Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you agree that all social problems are caused by ugliness? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Haha, of course not. Plenty of less than amazing looking people have great social lives, plenty of perfectly good looking people are a total mess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love.Angel.Music.Baby)
    sadly, I think so.

Social awkwardness stems from a lack of confidence. I believe confidence comes from being accepted by people, which is more likely to happen if you're attractive.

Of course there are exceptions to this.
    You could say that I'm socially awkward and lack confidence, but other people seem to think I'm good looking. I don't think I'm good looking but I know I'm not ugly. I'm also generally very shy, and people tell me I look down all the time

Quite a while ago I accepted that I am fugly. That's not just me being a self conscious teen, I have horrid teeth, big ears, big nose, am skinny, fat lips, big chin, acne, been bullied, never told otherwise and I had hardly any social life.

However, when I got to university I decided to pretend to act confidently which eventually I just did all the time and I'm now happier and have more friends than ever.

Admittedly I know I'm not truly confident and I still have a ton of social anxieties deep down but I just ignore those feelings because I know they are useless to think about. Psychologists would probably have a field day with all my repressed fears and issues I pretend don't exist :P

tldr: Pretend you don't look like you do, fake confidence, and repress those fears!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Love.Angel.Music.Baby)
    sadly, I think so.

Social awkwardness stems from a lack of confidence. I believe confidence comes from being accepted by people, which is more likely to happen if you're attractive.

Of course there are exceptions to this.
    Sadly agree with this.
    "Popular" people are usually deemed quite attractive.

ReputationRep:
    i'm so baffled at how much importance is placed upon looks when it comes to sociability (esp on tsr).. how are people not more self conscious about their personality?! whether you're hot or not, your personality is going to determine how well you fit in socially imo

ReputationRep:
    The most attractive girl in my school was the most awkward and shy person I've ever met. She actually cried when we had to do a presentation and wouldn't look directly at anyone or talk to anyone except her small group of friends.
    I've met so many people like this. One of the cutest guys in my class last year was so shy as well. He seemed really unconfident even though half the class fancied him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdWishes)
    Sadly agree with this.
    "Popular" people are usually deemed quite attractive.
    Sadly I agree, by the way beautiful profile pic

ReputationRep:
    No.
    But I think the majority of social problems are caused by being very socially different. And 'ugliness' can fall under that category I guess.

ReputationRep:
    i totally disagree. i was bullied at school cos i was real shy, studied loads but i went on to become a model. definately it comes down to your confidence and how you grow up. i still get shy now somethines due to the bullies at school. bullies are sh*

(Original post by arabie)
    how are people not more self conscious about their personality?!
    Because nobody wants to have sex with a personality.

And that's not a joke. I have loads of friends (most are girls and I'm a guy), have a very friendly personality, am outgoing, can act confidently, but I am still a virgin at 20 because they all say "You're like a brother to me" and "I love you in a platonic way". Which can be translated to "I like you, but you're too ugly to date".

ReputationRep:
    I sort of agree, I'm really ugly and I can't talk in front of people unless I know them at all. Even if I know them if they aren't the sort of people I'm comfortable with I still won't talk.
    Unless I have a couple of drinks in me.

ReputationRep:
    Tough one this. I would say it's dependant on behavior, attitude and wealth more than looks. I know quite a few people who are like back ends of binlids yet are still popular, and more than that, pull girls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Because nobody wants to have sex with a personality.

And that's not a joke. I have loads of friends (most are girls and I'm a guy), have a very friendly personality, am outgoing, can act confidently, but I am still a virgin at 20 because they all say "You're like a brother to me" and "I love you in a platonic way". Which can be translated to "I like you, but you're too ugly to date".
    lol but disregarding sex right now, what do looks alone do in social situations? you can't just be a pretty ornament but contribute nothing to conversation... it's a shame people don't devote half as much thought on how they can be more interesting/more funny/etc, i would much rather chill with a funny charmer than someone who only has looks going for them personally

put sex into it though, maybe you're just boring or haven't clicked with your kinda person yet or something else - because i've seen butters people with partners.

ReputationRep:
    It's stupid to think that way but I do. I have a lot of social problems I think. I really have no friends and can't interact with others to save my life.

So I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    Not really. There are quite a few girls and guys who think they're the bees knees, when they really aren't, some think they are very good-looking, in reality they aren't, but they don't fail socially.

Social failure comes from not being confident about yourself, not thinking you're good enough, too shy etc plus a person is their own biggest critic, so most people see only the flaws they have on their face, not the good parts.

ReputationRep:
    If an ugly person hates themselves it will cause social problems due to lack of confidence. They are more likely to get picked on because the way they act reflects how they view themselves, they may view themselves as worthless so if someone decided to shout abuse at them they wouldn't shout back, they would probably take what they said as true and play the victim causing social isolation.

Amen!

ReputationRep:
    I've found that ugliness is nature's way of warding you off something, most ugly people turn out to be ***** or freaks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    I've found that ugliness is nature's way of warding you off something, most ugly people turn out to be ***** or freaks.
    :eek: I'm pretty ugly, what do you mean by this??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flying Scotsman)
    :eek: I'm pretty ugly, what do you mean by this??
    I mean like proper munter-style ugly, have you seen Jeremy Kyle? They'd be idiots even if they were gorgeous!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.