Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best music genre, in your opininon? Watch

• View Poll Results: Your prefered music genre?
    Rock/Punk etc
    24.21%
    Indie/Indie rock etc
    15.79%
    Pop
    4.21%
    R&B
    8.42%
    Hip Hop
    5.26%
    Rap
    3.16%
    Country
    1.05%
    House
    4.21%
    Other (Specify)
    33.68%

ReputationRep:
    I know that you can like a bit of everything obviously, but which would you say is the most preferred genre of music, for you personally?

For me it's Indie.

Yes I'm aware I left some out, stupidly, but I had mind block & left important ones like Classical, Jazz, Metal.. But that's what other is their for.

ReputationRep:
    Jazz

ReputationRep:
    House, it's what clubs are for.

ReputationRep:
    David Bowie. Went through them all.

ReputationRep:
    Metal, and then dubstep/DnB/UKHH when i get bored of it

ReputationRep:
    DnB, Dubstep, House and Trance.

ReputationRep:
    Metal and classical don't get mentions whilst Country does and Rap and Hip Hop get separate categories?

Poll FAIL.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna say alternative and metal, because a lot of mainstream stuff is overrated =D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Metal and classical don't get mentions whilst Country does and Rap and Hip Hop get separate categories?

Poll FAIL.

I had a mind block dude, I was thinking too much into it & thought of country for some reason, it's silly really because I listen to bothe Classical & Metal

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe you left out Classical on the list... :mad:

It's like the foundation for most Music today

ReputationRep:
    Without a doubt it has to be Reggae, Dub, Rocksteady & Ska (counted for the sake of convenience as one genre). But otherwise, it's good to keep an open mind, n'est pas? After all, there are always standout artists and acts in every genre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage <3)
    I know that you can like a bit of everything obviously, but which would you say is the most preferred genre of music, for you personally?

For me it's Indie.
    Define the difference between 'indie' (when its most famous bands aren't on labels independent from the big companies like Warners, Sony, Parlophone (being part of EMI)) and 'rock'. They've all blended together. It's not Phil Collins against The Smiths anymore. Nowadays people would try to package Phil Collins as 'indie' - and people would believe it was true!

I'd rather call some 'indie' bands 'not good enough rock bands'. Many aren't doing anything unusual - they're trying to be a combination of pop stars and shoegazers, unlike The Smiths or Radiohead or the likes of The Doors many moons ago.

ReputationRep:
    Singer/Songwriter Folk. It's the purest form of music IMO (all relies on the artistry of the individual with only a single instrument and no one else to back them up), and very difficult to be good at since it's so easy to sound like everything else. It really separates the men from the boys. Plus I like the poetic/expressive side of folk which is often lost in other genres.

I love lots of different genres, but I respect great folk artists the most from an artistic point of view. They're the true masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dededex)
    Can't believe you left out Classical on the list... :mad:

It's like the foundation for most Music today

I can't believe it too Bad times.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have several genres I love nearly equally...
    Pretty much whatever genre I listen to becomes my favourite genre at that time.
    So now it's some sort of progressive/classic rock fusion, but in a few minutes it might be black metal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage <3)
    I can't believe it too Bad times.
    Hehe, dw dude; only a minor error - it's probably me being me and loving Classical :o:

ReputationRep:
    Shame you left some important ones out

Darkstep does it for me

ReputationRep:
    weres soul?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dededex)
    Hehe, dw dude; only a minor error - it's probably me being me and loving Classical :o:

Yeah but it makes it sillly because I love classical too haha stupid mind block

ReputationRep:
    Classical..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.