Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone worked in a strip club? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

So I'm in my final year of uni and I'm really skint compared to last year. To cut a long story short I'm thinking of trying out dancing at a strip club/lapdance club. Has anyone worked in one before, as a dancer or on the bar etc? If so, was it good for the dancers? I.e. what was the house fee, was it a good girl/client ratio, well policed touching policy, welcoming to new girls? If you can name the clubs that would be great... there are great clubs out there (from what little I can find from the girls' perspective), just which ones?

ReputationRep:
    depends - can you tell me what university you go to and subequently all strip clubs within that area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smeca)
    I'm at Sheffield. The only ones I know of are spearmint rhino and score's. I could take the train to nearby cities, though.
    Oh and you know how brilliant the train service is at 2am :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If I was you, I'd try to get a normal job before you go down this avenue. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some lovely people in strip clubs, who have then go on to have very prosperous careers... However, imagine putting a strip club job down on your CV, and think how that would look to a future employer.

Having such a job down on your CV could affect what jobs you could apply for. For example, if you were going for a teaching job, or a job working with children; having been a stripper/lap dancer might go against you. It might not, but I would look for normal employment before you go for this... surely your uni has a job vacancy place. I know one person who went to Sheffield uni, and they got advice off the union or something about finding suitable jobs. Maybe try there first.

But, if your heart is set on doing this, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    I've considered it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeW975)
    If I was you, I'd try to get a normal job before you go down this avenue. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are some lovely people in strip clubs, who have then go on to have very prosperous careers... However, imagine putting a strip club job down on your CV, and think how that would look to a future employer.

Having such a job down on your CV could affect what jobs you could apply for. For example, if you were going for a teaching job, or a job working with children; having been a stripper/lap dancer might go against you. It might not, but I would look for normal employment before you go for this... surely your uni has a job vacancy place. I know one person who went to Sheffield uni, and they got advice off the union or something about finding suitable jobs. Maybe try there first.

Just because you've done a job doesn't mean you have to put it on a CV :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:

Who says you have to put it on your CV?

Edit: Damn you Drewski, you beat me to the point!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Who says you have to put it on your CV?

Edit: Damn you Drewski, you beat me to the point!
    You don't have to put it on the CV, but it means you've missed out on an opportunity to get a job which you could put on a CV.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you, I'd try to get a normal job before you go down this avenue
    it is a normal job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Just because you've done a job doesn't mean you have to put it on a CV :rolleyes:
    True, but what do you say to a potential employer who asks the following question;

"Oh, I see there is a years gap on your employment records. What did you do during this time? Did you get any experience? Did you have any other voluntary jobs?"

I guess you can lie to them, but having a gap isn't always great. Anyway, each to their own. I simply wouldn't advise someone to work in a strip joint unless they are really, really desperate... I mean, surely there is normal bar work going, or normal work going in shops in Sheffield. There are tons of places hiring for XMAS temps... or maybe people want easy money... bah, I don't care. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    You don't have to put it on the CV, but it means you've missed out on an opportunity to get a job which you could put on a CV.
    Not really. If no other relevant paying jobs are available, then earning some money is better than being poor.

ReputationRep:
    True, but what do you say to a potential employer who asks the following question;

"Oh, I see there is a years gap on your employment records. What did you do during this time? Did you get any experience? Did you have any other voluntary jobs?"

I guess you can lie to them, but having a gap isn't always great. Anyway, each to their own. I simply wouldn't advise someone to work in a strip joint unless they are really, really desperate... I mean, surely there is normal bar work going, or normal work going in shops in Sheffield. There are tons of places hiring for XMAS temps... or maybe people want easy money... bah, I don't care. :rolleyes:
    You'd say I was at university at the time and concentrating on my third year final studies. A perfectly reasonable explanation for a gap in employment.

ReputationRep:

or simply dont put it on your CV

A stripper will easily make in one night more than you would earn a full weeks wage at retail for less hours to boot.

And its simple in relation to the CV as well lie, death in family, wanted to relax, was on holiday etc etc etc.

OP try one of the bigger upmarket clubs they look after the girls better, take less of a cut and the no touching policy is heavily enforced.

ReputationRep:
    Tis clearly just the opinion of one person here but I would reason that this is a fairly written article. It's inevitable that you're going to be objectified and that would come as part of the job but it's the other aspects discussed in this article that one perhaps would not initially think of that sound very offputting (e.g the pressure to do more than dance due to the competition from other dancers...I can't imagine that such a thing would do very much for someone's self esteem: not from a "sexual play for money" point of view but in the sense that it might make you see every other female on this earth as competition for a long time after doing this job and that, I think, would be a horrible train of thought to get into!)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/19/gender.uk

ReputationRep:
    If I was slim and couldn't get a more respectable job I would consider it tbh.

The bills need to be paid somehow.

ReputationRep:
    I've worked at a strip club two years ago but only for three months (in the summer). I can't help you because it happened in my home country, so can't suggest it. But I can say it's hard. Very very hard.
    Firstly, I thought it was about just dancing whole night, I had done that about thousand times, so even better doing it for money. But it is NOT! I worked 5 nights a week, as a waitress and a dancer in turns.
    The first negative thing is that you have to drink. A lot, because clients want you to. Which is fun in the beginning, but can be pretty rough after 4 days massive drinking (I mean at least 8-10 shots a night)
    The second negative thing is that you can't dress in comfy shoes and dresses (like you'd go to clubbing), I had to wear the club's uniform which was very uncomfortable and the shoes were killing my legs.
    The third is that although there were several security guards around us, clients were khm very pushy if you know what I mean.
    The only positive thing was the money. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Not really. If no other relevant paying jobs are available, then earning some money is better than being poor.
    Yaha, but I didn't say anything that would lead to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddorie)
    I've worked at a strip club two years ago but only for three months (in the summer). I can't help you because it happened in my home country, so can't suggest it. But I can say it's hard. Very very hard.
    Firstly, I thought it was about just dancing whole night, I had done that about thousand times, so even better doing it for money. But it is NOT! I worked 5 nights a week, as a waitress and a dancer in turns.
    The first negative thing is that you have to drink. A lot, because clients want you to. Which is fun in the beginning, but can be pretty rough after 4 days massive drinking (I mean at least 8-10 shots a night)
    The second negative thing is that you can't dress in comfy shoes and dresses (like you'd go to clubbing), I had to wear the club's uniform which was very uncomfortable and the shoes were killing my legs.
    The third is that although there were several security guards around us, clients were khm very pushy if you know what I mean.
    The only positive thing was the money. :/
    Poor thing, having to wear a uniform AND drink a lot? You have my sympathy.

ReputationRep:

A CV isn't a UCAS form, you don't have to disclose every job you've had.

ReputationRep:
    That’s like saying being in a Rock band is a normal job lol

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.