Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous - everyone knows that the only acceptable way to write a bad reference is to say almost nothing. Take his reference with you and request to discuss it as soon as possible with the head of your year. The school would be crazy to allow this reference to be submitted, as unless everything he said in your reference is both true and proveable, it would leave the school completely vulnerable to litigation, and be acutely embarrassing for them as well. Even if it's a joke, he should get a kick up the backside from the head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rememberme)
    I'm in the middle of my UCAS application at the moment trying to get on to a good film studies course. Obviously this a subject where having a good reference is important because not many people take an A-Level in Film Studies.

Basically my teacher told everyone that he would write good references and that the school would support everyone's uni application. The other day he gave me my reference back even though it's supposed to be confidential and I'll quote it: "In lessons he contributes nothing," "Shows little interest," "Lively with friends but gives little to teachers," "He will pass. I hope on target but unlikely." He said these things despite the fact I was one of only two people who got an A in my class for AS level. The universities will take one look at this and throw my application in the bin so I don't know what to do. I'm particularly angry because he has done the opposite of what he said he would do which was support me. He didn't even bother to ask what course I am applying for.

He is one of those complete tossers who has become too fond of the sound of his own voice whilst being a teacher and thinks he needs to lecture everyone about life. He also likes to tell lots of 'hilarious' jokes and flirt with all the girls which I think is pretty disgusting. I'll admit I have been in trouble with him a few times in sixth form but I always try in lessons and I'm never rude or late unlike most of the others in my class who seem to get away with it. I passed his exam with flying colours! I don't know what more he wants from me? He also messed up one of my mates applications last year by being lazy and then handing the reference in too late, the deadline had already passed. I really don't want to miss out on a great oppurtunity because of this prick.

Thanks for reading. Anyone know what I can do about this situation?
    From that post I think his reference sounds spot on.

Unless you can challenge him on FACT there is nothing you can do. Referees have a legal duty to tell the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbo139)
    This is ridiculous - everyone knows that the only acceptable way to write a bad reference is to say almost nothing. Take his reference with you and request to discuss it as soon as possible with the head of your year. The school would be crazy to allow this reference to be submitted, as unless everything he said in your reference is both true and proveable, it would leave the school completely vulnerable to litigation, and be acutely embarrassing for them as well. Even if it's a joke, he should get a kick up the backside from the head.
    Utter twaddle. If it is true - good for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    From what I heard most refrences have to be positive they are not allowed to be negative so pretty much fill in the blanks.
    another ignorantly wrong supposition!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magma828)
    You can request to see the real reference under the data protection act!
    EPIC FAIL!

You cannot access the reference via the school. The Data Protection Act allows you to access it through UCAS. Bit late then though!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    another ignorantly wrong supposition!
    Nope going by what my tutor and about 5 teachers told me in college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Nope going by what my tutor and about 5 teachers told me in college.
    They are wrong.
    A referee has a duty of care to tell the truth. As long as they can substantiate what they say they can write anything. So poor attender, disciplinary problems is perfectly ok. It gets difficult when subjective areas come into it like attitude.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They are wrong.
    A referee has a duty of care to tell the truth. As long as they can substantiate what they say they can write anything. So poor attender, disciplinary problems is perfectly ok. It gets difficult when subjective areas come into it like attitude.
    No they cannot your not allowed to put negative things in refrences. And its not the referee that writes the refrence.

Its up to the uni to read between the lines of what has been said but it is not allowed to be negative. Not sure where you get your facts about it being a legal duty and judging by your rep your a troll so stfu and gtfo:cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rememberme)
    Thanks for reading. Anyone know what I can do about this situation?
    You're allowed to pick who writes your reference, I'd take a copy to your head of year and ask them if they could write one for you. They shouldn't refuse, unless they send you to someone else who could write it better.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    References can be negative as long as it is true. This means it's usually limited to things that can be proven and are not subjective - eg they can say someone is always late as they have registers for this. Saying someone has no motivation is harder to prove.

Some schools allow students to see the reference before it is submitted, but you can't demand this. You can request it from UCAS after it has been sent by paying £10.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds illegal to me

ReputationRep:
    EPIC FAIL!

You cannot access the reference via the school. The Data Protection Act allows you to access it through UCAS. Bit late then though!
    Why would it make any difference if UCAS or the school hold the data? Are schools except from the DPA?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, why aren't they allowed to write negative ones?

Surely if someone is terrible (albeit is always in/hasn't had a suspension ect) then the tutor should HAVE to say that "such such is a terrible worker, has no ambition, ect ect".

Seems odd to me that they can't
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    Wait, why aren't they allowed to write negative ones?

Surely if someone is terrible (albeit is always in/hasn't had a suspension ect) then the tutor should HAVE to say that "such such is a terrible worker, has no ambition, ect ect".

Seems odd to me that they can't
    They are allowed to. It's a common misconception they aren't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magma828)
    Why would it make any difference if UCAS or the school hold the data? Are schools except from the DPA?
    You don't understand the DPA>
    DPA rules - the body it is sent to have to give access, not the school.

Your previous or current employer doesn't have to show you a reference they've written about you. So if you want to see a reference that's been written about you, you should make a request to the employer the reference was sent to. You should make this request under the Data Protection Act. The employer will then work out whether they can show you the reference, in line with the Data Protection Act.

from
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...htm#references

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    No they cannot your not allowed to put negative things in refrences. And its not the referee that writes the refrence.

Its up to the uni to read between the lines of what has been said but it is not allowed to be negative. Not sure where you get your facts about it being a legal duty and judging by your rep your a troll so stfu and gtfo:cool:
    Utter garbage!
    How many references have you written sunshine?
    when you grow up you'll realise the world is a hard cruel place!
    LOL
    from the previous sourse
    Your employer has a duty to write an accurate reference about you, and shouldn't mislead the employer asking for the reference. But some information shouldn't be included in a reference, unless you agree to it. This is information like your medical records, or information about spent criminal convictions.

In England, Wales and Scotland, for more information about spent criminal convictions and work, see Do I have to tell my employers about my criminal record?

Your employer also mustn't give information in a reference which is inaccurate, or which is deliberately wrong or misleading. If this has happened, you may be able to take action against your employer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    You're allowed to pick who writes your reference, I'd take a copy to your head of year and ask them if they could write one for you. They shouldn't refuse, unless they send you to someone else who could write it better.
    You're allowed to pick who writes your reference

another cracker! You couldn't make this crap up if you tried!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Utter garbage!
    How many references have you written sunshine?
    when you grow up you'll realise the world is a hard cruel place!
    LOL
    from the previous sourse
    Your employer has a duty to write an accurate reference about you, and shouldn't mislead the employer asking for the reference. But some information shouldn't be included in a reference, unless you agree to it. This is information like your medical records, or information about spent criminal convictions.

In England, Wales and Scotland, for more information about spent criminal convictions and work, see Do I have to tell my employers about my criminal record?

Your employer also mustn't give information in a reference which is inaccurate, or which is deliberately wrong or misleading. If this has happened, you may be able to take action against your employer.

Employer you tool thats for a job and yes it is different. That has nothing to do with an educational reference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    They are allowed to. It's a common misconception they aren't.
    Yeah I'd of thought that was weird. Oh well, guess some people in this thread have got it wrong. A ton of it wrong actually.

ReputationRep:
    You're allowed to pick who writes your reference

another cracker! You couldn't make this crap up if you tried!
    You gimp, have you actually had a university reference written for you? Have you had the HEAD OF UNIVERSITY APPLICATIONS stand up and say "We write the references that put you in the best light possible, within the boundaries of truth" followed with "if you aren't happy with who is writing your reference, you can request for someone else".

Tool.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.