Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Classical Composers: Who is your favourite? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Also like Chopin, especially his nocturnes and polonaises. Other favs: Satie, Mozart(Don Giovanni, Requiem and Grand Mass above all) and Wagner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dededex)
    When I first listened to Classical Music, I was won over by Rachmaninov and his, admittedly overplayed, Prelude in C Sharp Min.

But after a while I started to change. Still loved Rachmeister but I started to become obsessed with Schoenberg and all the whacky things he's done :eek3:

But none, in my opinion, compare to the Musical God that is Scriabin; he's simply underrated... The "Mysterium"... is just brilliant! His Etudes and Preludes alike!

As you can see I like Russian dudes when it comes to Classical :rolleyes:

Anyway, how about you guys?
    I'm a big Chopin fan. The piano nocturnes are to die for... especially Nocturne in E minor... or C minor

I also love Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake and Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. Not a big fan of Mozart. Some of his stuff's too 'happy' for my taste - except the Requiem... and Fauré, I love Fauré. Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.3 is a great one. Oh and I like Handel's choral stuff (but boy is it hard to sing)... I'm singing a beautiful song for my grade 8 called 'The Spirit Song' by Hayden. It's so unlike his other music... it's absolutely gorgeous.

And I LOVE La Boheme...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMusiqueEstMaVie)
    I'm a big Chopin fan. The piano nocturnes are to die for... especially Nocturne in E minor... or C minor
    Op.48 No.2 :suith:

If by "favourite" we mean "the composer you'd keep if all the others had to disappear", then it'll always be Beethoven.

ReputationRep:
    Beethoven!

ReputationRep:
    Shostakovich

ReputationRep:
    Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Palestrina, Mahler, Wagner, Schubert, Schönberg, Stravinsky, Messiaen, Britten... and so many more!

ReputationRep:
    Shostakovich
    Grovlez
    Poulenc
    Vivaldi

ReputationRep:
    John Williams of the London Symphony Orchestra

ReputationRep:
    Beethoven is my favourite. the piano sonatas, the symphonies, the quartets, the Missa Solemnis. Every type of music you want is there.
    Rachmaninoff is another of my favourites, though, and I have to admit a certain fondness for Schoenberg.

ReputationRep:
    I love Grieg, Sibelius, Brahms, Saint-Saens, Vaughan-Williams. Chopin is probably one of my least favourite composers Sorry Chopin lovers!

Favourite is probably Copland though...

ReputationRep:
    1. Wagner
    2. Liszt
    3. Chopin
    4. Bach
    5. Paganini
    6. Johann strauss II

Don't think i have much preference after that.

PS. i'm the only one who likes wagner? :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derp)
    I love Grieg, Sibelius, Brahms, Saint-Saens, Vaughan-Williams. Chopin is probably one of my least favourite composers Sorry Chopin lovers!

I don't want to neg you for this, but I couldn't just not let you know how much I don't like this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meatball893)
    I don't want to neg you for this, but I couldn't just not let you know how much I don't like this
    Ahahaha very good of you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superfoggy)
    Funny, mine is Rachmaninov's piano concerto #2 in c minor. Although it does change frequently.

Rachmaninoff Concerto N. 2 - II. Adagio sostenuto (1/2)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llveGVApdz4

no idea how it fits with the rest of the concerto, havent looked, this part is fine on its own.
    That, and the first movement. All time favourite. The music just speaks the truth really. And also, the Ravel piano concerto movt II <3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftJ-gJ-l5HQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derp)

Not Saint-Saens! Noooooooooooooooo!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Not Saint-Saens! Noooooooooooooooo!
    Whaaaaa? He is awesome! Organ symphony, clarinet sonata, so many more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by derp)
    Whaaaaa? He is awesome! Organ symphony, clarinet sonata, so many more...
    Nahhhhhhhhhhh MATE. If you're going to listen to crap Romantics, at least make it Weber!

EDIT: To clarify, I am a big fan of crap Romantics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Nahhhhhhhhhhh MATE. If you're going to listen to crap Romantics, at least make it Weber!

EDIT: To clarify, I am a big fan of crap Romantics.
    I'm going to agree both that Saint-Saens is rubbish and that Weber is much better.

Spoiler:
    Show
    SHAMELESS PLUG: If you like Weber, you should totally come to the Merton-Univ concert on Sunday evening where I'm conducting the Overture to Der Freischutz

ReputationRep:
    Poulenc at the moment. :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    1. Beethoven = Bach
    3. Mozart
    4. Chopin/Rach
    Then the rest

I have a soft spot for Mendelssohn and Webern at times
    I know this is an old post, but would you really rate Rach and Chopin above, say, Haydn?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.