Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolmushroom)
    Yes I could be you.
    That's pathetic. I said could you be more ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know, its cruel and it banned in many other European countries.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Muslim community still requires it, if any goverment tried to ban it then they would be labled racist hence it still allowed
    This

ReputationRep:
    It would appear you have just discovered capitalism.

Or you've never made the link before. You have now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    If this were true, then the majority of butchers wouldn't bother to stun the animal first. Why do you think they are stunned before slaughter? To ensure that they feel absolutely nothing as they die.

I still agree, all halal butchers should start stunning the animals.

Well I know that many halal butchers do indeed use stunning prior to slaughter, and I hope that many are convinced to use this method.

The problem lies with Extreme/Traditional Muslims who dont want to change, and want to do things they've been doing for 1400 years, even when they are better improvement of methods available.

Halal is defined in the Quran, from this verse

5:3
    "Forbidden to you is that which is already dead, and the blood, and the meat of pig, and what was dedicated to other than Allah, and that which has been strangled, and that which has been beaten to death, and that which has fallen from a height, and that which has been gored, and that which the wild animals have eaten from except what you managed to rescue, and what has been slaughtered on altars, and what you divide by the arrows of chance.

6:119
    "And why should you not eat that on which the name of God has been mentioned, when He has fully detailed to you what has been made unlawful; except what you are forced to? Many misguide by their desires without knowledge; your Lord is fully aware of the transgressors."

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how stunning and then butchering it is any more pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.S.Cobb)
    I have never quite understood why Halal meat is still accepted today- it does seem terribly unkind. It made sense in the olden days because it ensured that the animals were clean. However, surely in the 21st century, it is unnecessary and unpleasant for the animals which are to be slaughtered?

No inane comments please, I just wish to know why it is still in practice.
    how is this a problem for you may I ask?
    Slaughtering is the most painLESS method for killing an animal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)
    Muslim community still requires it, if any goverment tried to ban it then they would be labled racist hence it still allowed
    Number 1 answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.S.Cobb)
    I have never quite understood why Halal meat is still accepted today- it does seem terribly unkind. It made sense in the olden days because it ensured that the animals were clean. However, surely in the 21st century, it is unnecessary and unpleasant for the animals which are to be slaughtered?

No inane comments please, I just wish to know why it is still in practice.
    well the theory is that after cutting the jugular, the animal dies really quickly; most find it inhumane due to the blood etc...

whereas no blood is seen when an animal is stunned, it doesn't make it less humane.

its perceived that slaughtering is cruel+ inhumane etc.. not proven.

i dont understand what the fuss is about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_Alom)
    well the theory is that after cutting the jugular, the animal dies really quickly; most find it inhumane due to the blood etc...

whereas no blood is seen when an animal is stunned, it doesn't make it less humane.
    They still slit the throat after it has been stunned you know. The animal isn't killed when it is stunned, just... stunned, braindead. Most people have a problem with Halal when it isn't stunned first, when they just slit the throat of an animal which is alive and 'aware'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G550NDH)
    sweaaaaaar downnn to the groooouuunnnd
    ok

ReputationRep:
    i dont know, but there are animals that are un-halal that are treated much worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)
    That's pathetic. I said could you be more ignorant.
    Sorry but I owned you *****!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowman786)
    1. We have halal meat because we do.

It's a really sily argument though as it could be argued multiple ways - e.g. Why is all meat not halal? Why are we not all vegetarians? Why is their kosher meat? Why are we not all vegans? Why don't people eat pork? Why do people eat pork?

The OP is slightly silly.
    I may be ignorant, but not silly. I think you may have confused these two things. Now I am less ignorant. While this thread may seem troll to some, it is in fact extremely useful in that it does allow for a number of opinions and evidence - some of which does at least seem fairly authoritative.

By beginning this thread I have established a number of points which have allowed me to reach a seemingly sensible conclusion. it has also shown me a spectrum of opinions allowing me to weigh up the evidence while taking demographics into account.

Some may call ignorance silly. Others may call belief in God silly. I am less ignorant. If you can, please solve the Euthyphro dilemma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c++renegade)
    'coz me and your mum had synchronised sex last night.
    Oh yeah...

A stunning answer...I hope it made you happy.

(Original post by moregano)
    It's actually a quick and painless way of slaughtering an animal.
    I didn't know exsanguination was quick or painless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I didn't know exsanguination was quick or painless.
    The main artery in the throat is cut with a very sharp blade, which kills the animal instantly. The blood is drained once the animal is already dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)
    OK first of all, how is it "terribly unkind"? If anything between halal and haram, halal is always going to be the better choice for numerous reasons. Second of all, you're saying it's "unnecessary and unpleasant for the animals which are to be slaughtered" - how on earth do you think your chicken/fish etc are made if you're not a vegetarian or vegan? They just hand them over to you alive on a platter? I don't understand why you singled out "halal meat".

I suppose my ignorance singled out halal meat I was not aware beforehand that producing halal meat frequently included the use of stunning. I have gathered that stunning IS kinder than not.

Incidentally, what are the 'numerous reasons' you suggest there are?Also I believe my meat etc is born (not made) and then slaughtered in the least painful way possible.

On a side note, perhaps eating meat is unnecessary for humans - we could all survive on lentils and such like quite well. Having said that, the cosmic alteration in diet of the world population might cause such political and economical damage, that eating meat is necessary - at least for the time being. I am still strongly considering becoming a vegetarian myself based on ethical grounds.

(Original post by moregano)
    The main artery in the throat is cut with a very sharp blade, which kills the animal instantly. The blood is drained once the animal is already dead.
    Tuff. I still like my steak bloody.

ReputationRep:
    You all need to watch this video before any of you have an opinion on halal slaughter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQOKQ__3vQw

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.