Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have never quite understood why Halal meat is still accepted today- it does seem terribly unkind. It made sense in the olden days because it ensured that the animals were clean. However, surely in the 21st century, it is unnecessary and unpleasant for the animals which are to be slaughtered?

No inane comments please, I just wish to know why it is still in practice.

ReputationRep:
    Muslim community still requires it, if any goverment tried to ban it then they would be labled racist hence it still allowed

ReputationRep:
    It's actually a quick and painless way of slaughtering an animal.

ReputationRep:
    Muslims one of the fastest growing demographics don't forget, along with pansexuals it would seem.

ReputationRep:
    All meat = unpleasant / slaughtered. (IMO)

ReputationRep:
    cos thers bare demand for it innit

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about?

Halal slaughter can included stunning of an animal with electric shock.

Unless you interpret electric shock as a physical blow, (which is a disallowed method of slaughter in the Quran)

In fact the tradition method of a clean cut of the jugular, has been used for so long by muslims, because it has unequivocally been the quickest and most painless method for a long time. Since when you cut the jugular, no blood (hence no oxygen) reaches the brain, therefore no pain can be felt, since the brain stops function, instant Brain-dead. It drains the body of blood effectively(which cannot be consumed)

The core precept of Halal Slaughter, is killing the animal, while uttering 'In the name of God (Allah)'

ReputationRep:
    muslims only eat halal meat , so ofcourse its needed!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Muslim community still requires it, if any goverment tried to ban it then they would be labled racist hence it still allowed
    OK, I get that it is a requirement, but why exactly is it a requirement? The argument that 'it just is' doesn't seem to be that convincing

The point of this thread was...

ReputationRep:
    OHHH here we go again.

ReputationRep:
    Why isnt all meat halal...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.S.Cobb)
    OK, I get that it is a requirement, but why exactly is it a requirement? The argument that 'it just is' doesn't seem to be that convincing
    Well that is why you aren't a muslim isn't it. Little something called faith, why did God create the world? He just did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)

Unless you interpret electric shock as a physical blow, (which is a disallowed method of slaughter in the Quran)

In fact the tradition method of a clean cut of the jugular, has been used for so long by muslims, because it has unequivocally been the quickest and most painless method for a long time. Since when you cut the jugular, no blood (hence no oxygen) reaches the brain, therefore no pain can be felt, since the brain stops function, instant Brain-dead. It drains the body of blood effectively(which cannot be consumed)

The core precept of Halal Slaughter, is killing the animal, while uttering 'In the name of God (Allah)'
    problem solved OP (:
    i can think of so many pettier religious rules tbh
    like pork - why is eating pork still not allowed despite much better hygiene standards? is there a spiritual reason behind it? (genuine question)

i do think it's hilarious though that so many rituals that people strongly associate wth a certain religion (even people OF that religion!) were just rituals carried out in countries where that religion was practised by the majority of the population for purely practical reasons
    like burqas and halal
    correct me in i'm wrong, but are either of those specifically mentioned in the koran? maybe, maybe not, but either way there are/were some very good practical reasons for those traditions
    this doesnt even just apply to islam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)

Oh, I did not realize they could stun the animals. I've been told that it wasn't allowed - I guess I've just been misinformed.

I believe however (indeed it is common knowledge) that cutting the jugular does not lead to immediate loss of consciousness - i.e. they can feel. In fact it can take up to four minutes for this to happen. cow will bleed to death from a sliced jugular in aaprox. 2 minutes. It just doesn't seem very kind on the animals?

ReputationRep:
    OP: "Im bored, its a sunday evening, I know, I'll spark a debate that has been done to death and will never end".

(Original post by Vintage <3)
    OHHH here we go again.
    I always thought Lowkey was uneccassarily millitant, but I saw your sig in another thread and watched that video, and it was very powerful. I wish he would stick to stuff like that because it really makes a valid point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    problem solved OP (:
    i can think of so many pettier religious rules tbh
    like pork - why is eating pork still not allowed despite much better hygiene standards? is there a spiritual reason behind it? (genuine question)

i do think it's hilarious though that so many rituals that people strongly associate wth a certain religion (even people OF that religion!) were just rituals carried out in countries where that religion was practised by the majority of the population for purely practical reasons
    like burqas and halal
    correct me in i'm wrong, but are either of those specifically mentioned in the koran? maybe, maybe not, but either way there are/were some very good practical reasons for those traditions
    this doesnt even just apply to islam

Yes, I agree with you in many respcts. I also happen to think that the prohibition of the eating of pork is not a particularly relevant command for today. Many years ago Christians refrained form eating sea animals because it was likewise forbidden in the Bible - now of course hygiene has improved and such rules are, on the whole, ignored.

I suppose the difference between the Jewish principles with regards to pork, and that of Halal meat, is this: Not eating pork is not painful/cruel or thee pig. In contrast, there does seem to be evidence suggesting that the way in which halal meat is prepared, is painful for the animals which are to be slaughtered.

ReputationRep:
    This should help you:

http://www.slideshare.net/arkam_slid...nly-halal-food

ReputationRep:
    halal meat doesnt have a whole lot to do with the method of slaughter, a fairly large proportion of it is stunned anyway. It just has to be blessed, whereas conventional slaughtering doesnt need to do this, for obvious reasons
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Muslims are not a race....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.