Turn on thread page Beta

Classical Composers: Who is your favourite? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alissasantiago)
    Debussy, I :suith: Claire de lune.
    I am always wary of people who say this, owing to the fact that most of them are twilight fangirls who have heard 3 pieces of classical music in their life and haven't listened to any of them all the way through.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocothunder)
    I quite like Back, though Mozzerts alright too.
    :facepalm:

Bach for the win though...

ReputationRep:
    I love this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    I am always wary of people who say this, owing to the fact that most of them are twilight fangirls who have heard 3 pieces of classical music in their life and haven't listened to any of them all the way through.
    Haha, no. My grandad used to play it to me. I've never seen twilight.

ReputationRep:
    Rachmaninov, Karl Jenkins, Einaudi, Glasnov, Prokoviev and Elgar.

ReputationRep:
    I do like Tchaikovsky And I liked Bizet's Carmen.
    Also, Beethoven. Fur Elise is the ultimate :love: I'd love a guy who (okay I've imagined this scene whilst playing it myself - lol I know saddo :p:) takes me away from a party into a room with a piano and plays that to me and you can hear the sound of people chatting outside the door but the melody is what grabs your attention (you can tell I've played Fur Elise when we've had a lot of people round...) and I would just fall for him haha :laugh:. So guys, if you want to pull a girl you know what you've got to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    Requiem Masses? Fauré's gets me every time ...
    A+ to you - have to love the Dies Irae from Verdi's! And Fauré's was the first requiem I ever sang and the first major piece I sang as a tenor (as opposed to treble)

EDIT: More additions - Prokofiev and Bizet. The Arlesienne Suite No.1 is great! And obviously everyone knows the Apprentice theme tune, which is Prokofiev.

ReputationRep:
    Beethoven. I haven't listened to everything. I know all the piano concertos / sonatas and most of the symphonies. Based on those, I like him!

ReputationRep:
    1. Beethoven = Bach
    3. Mozart
    4. Chopin/Rach
    Then the rest

I have a soft spot for Mendelssohn and Webern at times

ReputationRep:
    1. Gustav Mahler, hands down. IMO, the most beautiful and uplifting, yet depressing, tunes and harmonies ever written - contrasted with a full orchestral sound heavier than a lot of metal music. And most of his symphonies are around 1.5 hours long, so you get more of a good thing

2. Ludwig Van Beethoven. Especially after he went deaf and his music became ultra-heavy and truly revolutionary.

3. Dmitri Shostakovich. But only his serious political stuff, especially symphonies 5 and 7. His light music, such as the Jazz Suite, is just gay and embarrassing to listen to.

These 3 composers form about 98% of the classical music I ever listen to. But even out of these, I listen to about 90% Mahler. Because Mahler's lovely depressing music makes me happy

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually listening to Rachmaninov's 2nd piano sonata as i type :p: i think he is consistently my favorite composer (all his piano concerto's, preludes, sonatas and symphonies are just... :eek: )

Other than him, i have a VERY long list of composers i actually adore, it changes depending on my mood.

ReputationRep:
    Ravel!

ReputationRep:
    Handel - zadok the priest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBigRC)
    I'm actually listening to Rachmaninov's 2nd piano sonata as i type :p: i think he is consistently my favorite composer (all his piano concerto's, preludes, sonatas and symphonies are just... :eek: )

Other than him, i have a VERY long list of composers i actually adore, it changes depending on my mood.
    Even number four? REALLY?

Beethoven melts my heart. I would turn gay for him. And I am not even joking.

ReputationRep:
    Chopin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Festina lente)
    Requiem Masses? Fauré's gets me every time ...
    Faure's Cantique de Jean Racine! :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    Faure's Cantique de Jean Racine! :coma:
    True - a great piece!

ReputationRep:
    From those composers which I have had a fair exposure to...

Beethoven and Mozart seem to have the most consistantly good pieces (though perhaps that's just because I have been socially conditioned to hearing them...), Debussy, Gershwin and Rachmaninov are also fantastic composers though.

ReputationRep:
    I am shocked that Chopin has had only two mentions! His piano concertos are wonderful (why did he only write two?!), as are his nocturnes. And the études. And....

Beethoven's symphonies and piano sonatas and concertos are also brilliant, and I agree about Rachmaninov's second piano concerto. What about Saint-Saëns' second piano concerto? I love that too, (after hearing it on BBC Young Musician). I also have all of Mozart's piano concertos. Yes, I like piano concertos a lot

Ooh, and slightly off the beaten track, but I like Lizst's Hungarian Rhapsodies. You hear No. 2 fairly often, but I really like No. 6. (He wrote 19.)

Oh, I love so many, but my favourite is Chopin, I think. His sound is just unique, and just... wonderful!

I've noticed that I've almost exclusively mentioned piano music. Well... I like piano music, mainly because I play it. But I also like Bruch's and Mendelssohn's violin concertos, and Grieg's violin sonatas (though they have piano parts...). Ok, now I'm just listing my entire music collection, so I'll just stop.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.