Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!!

I've been stuck on a few questions for a while now and can't seem to find the answers anywhere...I have tried my text book but it hasn't helped much.

The questions are as follows:

1. Why was a radioactive carbon source used for investigating light-independent reactions?

2. Why was the glass container for the suspension of algae flattened?

3. In an investigation using this apparatus (apparatus Calvin used to investigate the light independent reactions in photosynthesis) the amount of radioactive carbon was measured in four chemicals formed after five different periods of photosynthesis. The results are shown in the table:

Compound Time allowed for photosynthesis/seconds
    5 15 60 180 600
    A 0.7 2.3 6.0 10.2 7.5
    B 1.3 2.2 3.4 3.5 3.5
    C 0.08 0.17 0.25 1.2 1.2
    D 0.02 0.03 0.9 0.19 1.8

a) Use the information in the table to place the compounds A to D in the order in which they are formed. Name the first two compounds in the Calvin Cycle.

b) Explain why the level of compount B remained steady in the later samples.

Sorry for the long winded post...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.