Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Classical Composers: Who is your favourite? watch

ReputationRep:
    Mahler, Shostakovich and Rachmaninov.

Also some Beethoven.

Mozart and Bach, however, make me want to insert a pointed stick into my eye and wiggle it around. (Will probably get negged for that but I really can't stand them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staticrhubarb)

Also some Beethoven.

Mozart and Bach, however, make me want to insert a pointed stick into my eye and wiggle it around. (Will probably get negged for that but I really can't stand them)
    Don't lump Mozart and Bach together, they're from different periods and are completely different. But seriously? Symphony no. 40 from Mozart and the cello suites from Bach don't interest you?

ReputationRep:
    Messiaen, Holst, Beethoven, Liszt, Tchaikovsky & Paganini

From those, Paganini is probably the favourite right now... or Holst. I can't decide.

(Original post by staticrhubarb)

Also some Beethoven.

Errr... how can you possibly make that statement? Both of those composers have amazing work.

(Original post by Dededex)
    But none, in my opinion, compare to the Musical God that is Scriabin; he's simply underrated... The "Mysterium"... is just brilliant! His Etudes and Preludes alike!
    I haven't heard any of his stuff. I'll have to check it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Even number four? REALLY?
    I love number four! The second movement is so beautiful. The melody is so simple, it's just...mmmm

I'd say Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Sibelius, Shostakovich, Stravinsky, Elgar, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, WAGNER! How has Wagner not been mentioned?! The Overture to Tannhäuser is incredible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cordeliacork)
    Personally I love Grieg.
    Me too, I always get the chicken pasty. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Probably, Mozart, Vivaldi and Haydn - but it is a tough choice, because I also like Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Bach, Mendelssohn, Bruch, Telemann, Handel....etc etc - yes, you get the gist.

In short - I really could not say.... even more so that I am discovering some more new composers from the Baroque and "Classical" period...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derangedyoshi)
    Don't lump Mozart and Bach together, they're from different periods and are completely different. But seriously? Symphony no. 40 from Mozart and the cello suites from Bach don't interest you?
    I'm completely aware that they're completely different in styles and eras, the only reason I lumped them together was because I can't stand either of them.

And no, symphony 40 and the Bach cello suites don't interest me. I'd much rather play/listen to something that gets my pulse racing and neither of those composers (or pieces suggested) do it for me.

(Original post by philistine)
    Errr... how can you possibly make that statement? Both of those composers have amazing work.
    Just because you find them amazing doesn't mean the entire rest of the world does. Everybody has different musical tastes. I can appreciate that they were groundbreaking and revolutionary and all the rest of it but their music is just not what I want to listen to.

ReputationRep:
    saint saens
    smetana
    Beethoven is still the best, though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtLuyWuPDs

how do I embed?

**** I forgot Bach and Schubert (latter is also the best)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    saint saens
    smetana
    Beethoven is still the best, though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdtLuyWuPDs

how do I embed?

**** I forgot Bach and Schubert (latter is also the best)
    [youtube ]kdtLuyWuPDs[/youtube] (without the space)

ReputationRep:
    Chopin.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult to say and I can't pretend to know all their back catalogues - particularly Mozart/Beethoven(are they endless?).

So pleased to see Rachmaninoff is so popular. He'd probably make no.1 on my list. Although Mozart and Tchaikovsky are up there too. I've just started listening to Beethoven, having never much been a fan, I think I'm growing into it.

I find Bach rather boring and I'm not remotely interested in Elgar - why can't us Brits do classical music?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    Difficult to say and I can't pretend to know all their back catalogues - particularly Mozart/Beethoven(are they endless?).

So pleased to see Rachmaninoff is so popular. He'd probably make no.1 on my list. Although Mozart and Tchaikovsky are up there too. I've just started listening to Beethoven, having never much been a fan, I think I'm growing into it.

I find Bach rather boring and I'm not remotely interested in Elgar - why can't us Brits do classical music?
    Purcell, Britten, Holst, Vaughan Williams? Though Elgar is also awesome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninadakash)
    Rachmaninoff, Shostakovich, Chopin, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Satie, Lizst, Smetana, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Gorecki, Debussy, Patrick Cassidy...
    I also have a soft spot for Mussorgsky because his first name was Modest
    Maybe it was meant ironically?

ReputationRep:
    > Rach fans everywhere
    > One mention of Wagner
    > Mfw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danadd9)
    > Rach fans everywhere
    > One mention of Wagner
    > Mfw
    Yay that was me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    Purcell, Britten, Holst, Vaughan Williams? Though Elgar is also awesome.
    You forgot the man who adapted a Holger Drachmann poem into his Sakuntala, and whose second opera, Magic Fountain, was never performed in his lifetime. Some of his Norway-inspired works include the tone poem Eventyr, or Once Upon a Time, as well as the symphonic choral work A Song of the High Hills. His George Washington Cable-inspired opera Koanga repeated the "La Calinda" tune from the "Daybreak" movement of a suite which depicted the St. Johns River, while his most famous work is an opera in which the son of Manz and the daughter of Marti, Sali and Vreli, avoid the Dark Fiddler and eventually drown together. He included the Norwegian folk song In Ola Valley in his On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring and adapted a Percy Grainger arrangement of a folk song into his Brigg Fair. For 10 points, identify this English composer, a former orange grower whose works include Florida Suite and A Village Romeo and Juliet.

>____>

Spoiler:
    Show
    Delius!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    You forgot the man who adapted a Holger Drachmann poem into his Sakuntala, and whose second opera, Magic Fountain, was never performed in his lifetime. Some of his Norway-inspired works include the tone poem Eventyr, or Once Upon a Time, as well as the symphonic choral work A Song of the High Hills. His George Washington Cable-inspired opera Koanga repeated the "La Calinda" tune from the "Daybreak" movement of a suite which depicted the St. Johns River, while his most famous work is an opera in which the son of Manz and the daughter of Marti, Sali and Vreli, avoid the Dark Fiddler and eventually drown together. He included the Norwegian folk song In Ola Valley in his On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring and adapted a Percy Grainger arrangement of a folk song into his Brigg Fair. For 10 points, identify this English composer, a former orange grower whose works include Florida Suite and A Village Romeo and Juliet.

>____>

Spoiler:
    Show
    Delius!
    I didn't know the answer until "On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring" I think people would have been looking disapprovingly at me by that point. When did that question get asked? I don't remember it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    I didn't know the answer until "On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring" I think people would have been looking disapprovingly at me by that point. When did that question get asked? I don't remember it.
    I don't know if we've played that packet; I just searched the archives for a toss-up on Delius. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    I don't know if we've played that packet; I just searched the archives for a toss-up on Delius. :dontknow:
    Oh okay. Fair point though, I should have included Delius in my list.

ReputationRep:
    Not classical, but Grovlez and Chopin. I love the Romantic era.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.