Turn on thread page Beta

Terrible Social Anxiety watch

ReputationRep:
    I cannot take this anymore. Almost every social event I'm invited to, I cannot attend due to myself!

I've been seeing a therapist for around 4/5 years now and am on the antidepressant Sertaline (meant to help with social anxiety too) and though I had gotten a bit better - I went to lasertag once around 3/4 months ago, I can't do it again. I tried to go again a couple of months ago and I had the WORST panic attack ever before getting on the train. It was so embarassing and scary it was unbelieveable, and in the end I couldn't go. I cried for ages... I just feel like SUCH a total loser I'm ******* 16 for god sake! I just feel like I take one step forward and 2 back.

I don't feel that I'm making any progress anymore at all. My therapist never seems to do anything with me, just asks how my weeks/month has been and we talk about whatever issues I've had and it just seems to repeat each time I see her. After all this time, I should be getting better... not worse again.

I feel so pathetic, I can't even travel half an hour on the train with my friends to go and see a movie. And I don't even know why not! When I rack my brain, I find no specific thing that frightens me about these social situations, but even still it seems the physical reaction to these situations/possible situations are independant. I swear even when I'm not thinking of them I get horrid pains in my stomach, increased heart rate, quick breathing etc.

I'm totally lost. I just feel like crying. I'm wasting my life

ReputationRep:
    Just one question: what are you going to do about it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    New therapist. Maybe start off slow with the social events something small. Going to the park with a freind or two and move up grdually going as you feel comftable

ReputationRep:
    I think you should write a list of all your worst social nightmares, and put them in order of how much they make you anxious.

Then post them here.

ReputationRep:
    overcome your own mind and just force yourself to do these things, as much as you don't want to. i really can't think of anything else you can do but DO tbh

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel I'm in the same situation , I'm on prozac though , I thought I was getting better but I can slowly feel myself getting worse

ReputationRep:
    New therapist.

New medication, if your current one isn't working as well as you thought it would.

ReputationRep:
    Force yourself. That's the only way you can make it through, if not, open this up to your family or friends that you can trust and then get a new therapist. Get the best one.
    Good luck. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Try this technique (trust me it works).

Invent a social anxiety you don't have.

Force yourself to be anxious about something you're not anxious at all about.

For example, become anxious about whether or not you are the most anxious person you know. If you're not the most anxious person you know then there's obviously a lot more stuff out there to be worried about that you're not worried about yet. If you are the most anxious person you know then you know there isn't much more for you to be worried about as you're worried about everything. That knowledge should calm you down.

Or, become worried about people who wear green shoes or have earrings.

ReputationRep:
    Are you just really shy or do you have a diagnosable problem that you have to take medication for?

I would consider myself quite shy, I don't just go up and talk to strangers and try not to be the centre of attention too often, however I'm not afraid to speak my mind if I have something to say.

Are you afraid of speaking to strangers? That they might judge you? Or are you just scared of being near strangers?

I'm 16 as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LonelySoul193)
    I cannot take this anymore. Almost every social event I'm invited to, I cannot attend due to myself!

I've been seeing a therapist for around 4/5 years now and am on the antidepressant Sertaline (meant to help with social anxiety too) and though I had gotten a bit better - I went to lasertag once around 3/4 months ago, I can't do it again. I tried to go again a couple of months ago and I had the WORST panic attack ever before getting on the train. It was so embarassing and scary it was unbelieveable, and in the end I couldn't go. I cried for ages... I just feel like SUCH a total loser I'm ******* 16 for god sake! I just feel like I take one step forward and 2 back.

I don't feel that I'm making any progress anymore at all. My therapist never seems to do anything with me, just asks how my weeks/month has been and we talk about whatever issues I've had and it just seems to repeat each time I see her. After all this time, I should be getting better... not worse again.

I feel so pathetic, I can't even travel half an hour on the train with my friends to go and see a movie. And I don't even know why not! When I rack my brain, I find no specific thing that frightens me about these social situations, but even still it seems the physical reaction to these situations/possible situations are independant. I swear even when I'm not thinking of them I get horrid pains in my stomach, increased heart rate, quick breathing etc.

I'm totally lost. I just feel like crying. I'm wasting my life
    I totally and UTTERLY understand you.
    I suffered from this, to the point of agoraphobia at one stage, for about 3 years. Now I'm almost completely recovered, but I do have the occasional panic attack.
    I can only tell you what helped me, and how I got out of it. I only recently came off Sertraline myself, and it helped me a lot, but it's not the be all and end all. As much as my psychologist helped me- she got me from not being able to leave my bedroom to being able to get trains to unknown cities etc, again, I don't think this is the be all and end all either. I assume you've been having cognitive behavioural therapy? This helped me a lot. And just having someone to talk to who helps you understand why you're feeling the way you do.
    Panic attacks are really the most horrible things, I know. It sounds like you have generalised anxiety rather than social anxiety, or maybe even agoraphobia (fear of having a panic attack in a place you cannot escape), but I'm not a psychologist (yet ).
    Two things that really helped me were Bach's rescue remedy, and Kalms. It sounds silly, because they are just herbal remedies, but for me they were great. I still take some Kalms with me if I'm going on a long journey. Learning special ways to breathe can also be amazingly helpful. So with these things combined, you have a little "panic attack toolbox".
    Whatever you do, don't give up on going out there and doing things you want to do. At first, don't do anything alone, always take along someone you trust, take your "toolbox" with you, and do small things like going on a short bus journey, going bowling etc, building up slowly until you do things out of town and take trains.
    Persist with the sertraline and with the CBT, because they really DO help. But gradually integrate the above steps into your life as well. Whatever you do, don't let yourself become afraid of going outside, and then gradually so afraid all you can do is lie in bed. I've been there.
    And please don't be ashamed because you're "16 for gods sake". I'm 19 on the 28th and I'm only just coming out of this and getting off the medication.
    And I'm starting uni on friday, when at one point I didn't think I'd be able to finish my GCSEs at school
    I hope this helps you in some way, and good luck x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liyah)
    I know exactly how you feel I'm in the same situation , I'm on prozac though , I thought I was getting better but I can slowly feel myself getting worse
    I was put on Prozac for anxiety too. It made me VERY ill. It might not be suitable for you so make sure you tell your doctor how you feel. Sertraline made me feel a whole lot better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    I was put on Prozac for anxiety too. It made me VERY ill. It might not be suitable for you so make sure you tell your doctor how you feel. Sertraline made me feel a whole lot better.
    Yh i've felt a bit ill on it , I think il mention sertraline to my psychologist

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Social anxiety can be very crippling in that sense, I wish more people would take it seriously and realise how difficult it can be for someone struggling with it. Don't feel ashamed, we all have issues, and we all have to work through them. You can get back on your feet, just think about your succesful time at lasertag and focus on it - did anything bad happen like death?, did your fears come true?, did you feel beytter for going? was it really worth stressing over?. When you get things into perspective you realise that really it is likely that nothing bad will happen and even if it does you will be able to cope with it and it wasn't such a big deal afterall. You can cope and you do have that strength so don't give up and try to be patient. If you have supportive friends and family, seek their help with this, and ask them to accompany you to new places untill you feel fully comfortable.

Have you tried breathing techniques? Try those. Rapid and shallow breathing can make anxiety worse so make a conscious effort to breathe deeply.

Also try changing your diet, cut out the simple carbohydrates that cause low blood sugar levels which make excess adrenaline rush out increasing your anxiety. Go on a low sugar, high protein diet and try a natural supplement called rhodolia rosea that inhibits the break down of serotonin.

Good luck. I will be praying for your healing.

(Original post by missaphrodite)
    My doctor tried to put me on Prozac for hand tremor. I told him that it wasn't anxiety related but guess he didn't believe me. I ripped up the prescription.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou missaphrodite by the way and goodluck op

ReputationRep:
    Walk around with a bowl of fruit on your head. It won't solve your anxiety problem but when your friends need a snack, they can take a banana out of your hat.

ReputationRep:
    All I can say OP is that I have SA too and your life is much, much better than mine in comparison. Consider yourself lucky.

ReputationRep:
    What you got to do is stop caring what people think, that's why you got the terrible social anxiety right- because you fear that people are judgeing you or what they are thinking about you. The universe is estimated to be 180 billion light-years big and is still expanding- do these people really matter when you think about that.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sceptical about this "social anxiety" idea.
    Yes it sounds like anxiety, but surely GAD or agoraphobia would be more fitting.
    OP, could you take a train without a panic attack if there was no one else sitting on it?

In my experience, being labelled with something generally doesn't help you.
    As soon as I began to think of myself as a normal person, just like everyone else, I recovered much faster. After all, if you tell yourself you have social anxiety, you're going to act socially anxious. It's a big issue with diagnosing psychological problems.

(My god I'm such a psychology geek.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.