is vague I know - let me explain:

When someone says a word that I have never heard or when I read an article/book that uses a word I have never seen I Google it and find the definition. But if I read it once and don't encounter it again for a long while I soon forget what it meant and need to Google it again. It's annoying adding dictionary definitions as 'favourites' because it's not convenient. So are there any website where you can sort of interact and 'add' words to your 'new words' list. Or new words for specific subjects eg 'Words relating to X article' etc.
    Before anyone says 'just buy a dictionary', 1) I have one and 2) I only want to 'save' words that I don't know.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... So you'd like an online dictionary which you can save words you don't know on one page so you can easily find them again?

But to answer your question, no I don't know of any.

Copy and paste to word?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, seems like there's a gap in the market....

ReputationRep:
    Erm, but if you forget what they mean, instead of going to your list of saved words to recall what they mean, you could just use a dictionary again. It takes the same effort.
    Unless you mean you forget the word completely. In which case, you don't encounter it often enough to need to remember it.
    Or just make a Word document. then you can check the words even when you're not online.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Erm, but if you forget what they mean, instead of going to your list of saved words to recall what they mean, you could just use a dictionary again. It takes the same effort.
    Unless you mean you forget the word completely. In which case, you don't encounter it often enough to need to remember it.
    Or just make a Word document. then you can check the words even when you're not online.
    Yes, I mean if you forget the word completely.

I don't see 'not seeing the word ever again' as a good enough reason for not learning it. You could say that about almost anything you've ever forgotten from school - just because you forget it doesn't mean you're better off having forgotten it. Meh, I just like learning new things and having them stay in my brain .
    I know I could make a word document but I was looking for something much more interactive which would perhaps promote learning. I know there is online boggle and such....and the free dictionary have a few games, but it would be good to programme a game to an individuals need - so that it would test you on things you're keen on learning in amongst other general questions.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.