Turn on thread page Beta

University fees 'could triple to £10,000' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cynthialf)
    This has been answered in this thread indeed; you will pay according to the old system if you apply in this cycle.
    You cannot possibly know what the ConDems are planning. Historical precedent is now irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Utter twaddle of course.
    International students pay the going rate, no more, no less. The UK govt subsidises UK students.
    What did you mean by that? I don't really understand the way things are going in England. Care to elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachesishere)
    What source is that from?
    Here you are you lazy *******. Speech to the university chancellors reported here

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...y-2075418.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zungerman090)
    What did you mean by that? I don't really understand the way things are going in England. Care to elaborate?
    Cost of university education = £X000
    Cost to international student = £X000
    Cost to UK student = £3000 + Subsidy from UK govt of £X000 - £3000

ReputationRep:
    Ah. I kind of figured that UK students usually pay from £3000-£4000. Maybe I didn't phrase what I meant to say well enough. What I meant to say is that I believe that most UK students manage to borrow money from the government to pay for their fees. Then they repay their loan when their salary is more than £20,000 per annum. Actually, nevermind. If this whole reform is approved (if it is not already), will the prices for International students go up?

ReputationRep:
    So international students aren't at any advantage when applying to british unis?

ReputationRep:
    why should they, they pay the market rate already. If that rises their fees will rise too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asdfg0987)
    So international students aren't at any advantage when applying to british unis?
    yes, because the govt caps the number of UK students it is prepared to subsidise and won't allow the universities to exceed the cap without being heavily fined.

ReputationRep:
    The government should close down all the frivolous none academic courses like media studies or film. Some people might be interested in them but why should the taxpayer subsides people's interests? I am interested in dross TV programmes but the government hasn't given me any money towards my SKY subscription.

ReputationRep:
    why should they, they pay the market rate already. If that rises their fees will rise too.
    That sure relieved me. Not really keen on paying 30,000 quid for my last year of education (if I can last that long). Thanks for clearing things up.

ReputationRep:
    If you want a utilitarian argument for higher education surely you need to look at the jobs market. For instance there is absolutely no need for the number of accountants we produce. More accountants are produced in the UK each year than in the rest of Europe combined, whereas the golf management course has one of the highest post graduation work placement successes of all degree courses.

ReputationRep:
    omfg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hussain101)
    typical rich person talk like i "want to make my own way" without parents help/ bullockss if u can spend 20 grand a year for maybe 12 years u can pay 10 grand for three years. sorry
    Um...my parents haven't spent £20,000 a year for 12 years....where on earth did you get that from?!

Please stop making assumptions about me! Also what on earth is wrong with not wanting to sponge off my parents?! If people with low family incomes aren't expected to get any parental help, how can you justify parents with better paid jobs (who are likely to work long hours) being charged for the same 'product' for their 21 or 22 year old "child"?

Also not that this is any of your business but they have re-mortgaged 3 times, and obviously the recession isn't helping them so they don't have anything like £10,000 a year for 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    1.Cut mickey mouse subjects first of all. That is the starting point, they should at least look to cut the crappy stuff first before they start restricting funding (which would affect every student)

2. When this is done there should be ZERO cuts to other subjects and tuition fees should be kept as they are now. There would be uproar if the government said they were going to cut all funding for arts/humanities and raise fees to £10,000.

By raising fees to £10,000 they would just open up a marker for higher education that only the well-off could access. It would be terrible for equality

Besides, all this is pretty hypothetical anyway. The Tories would never be able to get the Lib Dems to vote for this. The Libs were the ones wanting to scrap Uni fees!

ReputationRep:
    One of my main problems with such a system is that it would make certain professions even more elitist and populated by the rich, as the higher-quality universities would be able to charge £10000 (which the less well-off students would be less able to pay), and their graduates would be those most likely to succeed. This means that certain professions, such as Law and Politics, which should require a good understanding of and impartiality towards all people, would become filled with the children of those rich enough to afford expensive degrees, rather than the ideal of having a meritocracy for such important positions (it's already bad enough with 6 Oxford PPE-ists, mainly funded by rich parents, in the Cabinet)

ReputationRep:
    You cannot possibly know what the ConDems are planning. Historical precedent is now irrelevant.
    Regardless of whether it makes economic sense or not it would be a terrible political move.

ReputationRep:
    This wouldn't happen under Labour's watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    The actual creation of tuition fees didn't happen under the Tories' watch. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teveth)
    And just who was it that introduced tuition fees?
    Who was it that pushed our universities to the edge by trying to get 50% of school leavers in without giving them more funding?

ReputationRep:
    Would only be fair if they implemented it slowly - i.e gave parents time to set up 'college funds ' for their children. Probably just screw over households above the magical 31 k bracket though.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.