Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by invictus_veritas)
    It should happen or foreign students should be banned: it's really unfair that the best British students can't compete fairly for places with foreign students. This allows for that to happen so is a much fairer system. If your degree isn't worth the cost of you doing it then you shouldn't be doing it in the first place.
    Fine for you if you have the money to become competitive with foreign students. What about those brits who don't have 10k a year? A little bit less fair on them-even if they keep up student loans fewer lower class children will go to uni-they'll be scared off by the figures.

30k of debt (before maintenance) sounds like a lot if you come from a middle class background, think what it sounds like to children coming from parents with a 20k combined pre-tax annual income!

So do I think this will increase equality? As usual, only for the rich. Rich mc students will be able to buy themselves in against the poorer British students and the full fee-paying foreign students. Inside Britain, it will decrease equality.

However, will it encourage people to think twice about going to some **** degree? Yes, and that may be good for the economy as a whole. People who were never cut out for grad jobs will be able to start work immediately and become productive rather than wasting public money. Unfortunately they will be joined by many poor bright students who should be at university, as a result of this measure.

So, a good thing? Dunno, but I hope I never have to pay that much whilst I'm here!!! Would I have to if the rules changed? Anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    If they slash funding for Arts and Humanities degrees and hike up tuition fees, it will come back to bite us in the ass.

Where on earth will we get our teachers from? A £40-50 grand debt will almost certainly put History and English graduates from good unis off teaching purely on the basis of salary. We also seem to have a shortage of nurses, for example, as it is.

And anyone that goes on about higher fees being good for putting people off useless degrees can go to hell. It will only put off the lower and lower-middle classes from university in general. If you want to attack mickey mouse degrees; attack mickey mouse degrees. Don't attack the whole of the lower classes just out of the blind hope that you'll hit a few of the ones taking rubbish degrees along the way.

[/end rant]

Though I expect tuition fees to rise somewhat (and I'll happily accept a small/moderate rise), I seriously doubt the Tories and Lib Dems are stupid enough to commit political suicide with £10,000 tuition fees. They know damn well that they'd have a whole generation of students (myself included) calling for blood at the next election.

ReputationRep:
    If they did change the fees, when will they anounce this and when will they take place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delasandro)
    If they did change the fees, when will they anounce this and when will they take place?
    Well, I don't think the tuition fees for 2011 entry have been set yet, if you catch my drift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly Goose)
    Well, I don't think the tuition fees for 2011 entry have been set yet, if you catch my drift.
    Oh ok, so just say they actually let the same fees that were this year be for 2011 entry, but they say from 2012 onwards it will cost say £5000 per year, how much would i be paying?

£3200 odd for first year
    £---- how much for year 2 and 3? (£3200 or £5000?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delasandro)
    Oh ok, so just say they actually let the same fees that were this year be for 2011 entry, but they say from 2012 onwards it will cost say £5000 per year, how much would i be paying?

£3200 odd for first year
    £---- how much for year 2 and 3? (£3200 or £5000?)
    No idea, depends on what the Government decides I would think.

ReputationRep:
    This should only be on new courses at rubbish universities, where people gainno academic knowledge - a vocational course

Plus, the idea of Arts/Humanities' funding being taken away is awful!

Not fair at all! A music degree might not save lives but it means that the person will be a better team player than someone who's just sat in a maths room for 3 years - therefore a better communicator and employee :yep:

grrrrrrrr

we can't all be astrophysicists/engineers! If poorer people can't go to do arts degrees, the whole equality thing is chucked out the window :mad: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    higher fees are a good thing. it'll make people think twice about doing crappy degrees. use the search function and you'll find it has quite a bit of support on here

lowering grants on the other hand is a bad idea, as is scrapping funding for humanities degrees
    Stop funding humanities?

So you want to produce a culturally illiterate generation?

Sciences, whilst important, and I say this as a sciences student, are not so important as to eclipse other fields. You need good humanities graduates just as you need good sciences graduates if the economy is to remain competitive.

Anyway, privatise the **** universities, keep the ones that do research, cannibalise any good research departments of bad universities, problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    This is great news for those who will complete their undergraduates before the cap raise.

It will make all your degrees more valuable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    Thank God I started Uni in 2004!
    you're lucky....i should be lucky too i started this year. If it changes nobody would want to go uni.

ReputationRep:
    I have one word to say.

ReputationRep:
    I've just skimmed the thread so sorry if this has been answered.

If you start your degree when the fees are the way they are now can the fees really change midway through the course ?

Or would it just be something like all students starting degrees from 2012 must pay the different costs ?

Someone please clarify before I withdraw my UCAS application

ReputationRep:
    guys, i bet they won't even go up to £10,000.
    Maybe up to say £4000 max in my opinion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nesselphie)
    This should only be on new courses at rubbish universities, where people gainno academic knowledge - a vocational course
    we can't all be astrophysicists/engineers! If poorer people can't go to do arts degrees, the whole equality thing is chucked out the window :mad: :eek3:
    Hmm I dont think it was your intention but it feels like you are saying that poor people are the ones most likely to do art degrees.

Which to me means you are saying poor people arent as intelligent or hard working.

The failure of your school to educate your basic impressions of life after school should not affect that you should go to a worse university, or I am not trying to say let in the people with worse grades but if someone learns after leaving school how important uni is and wants to do a good degree but cannot go back to school, then going to a bad university means they at least build up their skills and intelligence somewhat.

And being a mature student I see quite a lot of 18 year old school leavers who boast about their A level grades and think they are elite because of that despite many people being more intelligent than them even the ones with less proof i.e grades.

I dont think cramming a lot of information in at A level means people are that intelligence, it just shows some level of brightness, I literally sat down in front of revision guides for my exams and got straight 1's but that doesnt mean I am far more intelligent than X person who got lower grades, heck I am 27 and havent made the effort to complete a course before now despite being a hard worker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt2k8)
    Scrap degrees like "Abuse studies", "event management", "travel and tourism" etc and all funding problems will be solved.
    this. i would go further and argue universities ranked below 6o should stop receiving funding. UEL, TVU, LSBU etc... can rot.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is very unlikely to happen, while they may rise fees it will probably "only" go as far as £5k, £10k is just far too much and so many students will be put off university, when would they even think about bringing this £10k tuition fee into place? 2/3 years or sooner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Hmm I dont think it was your intention but it feels like you are saying that poor people are the ones most likely to do art degrees.

Which to me means you are saying poor people arent as intelligent or hard working.

The failure of your school to educate your basic impressions of life after school should not affect that you should go to a worse university, or I am not trying to say let in the people with worse grades but if someone learns after leaving school how important uni is and wants to do a good degree but cannot go back to school, then going to a bad university means they at least build up their skills and intelligence somewhat.

And being a mature student I see quite a lot of 18 year old school leavers who boast about their A level grades and think they are elite because of that despite many people being more intelligent than them even the ones with less proof i.e grades.

I dont think cramming a lot of information in at A level means people are that intelligence, it just shows some level of brightness, I literally sat down in front of revision guides for my exams and got straight 1's but that doesnt mean I am far more intelligent than X person who got lower grades, heck I am 27 and havent made the effort to complete a course before now despite being a hard worker.
    No, what he meant was poorer people will see less "value" in an arts degree as opposed to a science degree, because science degrees generally have a higher graduate employment rate so if they cant afford it then they will be reluctant to do a degree which they may consider wont benefit them

ReputationRep:
    Oh ****.
    I'm having to have a gap year to save up for uni as it is. I've no idea how I'll be able to afford it.
    Do any of you guys have an idea as to when this is likely to come about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arenas123)
    I've just skimmed the thread so sorry if this has been answered.

If you start your degree when the fees are the way they are now can the fees really change midway through the course ?

Or would it just be something like all students starting degrees from 2012 must pay the different costs ?

Someone please clarify before I withdraw my UCAS application
    That is what happened up until now but it isn't enshrined in law. The ConDems could do anything. You'll find out what Browne recommends in 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachesishere)
    Oh ****.
    I'm having to have a gap year to save up for uni as it is. I've no idea how I'll be able to afford it.
    Do any of you guys have an idea as to when this is likely to come about?
    Willets has already said in 2012 at the latest.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.