The Student Room Group

Please help! English Language or Politics?

I was currently doing 4 A2 subjects up until last wednesday (15th) when I dropped politics (I didn't really want to my school were pushing me to) but now I am wondering whether I made the right decision...

I want to study sociology at university and I am thinking politics may be more useful than english language? However I've been predicted a B in both and I am not sure which one I'm most likely to achieve the better grade in. The politics teacher I had wasn't the greatest and I found the two weeks I had at A2 quite hard...but my friends who also politics who have another teacher say it's really easy this year and they enjoy it. It is very unlikely I am able to change classes and I am not willing to drop my other subjects (history + business) because history is my only predicted A and I feel okay with business. Please help, I really don't know what to do...and If i leave it any later I won't be able to go back to politics because I would have missed too much!! I am in dilemna!!
Well what did you enjoy more at AS? I know they say the level between AS and A2 is a huge leap but they're still the same subject, just more advanced.

I'm an English Language geek, but I'd have loved to have done Politics at A Level instead of one of my others as I know find it a really fascinating topic.

Both subjects could be said to connect to Sociology - obviously Politics will teach you about the class system and economy etc, but in English Lang you'll study accents and the effects they have on peoples' opinions of you which is also interesting.

Basically, I think it comes down to what you think you'll achieve the higher grade in and what you enjoy more - just because your friend is finding Politics easy doesn't mean you will, but that's not to say you won't either!

I reckon, logically, the least relevant subject you take is Business and I have a fair few friends who hated that by the end so, if it was me, I'd probably drop that. However, you say you're fine with Business so it's really your decision.

Anyway, I hope that's helped in some way and not made you more confused!
Reply 2
I did both. English Language is poo, and Politics is awesome. I'm biased of course. So ignore me and do what you want. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending