Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the middle of my UCAS application at the moment trying to get on to a good film studies course. Obviously this a subject where having a good reference is important because not many people take an A-Level in Film Studies.

Basically my teacher told everyone that he would write good references and that the school would support everyone's uni application. The other day he gave me my reference back even though it's supposed to be confidential and I'll quote it: "In lessons he contributes nothing," "Shows little interest," "Lively with friends but gives little to teachers," "He will pass. I hope on target but unlikely." He said these things despite the fact I was one of only two people who got an A in my class for AS level. The universities will take one look at this and throw my application in the bin so I don't know what to do. I'm particularly angry because he has done the opposite of what he said he would do which was support me. He didn't even bother to ask what course I am applying for.

He is one of those complete tossers who has become too fond of the sound of his own voice whilst being a teacher and thinks he needs to lecture everyone about life. He also likes to tell lots of 'hilarious' jokes and flirt with all the girls which I think is pretty disgusting. I'll admit I have been in trouble with him a few times in sixth form but I always try in lessons and I'm never rude or late unlike most of the others in my class who seem to get away with it. I passed his exam with flying colours! I don't know what more he wants from me? He also messed up one of my mates applications last year by being lazy and then handing the reference in too late, the deadline had already passed. I really don't want to miss out on a great oppurtunity because of this prick.

Thanks for reading. Anyone know what I can do about this situation?

ReputationRep:
    Just ask your form tutor for a reference or a more senior member of staff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rememberme)
    good film studies course.
    Lol, oxymoron alert.

But seriously, all you can do is talk to someone more senior. The school wants people to go to good unis, it reflects well on them. If you talk to head of sixth form or head of department or whatever, they will have to choose between undermining the teacher and asking him to change the reference or sacrificing you to stand by the teacher. Could go either way tbh, but nothing to lose.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    From what I heard most refrences have to be positive they are not allowed to be negative so pretty much fill in the blanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    From what I heard most refrences have to be positive they are not allowed to be negative so pretty much fill in the blanks.
    Hmmm, I agree with you on this point.
    I write many references, and am distinctly under the impression that negative comments are really not the form.
    It would appear that said teacher is not aware of how the system works. It would be rather useful if teacher read the UCAS guidelines. Doesn't help with OP's issue per se, would advise OP to himself read UCAS guidelines for tutors, and then if contradiction exists with what aforementioned teacher has said seek clarification from higher up the internal chain.

ReputationRep:
    complain to the headteacher...seriously and show them the reference and ask them to recommend someone else to you that could write it...a teachers not actually allowed to right such things even if you were terrible! This is your future, it doesn't matter what course it is, its what you want to do so don't let this douchebag teacher ruin it for you! Lol I really hate teachers like that...they annoy my life! arghh! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    LOL !
    Don't worry, courses like that take virtually everyone who applies.
    And when did you apply for five film studies courses, and get accepted to all five?

(Original post by Honeyx)
    a teachers not actually allowed to right such things even if you were terrible!
    Of course they are ... as long as it's justified and correct, which it doesn't seem to be in this case.

I agree with everyone else - get a different referee.

ReputationRep:
    Your teacher is leaving himself open to some very, real-world legal action. Seriously - most teachers are now told, if you haven't got anything nice to say in a reference, say nothing at all, and leave it blank. Anything they do say must either be good, or legally proveable in court (so if you'd been suspended, had poor attendance etc, this presumably would be proveable.).

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the middle of my UCAS application at the moment trying to get on to a good film studies course. Obviously this a subject where having a good reference is important because not many people take an A-Level in Film Studies.

Basically my teacher told everyone that he would write good references and that the school would support everyone's uni application. The other day he gave me my reference back even though it's supposed to be confidential and I'll quote it: "In lessons he contributes nothing," "Shows little interest," "Lively with friends but gives little to teachers," "He will pass. I hope on target but unlikely." He said these things despite the fact I was one of only two people who got an A in my class for AS level. The universities will take one look at this and throw my application in the bin so I don't know what to do. I'm particularly angry because he has done the opposite of what he said he would do which was support me. He didn't even bother to ask what course I am applying for.

He is one of those complete tossers who has become too fond of the sound of his own voice whilst being a teacher and thinks he needs to lecture everyone about life. He also likes to tell lots of 'hilarious' jokes and flirt with all the girls which I think is pretty disgusting. I'll admit I have been in trouble with him a few times in sixth form but I always try in lessons and I'm never rude or late unlike most of the others in my class who seem to get away with it. I passed his exam with flying colours! I don't know what more he wants from me? He also messed up one of my mates applications last year by being lazy and then handing the reference in too late, the deadline had already passed. I really don't want to miss out on a great oppurtunity because of this prick.

Sounds to me that he is having a joke at your expense and he has shown you a spoof reference! Particularly if he has a reputation for bad jokes.
    Get it checked out though. Good luck

ReputationRep:

The only thing you can do here is discuss this immediately with your Head of Year. There is guidance for referees which your teacher appears to have overlooked, and if he really hasn't asked which course you are applying for he is way out of order. Are you sure that this was the reference that was actually going to be uploaded on to your application, or just his contribution to a reference that your Head of Year was going to collate? In that case, I rather doubt that much of what this teacher has written will get in to the final version in any case, but you do need to have that conversation with the Head of Year to be sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Got the tshirt)
    Sounds to me that he is having a joke at your expense and he has shown you a spoof reference! Particularly if he has a reputation for bad jokes.
    Get it checked out though. Good luck
    This. He's probably just playing a joke, he can't show you the reference, so chances are it's a fake one.

ReputationRep:
    Sue her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehhh.....hi.)
    This. He's probably just playing a joke, he can't show you the reference, so chances are it's a fake one.
    He can, if school policy allows him to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mehhh.....hi.)
    I've seen my reference as our deputy head reads it to you to make sure it is accurate. All our subject teachers contribute to it and then the form teacher pulls it together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    He can, if school policy allows him to.
    Oh, I didn't think you were allowed, well that's good I hope I can see mine

ReputationRep:
    Don't try to argue with him - that'll just make him smug and lets him revel in his power (or his really bad sense of humour, whichever applies). Ignore him and go directly to a more senior person or a teacher who likes you and ask them for a reference. If necessary, show them his..

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem but with an economics teacher, but i sat in her office for 20 minutes while she somehow proved that i was in fact a crap student with no motivation to do well..despite getting 93% in the AS Economics.

ReputationRep:
    You can request to see the real reference under the data protection act!

ReputationRep:
    I'd directly ask the teacher if it was a joke cos if you completely go over their head without discussing it with them they may hate you for it for eternity. I would ask if this is what they seriously thought and if they say yes I would THEN go to the head of year and explain the situation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure that under employment law you'd be able to take a former boss to court for writing such a reference, so I don't see why it should be any different for a teacher.

As far as I understand, if they have nothing good to say about you, they can only write something along the lines of:
    'XXXX studied at our school between the years 200X-20XX'

They aren't allowed to be actively negative. By refusing to write anything other than a statement confirming your attendance, then the fact that they said nothing complimentary about you infers there was nothing to say.

If I were you, I'd take it up the chain of command, to a senior member of staff - what this teacher has done is bang out of order, and is not good practice for a representative of your school.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.