Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in the wrong degree. Rejected medical student :( watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billydodger)
    Dear god you English have no idea about our qualifications. I do NOT have A levels. We do not do A levels. Why quote A level requirements to me?

Theres no retaking either. Retaking would involve me going back to school full time with people 2 years younger than me, to get a better grade no medical school would even consider.
    Jeez, someone was just trying to be helpful, why would people know about Scottish qualifications? You already seem dead set that you're not going to be able to go down the medicine route so I don't know why you're asking. No wonder you got rejected, you have a crappy attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    No tuition fees in Scotland
    Yeah, but it's covered by a loan in England so there's no cost until you are earning over 15k...

ReputationRep:
    1. I actually have no real interest in Maths. I have been in lectures 1 week and actually shudder at the thought of even one more week. Can't see how I'm gonna last 4 years.
    2.Grad med is a LOT more competitive and more costly. My mum can't help me out financially at all.
    3. Access to Med courses are all in England. I simply do not have the money to go there.
    Ok I didn't realise Scotland was as different... your best option IMO is to finish your maths degree...I know its not what you want to do but stick it out and try really hard and you'll succeed in doing well...we all have moments where we wonder why the frick we bother and believe me medicine isn't easy so there will be loads of moments like that to look forward to!
    Medicine full stop is competitive, why give up before you've even tried? Give grad med a shot as it seems your only option and hopefully everything will work out for you. Be positive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan656)
    Yeah, but it's covered by a loan in England so there's no cost until you are earning over 15k...
    It's still an extra cost, whether you pay it now or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Honeyx)
    Give grad med a shot as it seems your only option and hopefully everything will work out for you. Be positive
    I bet most Graduate Medicine schemes won't take Maths as a qualifying degree though.

ReputationRep:
    It's still an extra cost, whether you pay it now or not.
    So you won't resit, you won't possibly move out of Scotland, and you won't change to a science degree and then try for post-grad?

Seems you are placing a lot of barriers in front of yourself for someone desperate to do something.

I was desperate to go to a good uni. Having failed out at A Levels in the past I just sucked it up and went and resat, starting at age 22 with a bunch of 16 year olds. After the first week the awkwardness was gone, and I'm off to Uni in October. You just have to pay the price, ultimately you got a C and it's no-one else's fault....

ReputationRep:
    So you won't resit, you won't possibly move out of Scotland, and you won't change to a science degree and then try for post-grad?

Seems you are placing a lot of barriers in front of yourself for someone desperate to do something.

I was desperate to go to a good uni. Having failed out at A Levels in the past I just sucked it up and went and resat, starting at age 22 with a bunch of 16 year olds. After the first week the awkwardness was gone, and I'm off to Uni in October. You just have to pay the price, ultimately you got a C and it's no-one else's fault....
    You seem to have quoted me, but I am not the OP.

ReputationRep:
    I bet most Graduate Medicine schemes won't take Maths as a qualifying degree though.
    Im pretty sure there are some that do...I know of people who have non medically related first degrees that are now studying medicine and maths isn't totally non-medical. I just can't think right now which ones they are...the best thing would be for OP to e-mail literally every single uni and ask if they would accept a gd maths degree. There really are options for everyone its just a point of researching and being prepared to take a more difficult route...medicine really isn't impossible if your determined enough!

ReputationRep:
    St georges and Southampton say they accept any degree...If it hasn't changed recently!

ReputationRep:
    Switch to biomedical sciences then look at a grad route?

ReputationRep:
    You seem to have quoted me, but I am not the OP.
    My bad. Should have gone to bed a few hours ago fail......

ReputationRep:
    How bad do you want to be in medicine?

All I hear is excuses of why you can't do this and can't do that. If you want it bad you'll do the extra year(s) to gain the qualifications you need or find an alternative route. Medicine is clearly what you want to do, so take the advice on here, find what you want to do and don't look back. Even if you have to repeat a year or spend a year doing a foundation course, it's nothing compared to 50+ years left of your life doing what you WANT to do.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't get in, you have to accept it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sequin)
    Switch to biomedical sciences then look at a grad route?
    Precisely this.

AAC at AH is pretty decent given that load of people don't even take three AHs, but the C in Chem is a bummer for a medicine degree. So if it's impossibe to drop out, retake and reapply you should definitely switch to a life sciences degree. You could even think about trying to transfer to an English or Welsh or Northern Irish uni to do it so that you do it in three years instead of four. Work hard, get at least a 2.1 (or preferably a first) and have a shot at grad entry medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Dear god you English have no idea about our qualifications. I do NOT have A levels. We do not do A levels. Why quote A level requirements to me?

Theres no retaking either. Retaking would involve me going back to school full time with people 2 years younger than me, to get a better grade no medical school would even consider.
    No need to be a ****, they were only trying to help.

I can understand your dilemna. I got rejected from all 4 of my medicine slots with non of them even bothering to interview me. I had the grades, so retaking wasn't an option, and I didn't want to risk a year out applying again to end up in the same mess, so I did engineering.

I spent my first two quite depressed doing a degree I didn't want to do, especially when I was meeting people with lower grades than me doing medicine, and so my motivation for studying was rock bottom, and so I didn't do any work and nearly failed, I was so close to changing degree so many times, but in the end I decided to spend my 3rd year on an industrial placement. I'd earned some money and got away from studying for 12months and my motivation returned, went back to university for my final year, did alright. I'm now even doing a PhD in the subject
    Loads of medicine 'rejects' (sorry) feel the same way. They embark on a new degree so they can remain productive and resent others who get in for less ( I know I did)! See there is life after medicine!

I don't see how, other than initial moving cost, living in England is any more expensive than living in Scotland, unless you are living at home?
    Scottish students don't pay tuition fees, however the rest of the UK has to pay after 15K+ annual pay. Though personally I don't see why this has to be an immediate issue...you can always pay off the debt later. However grad med doesn't allow you to take out a tuition fee loan if you have already done so at undergrad level. ***** I know. :mad:

(Original post by Blah12345678)
    How bad do you want to be in medicine?

All I hear is excuses of why you can't do this and can't do that. If you want it bad you'll do the extra year(s) to gain the qualifications you need or find an alternative route. Medicine is clearly what you want to do, so take the advice on here, find what you want to do and don't look back. Even if you have to repeat a year or spend a year doing a foundation course, it's nothing compared to 50+ years left of your life doing what you WANT to do.
    Absolutely OP is just making excuses. Getting into medicine is hard work and you need to make the effort. If you can't bear to apply out of Scotland you are really limiting your choices so don't be surprised if you fail. Grad med is even tougher I should know :rolleyes:!

Why the hell did you choose to study Maths when you say you love Medicine, I at least went for the next best thing in my eyes! I guess if you hate Maths so much transfer for a life sciences related subject. Medical schools may be unhappy if you drop out of maths so you need to check with their admissions.

I do think grad med is the most straight forward option though not necessarily the easiest.

ReputationRep:

I hope you ******* fail now tbh.

ReputationRep:
    wow good luck with life with that attitude.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.