Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just started a new aca trainee position in september. Studying the first accounting module with kaplan over the last week or so - really struggling with the volume of work. Lecturer bombed through the entire course in 5 days flat, real shock coming from where uni where i had around 15 or so hours a week. Here its 9-5 and 2 hours or so homework in the evening.

On the engage system i seem to be failing most of the fixed tests which isnt too encouraging. On the plus side assurance seems to be relatively easy but the accounting concepts especially control accounts, errors and omissions are leaving me perplexed.

Have the exam in a fortnight and im working from now till then - not sure how i am going to find the time and energy to fit in revision around it.

Anyone else in a similar position? I understand the pass mark is only 55% i just hope that some of the information starts to sink in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HigheR)
    Just started a new aca trainee position in september. Studying the first accounting module with kaplan over the last week or so - really struggling with the volume of work. Lecturer bombed through the entire course in 5 days flat, real shock coming from where uni where i had around 15 or so hours a week. Here its 9-5 and 2 hours or so homework in the evening.

On the engage system i seem to be failing most of the fixed tests which isnt too encouraging. On the plus side assurance seems to be relatively easy but the accounting concepts especially control accounts, errors and omissions are leaving me perplexed.

Have the exam in a fortnight and im working from now till then - not sure how i am going to find the time and energy to fit in revision around it.

Anyone else in a similar position? I understand the pass mark is only 55% i just hope that some of the information starts to sink in
    I'm in pretty much the same position doing the first five modules for ICAS at BPP! Had our second progress test today (doesn't count) which I inevitably bombed. 2-3 hours work per evening seems standard; I didn't realise the step up from uni would be this great!

I'm counting on the hope that my work outside of class will somehow 'add-up' in my head and that ongoing testing, no matter how terribly it goes, forces you to revise topics covered so when it comes to the real thing, with a bit of luck, everything will be fine.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'm afraid that's what it's like pretty much anywhere where you are being paid to study - the firms only give you so much time out of work and you are expected to put in the required time to pass. Kaplan are pretty good though and their pass rates tend to be above the national average. It is a real shock to the system as the intensiveness of the course and the volume of information in a short time are both so different, but you need to just adapt and suck it up - it gets a lot worse than this further into the course!

On the engage system i seem to be failing most of the fixed tests which isnt too encouraging.
    I wouldn't worry too much about the En-gage stuff. Focus on working through the question bank, again and again. You'll find that you'll become familiar with the style of questions asked and with the calculations required. Do the question bank at least twice over before sitting the exam, and with areas you are struggling on, go over them even more.

On the plus side assurance seems to be relatively easy but the accounting concepts especially control accounts, errors and omissions are leaving me perplexed.
    Assurance is one of the easiest exams in my view, so don't rely on them all being that straightforward. But also don't take Assurance for granted - in my intake more people failed Assurance than Accounting because they took it for granted, but honestly the Institute likes to use words and phrasings that might catch you out.

As for struggling with control accounts & errors, talk to your tutor - they should have given you their email or phone number. Your firm is paying Kaplan a lot of money to get you through these exams, so utilise them as a resource - talk to your tutor, arrange some one-on-one time outside of college/work and get them to help you through the tough bits.

As an aside my advice for errors is simply to follow the process:
    a) What did they do? (Dr X, Cr Y)
    b) What should they have done? (Dr A, Cr B)
    c) What do I need to do to make it right? (Cr X, Dr Y, Dr A, Cr B)

Just work through it as logically as possible.

You must, simple as that, or you will fail. Your priority for the first two years is to pass your exams and the firm understands that. But you must make it your priority and act on it.

Don't stick your head in the sand - everyone who I've seen do that has failed because the only way to get through these exams is pure, hard work and question practice. Aim to do about an hour each evening and 4-5 hours a day at the weekend, at least. Accept that you will have no social life while you are revising towards an exam and live with it - remember it is worth it at the end

55% isn't much but it is easy to fail - especially in exams like Accounting which are time-pressured and where you may not even make it to the end of the questions asked. The only way information will sink in is if you act on it by practising and by seeking help. I'm sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but you really need to focus - it is your responsibility to pass and you need to actively work for that rather than hoping things will sink in.

I have been through 14 of the 15 exams with Kaplan and am sitting Case this November so if you want any advice or help feel free to PM me. I really do hope you pass and wish you lots of luck, but please take on board my advice above as the only way to pass these exams is to work and work at them. If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I've just qualified this year and sat all my exams with Kaplan. Have to say they are excellent - I have colleagues who trained with BPP and they sound pretty awful from what I've heard.

Accounting knowledge, in my opinion, was the worst exam. Its not as complex as the professional or advanced stage, but the shock of time pressure, the new concepts, etc etc make it a real challenge.

Stick with it. Do the practice questions and make sure you know where you're going wrong. If you don't understand something speak to your tutor - that's what they're paid for!

I think I was getting around 20 or 30% in the mocks typically and got something around 60 in the real thing.

Good luck! Its tough, but you get into the swing of exams and it will honestly be over before you know it. You're in a very big boat with a lot of people who will also find this tough (you get the odd person who nails everything - we hate them though). People generally don't breeze through ACA as they do at degree or A-Level

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.