Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Classical Composers: Who is your favourite? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths_Lover)
    It's true. I can only do that if I press down half of the keys inbetween, which doesn't count... even then I can only do nine.

His pieces are very stretchy indeed... the notes are so far apart on some of the sheet music! :lolwut:
    that's when inventive finger gymnastics and pedalling come into play! Mind you I haven't yet found an interval (in Rach) which is impossible to play. I usually stretch it somehow.

Oooh talking of pedalling, Debussy pedalling for pieces such as The Sunken Cathedral is so amazingly technical and interesting isn't it

ReputationRep:
    When you say classical, I assume you mean that in the broad sense. I suppose my favourites are Rachmaninov and Chopin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideot)
    that's when inventive finger gymnastics and pedalling come into play! Mind you I haven't yet found an interval (in Rach) which is impossible to play. I usually stretch it somehow.

Oooh talking of pedalling, Debussy pedalling for pieces such as The Sunken Cathedral is so amazingly technical and interesting isn't it
    You haven't played much Rachmaninov then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    You haven't played much Rachmaninov then
    Have. But I have massive hands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideot)

Hahaha. I know! I probably can't play most of the chords.

Interesting performance directions, too: "profoundly calm".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideot)
    Have. But I have massive hands
    I can reach 9-10 notes, and I have found some challenges.

ReputationRep:

I love his Piano Quartet in A minor. :love:
    Tsch, probably the worst example of Mahler's work there is :P. Epic-scale orchestral music with the heaviness and diversity of progressive metal was Mahler's forté. Pun completely intended .

(Original post by Ideot)
    Agreed. Mahler is brilliant.
    You're 16 years old (what it says on your profile), and you think Mahler is brilliant? That's a first... at the age of 16, Mahler sounded like a tuneless dirge to me - as it does even to most adults.

In fact, I only ever started listening to Mahler to piss my mum off cos she hates his music.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha. I know! I probably can't play most of the chords.

Interesting performance directions, too: "profoundly calm".
    Yes but there's this really cool technique my teacher taught me, where you sort of hold down the mute pedal as you put down the sustainer - it causes the piano to sustain one note, while leaving the others unsustained and clear.

I love the piano <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    Totally agree about Chopin, self indulgent tosh.

After Mozart there is no one.
    To an extent aye, since above there's Bach and Beethoven

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    Tsch, probably the worst example of Mahler's work there is :P. Epic-scale orchestral music with the heaviness and diversity of progressive metal was Mahler's forté. Pun completely intended .

You're 16 years old (what it says on your profile), and you think Mahler is brilliant? That's a first... at the age of 16, Mahler sounded like a tuneless dirge to me - as it does even to most adults.

In fact, I only ever started listening to Mahler to piss my mum off cos she hates his music.
    Oh psh so I should be a Bieber fan because I'm sixteen? I was a Stravinsky fanatic at the age of thirteen, I think Mahler is beautiful. That is quite similar to saying that because I'm sixteen, I should loathe James Joyce and be gobbling up Twilight.

:cool:

Edit: Prokofiev is amazing also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)

To an extent aye, since above there's Bach and Beethoven
    BEETHOVEN

*worships*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideot)
    Yes but there's this really cool technique my teacher taught me, where you sort of hold down the mute pedal as you put down the sustainer - it causes the piano to sustain one note, while leaving the others unsustained and clear.

I love the piano <3
    I used to do this, felt like I was ruining my piano though because every time I could hear a clunk (You're not using a sostenuto pedal right?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc1000)
    Well. I still like it. :hmmm:

(Original post by Ideot)

I love the piano <3
    :love: Piano.

I shall try that technique when I next need to.

My two favourite instruments are the piano and the violin. :love:

(Original post by Ideot)
    BEETHOVEN

*worships*
    :lol:

Agrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    I used to do this, felt like I was ruining my piano though because every time I could hear a clunk (You're not using a sostenuto pedal right?)
    Nope not a sostenuto pedal My piano is a regular upright I'm afraid. But I still love him.

Hmm - did the clunk only happen when you did that kind of pedalling? I don't get a clunk, perhaps a little sigh, but not a big massive clunk :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideot)
    Oh psh so I should be a Bieber fan because I'm sixteen? I was a Stravinsky fanatic at the age of thirteen, I think Mahler is beautiful. That is quite similar to saying that because I'm sixteen, I should loathe James Joyce and be gobbling up Twilight.

Not at all. It's just that Mahler's music is a good example of 'hardcore' classical music; and people who like it only tend to get into it in their 20s at the very earliest.

16 year olds are more likely to listen to lightweight stuff such as Mozart and Tchaikovsky, whereas I think Mahler's music requires some degree of life experience and turmoil (I'm only 21 myself, but the point still stands) to appreciate it. No offense, but most 16 year olds don't have the emotional maturity or capability to appreciate Mahler. Obviously you do, though :P

It's why, whenever you see Mahler performed at the Proms, there are about 2 people in the whole audience without grey hair.

ReputationRep:

:love: Piano.

I shall try that technique when I next need to.

My two favourite instruments are the piano and the violin. :love:

:lol:

Agrees.
    Beethoven's Pathetique is just my favourite favourite favourite of his pieces, with the Apassionata in second place. It is so tiring though, even just the third movement played on it's own, the frigging staccato bit is hard to get perfect :ashamed:

I love the violin too. I actually bought one, but it is terrible, so I am selling it to get a decent one. I have a decent enough flute though, it was cheap, but it sounds so mellow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideot)

:cool:

Edit: Prokofiev is amazing also
    Appreciates Prokofiev and Mahler, and yet still a member of the Phantom of the Opera Soc...

I hate Lloyd Webber's music with a burning passion.

ReputationRep:
    wonder's how many people had heard of Debussy before blasted Twilight.

As for classical composers, I don't really have a favourite. Although if I could choose a modern one, it'd be John Powell currently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ideot)
    Nope not a sostenuto pedal My piano is a regular upright I'm afraid. But I still love him.

Hmm - did the clunk only happen when you did that kind of pedalling? I don't get a clunk, perhaps a little sigh, but not a big massive clunk :confused:
    Yeah, mine only worked with the middle practice pedal, not the left soft pedal, which is probably why. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Debussy is a genius. Tchaikovsky ( Piano concert #1 in D). <3

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.