Turn on thread page Beta

I met a guy online, he lives in Germany... watch

Announcements

OK here goes...

Basically i'm a gay guy, not out but hope to be in a couple of months. I haven't ever been in a relationship, and will be 20 very soon.

I met a guy online a couple of weeks ago, trouble is he's in Germany and lives there. We talked a lot and even had our webcams on and found we had a lot in common.

A few days later I leave him a message saying hi and that i'd like to talk to him again. I find him online couple days later, and he says my message was really sweet. We talk a bit more but he says he can't stay long because he's meeting a friend, then at some point he says "Why can't we be together?". I replied with something like "Maybe we can". Then he says he has to go as his friend arrived, but he said he'd think of me. We talked a very brief time the other day too.

My questions are.. do you think this could work as a relationship? He's also mentioned he never wants to come out to his family, which makes it a lot harder. I think he's a couple years older than me, and he's in a full time job.

I really like him and would like to go to Germany near Christmas to meet him and see how things go. I just don't know how to ask him without scaring him away, because he sounds really uncomfortable about sharing his sexuality with his family.

Please advise! Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    It will never work, save yourself the trouble, please.

ReputationRep:
    Give it a shot! You never know, until you try!

ReputationRep:
    Long distance relationships are hard enough when you live in different cities in the same country.

But living in different cities in different countries - forget it.

But try if you really want. Don't say I didn't warn you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Long distance relationships are hard enough when you live in different cities in the same country.

Yup, i agree!

ReputationRep:
    You deserve to be happy. Not everyone finds someone you can really get along with and has a lot in common with you. You should both give it a try and see where this could lead...as unusual as your situation is, i'd really like to see happy couples.

ReputationRep:
    It could work if both people are really committed. Best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    How long have you known this person? :s... maybe you should get to know him more? otherwise, go for it and see what happens. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)

i9m drunk and ur sig is ******* me up :rofl:

but yeah OP don't let urself get attached 99% it wont come to anything

ReputationRep:
    Germany's not exactly far, why not go and see what happens? I do think it'll be difficult to maintain a proper relationship but there's nothing to stop you visiting for occasional fun and if it does work out as more then great.

ReputationRep:
    why not try ?
    Germany is fairly close, it's only a couple of hours on the plane.
    If you don't try then you will never know.

Thanks everyone for your responses, they're as mixed as I am about this situation. Talking to him again before and was talking about this festival he enjoyed, and he said we'll go there together one day. I think i'll just carry on talking to him for now, maybe after a few weeks i'll ask him how he feels. Just wish he lived here

ReputationRep:
    Do not bother. Especially since you're only 20 years old, just get out there and meet someone who you can actually see for real.

Getting into a long distance relationship is something you should avoid if at all possible, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously OP? Why are you even considering this, is it because you think you can't get another guy. He lives in Germany, he's not going to 'come out' to his family :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    He's going to eat you. And not in a good way. =/

ReputationRep:
    oktoberfest? if it doesn't work out, at least you'll have had a gd time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    He's going to eat you. And not in a good way. =/
    I immediately thought of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQgRrcnqxA

:p:

An OP, I think you need to be very careful if you decide to go see him in Germany.

I know you're all being realistic. But there's something that attracts me to him, I just think that we have so much in common, and I really like him so far, why let it all go to waste?

And yes it was Oktoberfest :P

Anyway i'm starting my 2nd year at uni and actually looking forward to coming out very soon, so maybe i'll meet someone else. I'll just see how things go.

ReputationRep:
    Getting your knobs out on webcam was "finding you had something in common"? Interesting.

(Original post by in2deep)
    x
    You had a similar experience when you went to meet that man from Venezuela, share it with the OP.

ReputationRep:
    I know where you are coming from OP, a while back I meant a man from Venezuela who had 76 homosexual relationships so far, all of which he started online. He also had an incredible fetish for German men but always found out that they were very insecure about their sexuality and always hide it from their parents. He did once go to Germany to meet a certain fellow from the internet and he ended up being locked in a dungeon in Stuttgart for about 6 weeks being anally molested with dead animals. He did enjoy it though but I doubt a young las like you would. :yes:

What ever you do, take lube :yy:

(Original post by thejonsmith)
    x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.