Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Lol I'm pretty sure animals are often treated worse by non-Muslims in the meat industry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In2deep)
    I'm getting tired of correcting your mistakes, please don't act like a spokesperson for Islam when you make mistakes such as these.

Here is an article on the issue:
    Im getting tired getting annoyed by your mullah mutterings.

Oh please, Im talking in a Quranic way, I specifically said it wasnt a traditional way, I dont care what your ''scholar'' says about the issue with his outdated traditions, I care about what the Quran stipulates, (because Quran if for all time)

ReputationRep:
    'coz me and your mum had synchronised sex last night.
    Oh yeah...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    problem solved OP (:
    like burqas and halal
    correct me in i'm wrong, but are either of those specifically mentioned in the koran? maybe, maybe not, but either way there are/were some very good practical reasons for those traditions
    this doesnt even just apply to islam
    Well firstly pork even with hygiene standards is stilll the unhealthiest type of consumable meat, because its so fattening and causes the highest risk of heart disease.

And no the Burqa is not in the Quran :lol:, you can find out what it says in the Quran in this link. The burqa is actually a traditional arab dress worn in the desert, to keep sand out of our eyes. Nothing to do with Islam
    http://www.misconceptions-about-isla...women-veil.htm

And about the halal method, the Quranic method is what I said in my original post. Tradition has evolved from this method.

ReputationRep:
    Killing animals is generally quite cruel, doesnt matter if it is halal or not.
    I love eating meat, I know it's cruel but I just try not to think about how they died

ReputationRep:
    The 'it's painless for the animal' argument is a load of crap. Bleeding to death less painful than say, bolt guns straight to the brain? Get real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidR1991)
    The 'it's painless for the animal' argument is a load of crap. Bleeding to death less painful than say, bolt guns straight to the brain? Get real.
    This.

F**k me could you imagine the uproar if it were the other way round, Muslims being served non Halal meat. I don't want my meat slaughtered this way and I should not be judged for it, I will be avoiding any company that uses Halal meat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidR1991)
    It doesnt bleed to death.

The common carotid artery is an artery that supplies the head and neck with oxygenated blood; is severed, so no oxygenated blood reached the brain.

If not oxygen reaches the brain, the brain stops functioning, hence no pain is felt, once the brain stop functioning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Muslims are not a race....
    Someone who finally gets it.

ReputationRep:
    When muslims kill so many innocent people with bombs and other terrorist attacks, do you really think they care about making animals suffer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Why isnt all meat halal...?
    Because not everyone wants to support the lifestyle of a religion that they do not agree with. Halal may or may not be a humane method of killing animals, but I don't particularly care. For me, I won't knowingly eat halal meat because I don't agree with Islam, and it's a matter of principle in trying not to support what I consider to be archaic and completely unsuitable Islamic customs.

Halal meat should be like kosher - clearly labelled and available separately for those that wish to buy it, but I'll be damned if it's to become the norm in this country. I don't see why those who do not agree with the principles of halal or Islam in general should be given no choice in the matter. It's just part of a worrying trend in trying to cover up information about our food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    It doesnt bleed to death.

The common carotid artery is an artery that supplies the head and neck with oxygenated blood; is severed, so no oxygenated blood reached the brain.
    That explanation of no O2 = no pain is a complete load of bull. You can remain conscious without supply of oxygen to your brain for just under a minute (if not more) - just because an artery is cut does not mean the animal is instantly unable to feel pain. They may eventually be unable to feel pain (either they lose consciousness or go into shock) but it certainly isn't the instant the knife cuts the throat

Also, losing the blood supply to your brain via an incision is another way of saying 'bleeding to death' which is what you refuted (and yet reinforced)

If not oxygen reaches the brain, the brain stops functioning, hence no pain is felt, once the brain stop functioning.
    Yeah, key word - ONCE the brain stops functioning. That is not immediate

EDIT: Just a quick additional point - whilst most slaughter methods involve bleeding any way (to keep the carcass hygienic) they also involve methods to either stun the animal or induce brain trauma before they are cut and bleed (e.g. captive bolt guns). Halal methods don't normally use stunning methods and go straight to the cutting, which is the issue I have with it

ReputationRep:
    OK first of all, how is it "terribly unkind"? If anything between halal and haram, halal is always going to be the better choice for numerous reasons. Second of all, you're saying it's "unnecessary and unpleasant for the animals which are to be slaughtered" - how on earth do you think your chicken/fish etc are made if you're not a vegetarian or vegan? They just hand them over to you alive on a platter? I don't understand why you singled out "halal meat".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)

If this were true, then the majority of butchers wouldn't bother to stun the animal first. Why do you think they are stunned before slaughter? To ensure that they feel absolutely nothing as they die.

I avoid halal and kosher meat at all costs, in the same way I won't use battery farm products or eat foie gras. If I am going to eat meat then I want to be sure the animal lived and died in a suitable way which meets animal welfare standards... and halal definitely doesn't meet those standards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Because not everyone wants to support the lifestyle of a religion that they do not agree with. Halal may or may not be a humane method of killing animals, but I don't particularly care. For me, I won't knowingly eat halal meat because I don't agree with Islam, and it's a matter of principle in trying not to support what I consider to be archaic and completely unsuitable Islamic customs.

Halal meat should be like kosher - clearly labelled and available separately for those that wish to buy it, but I'll be damned if it's to become the norm in this country. I don't see why those who do not agree with the principles of halal or Islam in general should be given no choice in the matter. It's just part of a worrying trend in trying to cover up information about our food.
    Is kosher meat always clearly labelled? I don't know why people aren't informed about it tbh, Muslims/Jews can't eat the meat if they don't know its halal/kosher. They must assume it's not if it's not labelled as such.

ReputationRep:
    Oh look another idiotic thread.

There is still halaal meat because there are still Muslims who wish to eat it.

/thread.
    NEXT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    In fact the tradition method of a clean cut of the jugular, has been used for so long by muslims, because it has unequivocally been the quickest and most painless method for a long time. Since when you cut the jugular, no blood (hence no oxygen) reaches the brain, therefore no pain can be felt, since the brain stops function, instant Brain-dead.
    Except that doesn't happen because you can't "instantly" starve the brain of oxygen like that, it'd still be unfathomably painful for several seconds.
    Even when severing all of the related veins and arteries, the brain would continue to function for several seconds as the oxygen and other vital chemicals already inside the brain were used up.
    I don't have so much of a problem with the halal method of slaughter provided and electric stunner is also used, and I fail to see why so many halal butchers do not use such a device.

If you're going to try to disprove what I just said (there was another similar thread a few weeks ago) then please come up with a source that doesn't say "almighty allah" every other sentence, that was tiresome the last time I had this discussion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolmushroom)
    When muslims kill so many innocent people with bombs and other terrorist attacks, do you really think they care about making animals suffer?
    Could you be more ignorant. Educate yourself.

ReputationRep:
    1. We have halal meat because we do.
    2. Arguing about the 'humanity' of one method of slaughter over another is quite...ridiculous for lack of a better word. The animals need to be bled dry with any form of slaughter. Are multiple stunnings (because of the different pain/stun thresholds of different animals) any more humane than cutting it's neck? I'm not saying torture animals to death of course, but the difference between stunning and then slaughtering or just slaughtering without a stun are miniscule at best.
    3. Stunning, I believe, is allowed in Islam. However, the animal still needs to be slaughtered in the traditional method of cutting it's neck whilst offering a blessing. The problem with stunning with regards to Halal meat is that the stun cannot kill the animal - if the animal has died from the stun, then it can no longer be halal.

It's a really sily argument though as it could be argued multiple ways - e.g. Why is all meat not halal? Why are we not all vegetarians? Why is their kosher meat? Why are we not all vegans? Why don't people eat pork? Why do people eat pork?

The OP is slightly silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)
    Could you be more ignorant. Educate yourself.
    Yes I could be you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.