Turn on thread page Beta

University fees 'could triple to £10,000' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    Student tuition fees could triple to £10,000 under Government plans to slash direct state funding for universities, it emerged today.

Ministers are said to be considering savage cuts to university teaching grants of up to two-thirds, with funding for arts and humanities degrees being removed altogether.

Under plans expected to be set out next month, universities could be given more power to levy higher fees to make up the shortfall.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-to-10000.html
    I bet students will go mad at this :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Take an axe to mickey mouse degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by invictus_veritas)
    It should happen or foreign students should be banned: it's really unfair that the best British students can't compete fairly for places with foreign students. This allows for that to happen so is a much fairer system. If your degree isn't worth the cost of you doing it then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.

How will that improve the financial situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom_X)
    sorry, but i do find your views on the future of universities quite laughable.
    My view is simply this:

- Universities tuition fees should be raised to cover the cost of the degree (£10,000 or so)
    - Government should provide tuition loans to cover the full cost of the tuition fee with interest to be charged at the level of inflation.
    - Mickey mouse courses should be purged

I fail to see the problem there?

So how do you feel about higher fees now ?
    Shocking fact for you: I don't agree with the Tory party elite on everything... shocking I know. I actually disagree - most of my recent threads have been attacking them.

I support higher fees assuming there is support for students to cover it; i.e. tuition loan as outlined above.

(Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    agreed.

If we're going to do this, then lets at least do it properly.

However if private institutions want to offer them on a purely privately funded basis then I see no problem in doing so.
    Totally agree. If I am not mistaken, we only one have private University in the country?

ReputationRep:
    sorry, but i do find your views on the future of universities quite laughable.

ok, i agree that mickey mouse courses should be cut. that is a general consensus among most serious students.

Now, you also agree with rising fees. great. However, say they shot up to 10,000 a year, then your politics degree- just for tuition, would cost just shy of about 30,000. This is taking away living costs.

'Thats fine, as long as i get a loan to match it'. Well HERE is the biggest problem. Mr. Willetts has already said there is no point doing that as it requires higher borrowing per annum, something this government dosent want. They ruled out the graduate tax too, meaning that the student loans system has to reform.

Imo, the only way where borrowing can be reduced but students still look at university favourably is either if arts courses are cut to two years (a joke as in most countries a BA is 4 years) or if a student has to pay upfront fees. The latter ostracises poorer students who would have otherwise had a chance to go to university. In fact, it dosent even harm the poor kids as much as it harms the lower echelons of the middle class. what youd find is that for your politics degree, you would have to take out a commercial loan with interest, and hope you get a high flying job afterward.

So how do you feel about higher fees now ?
    There is absolutely no way point of entry fees will be introduced.

Absolutely no way. Not even the conservatives would want that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obbsidian)
    Looks like we all agree on cutting certain subjects, but it would be interesting to hear the opinions of some people who actually study these subjects.

Do they really do it just so they can party and put off real life for 3 years?

Do they think that it will help their career?

Do they do it just because they like the course?

Finally, this country is desperately in need of people with a background in a serious discipline to shore up the economy and compete in the high tech industries where we still can. Engineering, maths, compsci etc.. should definitely be protected.
    I agree here. In fact, I think subjects like media studies need to be taught in a way where its true value can be delivered. media studies could be a very relevant subject in an age where the media is probably the most powerful entity in the world in terms of its relationship with the people and the government. 3 of my friends do media studies, and while one only went in for the sake of going to uni, the other two were genuinely interested in the media and how it worked.

This country is in need of a full educational reformation. Firstly, our school leavers are piss poor, with only 3 or 4 alevels or 10 mediocre GCSES all which are meaningless in an internationally based market. a switch to the International baccalaureate not only would make students more well rounded in terms of their capabilities, but would also equip them with the thinking and a language skill necessary to compete with other students in the east.

I agree that sciences and education should be invested into more, but arts are also important in retaining the cultural values and heritage of any society. its not as if every chinese uni student is a scientist or matematician, in fact there are plenty of arts students there too. its just that technology is such a big industry there that its known for its science programmes- wheras here, our idustrial base is dead and we rely on services more than anything else. My friend in japan goes to a standard university where she studies a mixture of science and arts, which is also a good idea.

ultimately, to improve the standard of students, we need to adopt a rigorous system that meets the international standard- switching to the IB programme would be a good start.

ReputationRep:
    My view is simply this:

Totally agree. If I am not mistaken, we only one have private University in the country?
    BPP's just become a university

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I live in a council house with a single mum and I wouldnt mind if they raise the tuition fees as long as they provide me with the loans to cover it. If it came to be that I couldnt go to uni because of it, then GGGGGRRRRR.

I mean whats the difference between £20,000 or £30,000 debt anyway? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelmxxx)
    There is absolutely no way point of entry fees will be introduced.

Absolutely no way. Not even the conservatives would want that.
    hahaah you're kidding, surely ?

This is something i would expect from the tories. Free marketism at its finest. The idea that you have to pay to get that education, and in this case, to get a good one a hell of a lot more.

On top of this, you have to prove you can pay for it, ie. the upfront fee. Now of course, it would be less expensive at essex than it would at say nottingham or LSE, but that would create a system whereby if you are at the low end of the middle class spectrum, you could only afford universities deemed as 'mediocre' unless you got a scholarship.

One thing is for sure- the government subsidised university funding system is over- its too much to borrow and something that students such as teaddict shouldn't be relying on to exist in the future. in a time of austerity, who would want to borrow another £7,000 per student ?

ReputationRep:
    ohhh nice. looks like i will be trapped in this catering job for the rest of my life. its good that they dont realise not many people can pay much for tuition. otherwise people like myself might be in danger of making something of our lives.

seriously though, i dont think it will happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by invictus_veritas)
    It should happen or foreign students should be banned: it's really unfair that the best British students can't compete fairly for places with foreign students. This allows for that to happen so is a much fairer system. If your degree isn't worth the cost of you doing it then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
    Idiot...international students shouldn't be banned, they are the main source of income for most Universities...

ReputationRep:
    wow..
    might go study in france then

Pretty relevant to this topic I suppose, David Blancflower put forward the case for higher tuition fees in the New Statesman a few months ago.

http://www.newstatesman.com/economy/...ties-dartmouth

Thoughts on what he is saying anyone on here not vibing raising fees?

ReputationRep:
    hahaah you're kidding, surely ?

This is something i would expect from the tories. Free marketism at its finest. The idea that you have to pay to get that education, and in this case, to get a good one a hell of a lot more.

On top of this, you have to prove you can pay for it, ie. the upfront fee. Now of course, it would be less expensive at essex than it would at say nottingham or LSE, but that would create a system whereby if you are at the low end of the middle class spectrum, you could only afford universities deemed as 'mediocre' unless you got a scholarship.

One thing is for sure- the government subsidised university funding system is over- its too much to borrow and something that students such as teaddict shouldn't be relying on to exist in the future. in a time of austerity, who would want to borrow another £7,000 per student ?
    Free market doesn't mean paying at the start!

Yes they would support raising the fee cap to create a market, but only with student loans! Taking away loans would just be idiotic...and tbh hilariously embarrassing for anyone who suggested it.

You have to be very very rich - and we're not talking middle class household income of £60k here, I mean mansion, three skiing holidays a year and well into the 50% tax band rich - to be able to pay £10k fees upfront, especially for 2 children (or more!) at once.

Plus that would make parents pay for their child's uni education - whereas now it's about the student paying it back when they can.

The £10k would only be if unis covered the cost of students possibly not paying back the full loan, so maybe they'd be covering that last £3,000?

ReputationRep:
    hmm....

this is something I don't think will happen...but

KILL THE MICKEY MOUSE DEGREES....KILL THEM WITH FIRE!!!

make university degrees something that is valuable once more....perhaps making all subject courses a certain standard would help....and unis could build ontop of that...but not below it

ReputationRep:
    I sincerely doubt it will actually happen to be honest. If it does it will start a never ending circle in politics. x party will up tuition fees, their popularity will drop and y will get in then reduce them again, people will complain and the whole circle will start again, bet ya.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adam_zed)
    ohhh nice. looks like i will be trapped in this catering job for the rest of my life. its good that they dont realise not many people can pay much for tuition. otherwise people like myself might be in danger of making something of our lives.

seriously though, i dont think it will happen.
    You don't have to pay now!!

That's why there are student loans and grants...........you only start repaying them once you're earning £15k.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    My view is simply this:

- Universities tuition fees should be raised to cover the cost of the degree (£10,000 or so)
    - Government should provide tuition loans to cover the full cost of the tuition fee with interest to be charged at the level of inflation.
    - Mickey mouse courses should be purged

I fail to see the problem there?

Shocking fact for you: I don't agree with the Tory party elite on everything... shocking I know. I actually disagree - most of my recent threads have been attacking them.

I support higher fees assuming there is support for students to cover it; i.e. tuition loan as outlined above.

well before we get down to business teaddict, I rather enjoy imagining you as david cameron

Your in line with me in terms of university funding mainly. Fees should rise to cover the costs, after all, we are both choosing to go into education with the idea of getting good jobs, and that cant be supplied by the government. However, what you are continunally failing to understand is that the government isnt going to borrow an extra £7,000 per student to cover their tuition costs with the price increase. Somewhere along the line, the students will have to make the shortfall, and tbh, not everyone has an exta £7,000 per year (ie.21,000) hiding under their beds to pay for their childs education- in particular poor and middle class families.

Thus it comes to several options for students and universities. The student either borrows off a family member assuming they can. Or they borrow from a commercial bank, with added interest that accumlates for however long it isnt paid off (including if a student decides to take a PGCE or the GDL) or they dont go to university at all. if the latter occurs, there may be great rejoice on tsr, but what you actually have is more young people on the dole as a result of there not being enough jobs in shops, car garages etc to meet the excess supply of labour. a service economy requires graduates who are educated, not those with a mediocre set of a levels and no real world experience whatsoever. You also then create a workforce founded on mediocrity.

On the issue of upfront fees, this will probably happen. Why would a university want to take on a student who cant necessarily pay them- particularly in a time of austerity ? again, another rich poor divide which is absolutely fantastic.

i dont know what the tories or 'coaition' are playing at, but they are ******* stupid to do so. In fact, this policy alone will wipe out the liberal democrats for an extremely long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crimsonchilli)
    Raising fees is the only way to progress If we want to retain the reputation of our universities. They are already starting to slip in the rankings and will continue to do so until the correct funding is available, and considering there is no chance of that coming from the Govt then raising fees is the only option.

Aslong as they are not US level, then Im all for this. (as long as grants and loans are still available that is, and only if it puts an end to the notion of the graduate tax)
    did you check the rankings recently?

ReputationRep:
    Well I told you not to vote Tory. :proud:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.