Turn on thread page Beta

University fees 'could triple to £10,000' watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Yes, the poor levels of funding for UK universities
    The existing poor funding is necessarily because UK universities can never make significant contribution to research, and no other reason. Prove this statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by future_hopeful_uk)
    Also, the Cambridge architecture course is likely to be academic because its at Cambridge, they put theory into everything. Hence it isnt like most architecture courses.
    As uninformed as that sounds, you're still not proving your point.

You said that Architecture isn't academic enough to be a degree. You then say that Cambridge Architecture is the only one that's fine because of tons of theory (I'd love to see some evidence of how it's the only theory based one, though). So surely (if we follow your assumption), you should want non-Cambridge Architecture degrees to be more theory based, not to get rid of the degree?

ReputationRep:
    For me personally (just started my first year at uni) i would not be able to continue going to university if fees rocketed as much as people are saying. I'm currently studying a sport sociology BA(Hons) degree which is likely not going to get me a specific job. In my mind having a lower paid job with career prospects and a little debt is far preferable to having a slightly higer paid job with career prospects but with £40k or more of debt.

People here keep saying that students will leave with £30k debt but this is just tuition fees, not maintenance or commercial loans that students need to take out.
    If i were to continue at uni and fees were £10k i would graduate with £45k debt at least and face an unstable job market at a wage of around £24 k pa with tax and rent and a car and food atc to pay for. the £45k on its own would take 3 years to pay off if i recieved £24k after bills and tax. It just isnt viable for me.

As for the "mickey mouse" degrees. I agree that some courses need to be axed/incorporated with other degrees but my issue is that where do we stop, which courses are acceptable or not. Was it not that Camerons agenda is called the Big Society, sorry for pointing this out David but society cannot exist outside of a culture. Culture is made up of the arts, history, language etc how can you justify axing an investment in society when it's your main aim in parliament.

I wait on tenterhooks to see the paper tomorrow, i will do my best to sleep tonight but i don't bank on it.......

Savage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savage91)
    For me personally (just started my first year at uni) i would not be able to continue going to university if fees rocketed as much as people are saying.

If i were to continue at uni and fees were £10k i would graduate with £45k debt at least and face an unstable job market at a wage of around £24 k pa with tax and rent and a car and food atc to pay for. the £45k on its own would take 3 years to pay off if i recieved £24k after bills and tax. It just isnt viable for me.
    Why could you not carry on going? Since you never have to pay the student loan off what is the problem?

What are you planning on doing that earns you £35k (+ whatever you think bills will cost)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Why could you not carry on going? Since you never have to pay the student loan off what is the problem?

What are you planning on doing that earns you £35k (+ whatever you think bills will cost)?
    But i always would always be paying off the student loan. That is not something i want hanging over my head, especially if the interest rates went up too.
    I really want to make something of my life, i am hoping to someday earn that kind of wage; where ever that may be.

The sheer scale of the debt scares me and it's not like getting a degree will give me a vocation or make me any different from the rest of the graduates. If i can get ahead while everyone else is studying so be it. Getting a degree would be fantastic but it isn't the be all and end all; for me at least.

Let's just see what the report says, it could be that i'm stressng over 'nothing' but i want to be sure of what i'm doing and where im going before i commit to that amount of debt.

Your views were welcome and i hope i've answered your questios properly. Let me know if i haven't.

Savage

ReputationRep:
    My course has been severely affected by funding cuts this year and onwards, We've lost 4 brilliant studio tutors and a fantastic VMC tutor for theory, which isn't good in my third and most important year of studying. We've also lost bursary funds for the year, which would normally pay for important equipment, and less teaching time, currently it is around 20 minutes per student per week. But I am confident I can still achieve the same as anyone else in any previous years have done.

Another thing is that my University spent around 60 million or more on building a new part of the university, which is ultra modern and slick, but they never got to finish some parts of it off as they ran out of money, They also spent a whopping £60,000 on concrete benches from a local artist that look like samples of the motorway. The new building also sticks out like a saw thumb in the town and I think it's frankly a waste of money. Because of the ultra modern building, my University has attracted students who would otherwise perhaps not go to university or go to worse universities, and I believe the standard has gone down severely since. It's attracted more students fair enough, but the standard has decreased. My course is still very good though, but if they put the fees up to £7,000 when I started at University, Maybe I wouldn't have gone to this one.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.