Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think about parents who want to select/control the looks of their children?I refer to for example hair colour, eye colour etc. Ways this can be achieved today is either by adopion or donor insemination, the former is not always possible since you may not pick the race of the kids. For example, what would you think about white parents that want an asian looking kid, or black parents who chose to have a white kid using the above methods?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think adoption agencies would be able to tell and step forward when someone is choosing a child simply based on its race (well, when the child is not of their race). As for artificial insemination, it'd still have its mummy's genes.

I'd want my child to be attractive obviously, but even if I could influence what my child looked like, there'd be no need to change its race.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So everyone can look at how PC you are with your black baby? Lol

Also why Annon?

ReputationRep:
    800 metres.

ReputationRep:
    I myself am only willing to produce offspring with a pure aryan woman of high caliber.Any child less than perfect I will throw into a chasm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    800 metres.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I'd like to think adoption agencies would be able to tell and step forward when someone is choosing a child simply based on its race (well, when the child is not of their race). As for artificial insemination, it'd still have its mummy's genes.

I'd want my child to be attractive obviously
    , but even if I could influence what my child looked like, there'd be no need to change its race.
    Why? Becasue being attractive is an advantage in life, right? Like race can be an advantage or disadvantage? But eyebrows would only be raised at a preference for the latter.

ReputationRep:
    i can understand if they want to adopt/use AI to get a race the same as theirs so the child looks as if it's their child and doesn't feel different to the family eg. black family with white child.

but just for superficial reasons i think it's completely wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Why? Becasue being attractive is an advantage in life, right? Like race can be an advantage or disadvantage? But eyebrows would only be raised at a preference for the latter.
    no i don't think that's really true to be honest. walking into an adoption agency and saying you didn't want a certain kid because they were ugly wouldn't go down too well and they might reconsider your application.

ReputationRep:
    when adopting you cant choose specifics like that! and adopting agencies have very strict rules about who's fit for parenting, and would quickly put you down as a nutjob if the only thing you'd care about was what coordinates the child came from....

when using inseminiation, now thats a diffrent story.
    you can basically play god and decide everything.
    but i couldnt care less, as long as the parents are decent enough

ReputationRep:
    With AI, my understanding is that the donor must bear physical resmebelence to the "father". i.e height, weight, race, eye colour, hair colour. I may be wrong. That just what I learnt in RE 7 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, because then they'd look nice. :dontknow: Your looks can bring advantage or disadvantage dependent on personality and other things. Not every attractive person has a great life.

ReputationRep:
    Being attractive is an advantage in life. There is plenty of research that confirms this as well.

ReputationRep:
    How pathetic... they are what they are.

ReputationRep:
    I only want white children and I will only have white children. I want to preserve my ethnicity, I myself have blonde hair and blue eyes and I want these traits to be passed onto my children, I do not want brown children.

White people are the most beautiful people in the world and I think we have thr right to protect our beautiful aesthetics without being lectured and branded racists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Green And Blue)
    I only want white children and I will only have white children. I want to preserve my ethnicity, I myself have blonde hair and blue eyes and I want these traits to be passed onto my children, I do not want brown children.

White people are the most beautiful people in the world and I think we have thr right to protect our beautiful aesthetics without being lectured and branded racists.
    I'm a black man with a huge schlong. I will find you and impregnate you, sir.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care what race my kids will be.

ReputationRep:
    picking race? Awesome I want to go through the colours of the rainbow..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.