Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Student tuition fees could triple to £10,000 under Government plans to slash direct state funding for universities, it emerged today.

Ministers are said to be considering savage cuts to university teaching grants of up to two-thirds, with funding for arts and humanities degrees being removed altogether.

Under plans expected to be set out next month, universities could be given more power to levy higher fees to make up the shortfall.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-to-10000.html
    I bet students will go mad at this :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thank God I started Uni in 2004!

it wont happen.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what they want to do...those who aim for high paid job (city law firms, banking, brand managing, etc...) will be relieved it's not the uncapped graduate tax!

ReputationRep:
    higher fees are a good thing. it'll make people think twice about doing crappy degrees. use the search function and you'll find it has quite a bit of support on here

lowering grants on the other hand is a bad idea, as is scrapping funding for humanities degrees

ReputationRep:
    Thank goodness I'm planning on going to Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    It should happen or foreign students should be banned: it's really unfair that the best British students can't compete fairly for places with foreign students. This allows for that to happen so is a much fairer system. If your degree isn't worth the cost of you doing it then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    If this happens, it's off to the Netherlands for me, I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    Raising fees is the only way to progress If we want to retain the reputation of our universities. They are already starting to slip in the rankings and will continue to do so until the correct funding is available, and considering there is no chance of that coming from the Govt then raising fees is the only option.

Aslong as they are not US level, then Im all for this. (as long as grants and loans are still available that is, and only if it puts an end to the notion of the graduate tax)

There's the usual argument of "Axe the mickey mouse degrees, means people can do the real stuff for free" but I don't think that's how it'll pan out. Right now, there are too many people going to University. End result? Degrees don't carry the same weight and there are even fewer of those coveted things called "jobs" available at the end of it all.

I don't agree with cutting funding for humanities, despite being a science student myself. Rocket science it ain't - get rid of BSc (Hons) Theme Park Maintenance Management and MA Japanese Wallpaper Design and call it a day. Cut the joke subjects and charge reasonable amounts for what's left (e.g. history usw.). I don't agree with any cuts that will affect core traditional subject areas like medicine, dentistry, mathematics, history etc.

ReputationRep:
    Singling out Arts and Humanities for the biggest cuts? :wtf: Far too obvious. You do know April Fools is still over seven months away right? :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    higher fees are a good thing. it'll make people think twice about doing crappy degrees. use the search function and you'll find it has quite a bit of support on here

lowering grants on the other hand is a bad idea, as is scrapping funding for humanities degrees

how are higher fees going to be fair on those who want to do good degrees?

Surely making it harder to get in, and getting rid of crappy degrees is a better alternative.

ReputationRep:
    I am torn on the scrapping arts front. On the one hand, I firmly believe in equal opportunities. On the other hand, a degree is simply not necessary for artistic output in the same way as it is for science. To go into scientific research it is necessary to have a scientific education up to the limits of what we already know. To be a concert pianist or an author you really don't need the same kind of education.

ReputationRep:
    I do think this should be followed by a purge in mickey mouse courses.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like the brain drain is gonna happen quite soon. My sister is thinking of going to university in canada where her citizenship will allow her cheaper subsidised fees at around 5000 quid a year.

I agree to cut the mickey mouse courses, but not to cut arts and humanities funding. the best professors, teachers etc will move elsewhere and the government seriously underestimates the amoutn of revenue and value of proper arts degrees toward maintaining culture to society. I also agree with raising fees, albeit not to this astronomical level (and this discards inevitably higher living costs too). its simply a recipie for either a brain drain, or millions of young people on the dole as there simply arent enough shop assistant jobs or apprenticeships at car garages to go around.

ReputationRep:
    Scrap degrees like "Abuse studies", "event management", "travel and tourism" etc and all funding problems will be solved.

ReputationRep:
    Look like tsr maybe a little less tory soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    agreed.

If we're going to do this, then lets at least do it properly.

However if private institutions want to offer them on a purely privately funded basis then I see no problem in doing so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    sorry, but i do find your views on the future of universities quite laughable.

ok, i agree that mickey mouse courses should be cut. that is a general consensus among most serious students.

Now, you also agree with rising fees. great. However, say they shot up to 10,000 a year, then your politics degree- just for tuition, would cost just shy of about 30,000. This is taking away living costs.

'Thats fine, as long as i get a loan to match it'. Well HERE is the biggest problem. Mr. Willetts has already said there is no point doing that as it requires higher borrowing per annum, something this government dosent want. They ruled out the graduate tax too, meaning that the student loans system has to reform.

Imo, the only way where borrowing can be reduced but students still look at university favourably is either if arts courses are cut to two years (a joke as in most countries a BA is 4 years) or if a student has to pay upfront fees. The latter ostracises poorer students who would have otherwise had a chance to go to university. In fact, it dosent even harm the poor kids as much as it harms the lower echelons of the middle class. what youd find is that for your politics degree, you would have to take out a commercial loan with interest, and hope you get a high flying job afterward.

So how do you feel about higher fees now ?

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we all agree on cutting certain subjects, but it would be interesting to hear the opinions of some people who actually study these subjects.

Do they really do it just so they can party and put off real life for 3 years?

Do they think that it will help their career?

Do they do it just because they like the course?

Finally, this country is desperately in need of people with a background in a serious discipline to shore up the economy and compete in the high tech industries where we still can. Engineering, maths, compsci etc.. should definitely be protected.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.