Turn on thread page Beta

"Muslim-only loos" story was all porkies watch

ReputationRep:
    the thing that pisses me off is that the papers can print this stuff and get away with it becaue they wont get punished badly and hardly anyone will read the apology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tykes)
    In the Daily Star.
    This is just an example.

Generally the media coverage is unnaturally large.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tykes)
    No, a black person who hates KKK is not the same as a KKK member who hates black people. Similarly, a gay person who hates Muslims is not the same as a Muslim who hates gay people.

In both cases, the black person and gay person's hatred is a reaction to the hatred of the KKK and Muslims. If the KKK weren't racist, and if Muslims weren' homophobic, then black people and gay people wouldn't have a problem with the KKK and Muslims.
    I disagree.

ReputationRep:
    An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tykes)
    Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying.

Also, please don't use the term 'Islamophobia'. It doesn't make sense. Why is being anti-Muslim a phobia? I mean, what is it next - Communismphobia? Capitalismphobia?
    well alrighty let me spell it out for you
    you're now saying that muslims aren't allowed to criticise people for criticising their religion, because this would apparently make them hypocritical
    i have two major issues with this
    1) who says all muslims, or all people from a certain islamic country are xenophobic and homophobic?
    2) are you now saying that it's only ok for non-muslims to criticise the criticism of islam, and not for muslims, i.e. the people it directly affects, to do so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tykes)
    No, a black person who hates KKK is not the same as a KKK member who hates black people. Similarly, a gay person who hates Muslims is not the same as a Muslim who hates gay people.

In both cases, the black person and gay person's hatred is a reaction to the hatred of the KKK and Muslims. If the KKK weren't racist, and if Muslims weren' homophobic, then black people and gay people wouldn't have a problem with the KKK and Muslims.
    huge generalisation and sickeningly anti-islamic

and in response to your jibe about the term "islamophobia" - is irrational hatred and fear of a certain religion not a phobia? irrational fear and hatred is certainly what newspapers like the daily star are spreading.

as for "communismphobia" - most people in this day and age dislike certain political philosophies for a good reason.
    if you're referring to the red scare in the 1950's, i don't see why that can't be referred to as communismphobia, if im being perfectly honest. that's exactly what it was - irrational fear and hatred amongst the masses because of some influential fearmongers

ReputationRep:
    Not true, the field near me has some

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planetearth)
    Nowadays anything with 'Muslim' in it creates a great media fuss, sparking many debates and controversies.

Even 'Muslim only toilets' get national coverage.

Am I alone in thinking there is something wrong here?
    well yeah you're right, but tbh if "muslim-only toilets" had actually been true, it would have been a pretty big deal - it's basically apartheid, but by a minority group - so many things wrong with that picture o.O

anyhoo, since when is the daily star national coverage? please don't tell me anyone actually believes anything in the tabloids :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tykes)
    LOL @ the people who belong to a xenophobic and homophobic religion criticising people for stirring hatred against them.
    I am muslim, I am neither a xenophobe nor a homophobe

And it seems you have misconceptions about Islam

http://www.misconceptions-about-islam.com/

ReputationRep:
    well, the two minutes of hatred advocated by the right wing press have to happen at some point. I love to hear the idiots in my local area complaining about the muslims/communists/bbc etc every morning when i get my newspaper- it just proves how dumbed down the media have made these people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    huge generalisation and sickeningly anti-islamic
    A bit of a generalisation, yes, though I don't see why it is 'sickeningly anti-Islamic'.

(Original post by theths)
    as for "communismphobia" - most people in this day and age dislike certain political philosophies for a good reason.
    Arren't there good reasons to be opposed to a religion (or at least the mainstream or other interpretations of a religion)?

ReputationRep:
    they are not even related to islam any way!!!
    why bring relgion into custom of the south asians
    it has nothing to do with relgion!

ReputationRep:
    Why do papers like the Daily Star still continue to exist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tykes)
    A bit of a generalisation, yes, though I don't see why it is 'sickeningly anti-Islamic'.

Arren't there good reasons to be opposed to a religion (or at least the mainstream or other interpretations of a religion)?
    anti-islamic just because it shamelessly took the other side and completely failed to see how muslims could possibly be victims in that scenario

possibly, and there are certainly reasons to be fearful of people who do things based on their extreme interpretation of islam, e.g. terrorists, but a lot of what appears in the press, just like in the example in this thread, is really just baseless fearmongering with little regard for what effect it's going to have on the attitudes of the people reading it towards islam
    i'm all for informed decisions, as long as that's what they are
    also i think it should be pointed out that extremism is in no way the mainstream interpretation of islam (not sure that's what you were implying but just putting it out there)

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't disguise from the fact that squat toilets in general are horrendous. Nothing to do with Muslims, as you get them in France, China and many other places, but they are bloody atrocious and it's a shame someone has thought they'd go down well in the UK...

ReputationRep:
    what is KKK?????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EssexDan86)
    Doesn't disguise from the fact that squat toilets in general are horrendous. Nothing to do with Muslims, as you get them in France, China and many other places, but they are bloody atrocious and it's a shame someone has thought they'd go down well in the UK...

Well yes it is kind of horrendous, but to the people who've been brought up in places where the squat loos are normal they don't find it horrendous.

When I went to Palestine, my grandma's family who love in a village had squat loos & as you could imagine I was like ''What the eck?'' so we got a ''normal'' loo fitted & they didn't like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vintage <3)
    Well yes it is kind of horrendous, but to the people who've been brought up in places where the squat loos are normal they don't find it horrendous.

When I went to Palestine, my grandma's family who love in a village had squat loos & as you could imagine I was like ''What the eck?'' so we got a ''normal'' loo fitted & they didn't like it.
    True, it's what you're used to I guess. I spent 3 weeks in China and most toilets (apart from those in hotels and shopping malls) were squat loos... I had some pretty grim moments trying to get used to them

Funny thing was a Chinese girl I was talking to about them thought they were the civilised way to go to the toilet and said Chinese call western loos 'disabled' toilets, so I guess it's just a matter of perspective!

ReputationRep:
    True, it's what you're used to I guess. I spent 3 weeks in China and most toilets (apart from those in hotels and shopping malls) were squat loos... I had some pretty grim moments trying to get used to them

Funny thing was a Chinese girl I was talking to about them thought they were the civilised way to go to the toilet and said Chinese call western loos 'disabled' toilets, so I guess it's just a matter of perspective!

LOL, exactly there you go

ReputationRep:
    They have gone down well in Manchester airport for a while

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.