Turn on thread page Beta

Why is the method in slaughtering Halal meat labelled "cruel" by a lot of people? watch

ReputationRep:
    I never really knew what made halal meat different from normal meat, and I just looked it up here http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/g...al-meat-060979

and to me that doesn't sound cruel, so why the bad rep? even if it's not unconscious it's going to be an instant death with the throat slitting.. and once it's dead it's dead so why does it matter that it's hung upside down after?

ReputationRep:
    People love to complain especially when its got anything to do with Islam? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Word of warning to everyone: Don't watch the following if you can't handle animal cruelty.

But it's a decent lesson in the traditions of Islam if you do.

NB
    The first one, where it's stunned into a painless, unconscious state is the Western method. The following methods, where its throat is torn open whilst its conscious and in a state of panic is halal.

Allahu akbar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    I never really knew what made halal meat different from normal meat, and I just looked it up here http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/g...al-meat-060979

and to me that doesn't sound cruel, so why the bad rep? even if it's not unconscious it's going to be an instant death with the throat slitting.. and once it's dead it's dead so why does it matter that it's hung upside down after?
    wtf? Since when was bleeding to death instant?

ReputationRep:
    It's not very nice that it's getting hung upside down whilst still alive. Even if it is about to die, it's still a lot of stress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Word of warning: Don't watch the following if you can't handle animal cruelty.

thanks but i don't have the stomach to watch the slaughter of any animal.. unless it's hunted or something from the wild.

ReputationRep:
    Some people who are against Halal slaughter are possibly THE biggest hypocrites ever, considering they don't really actually care how it's killed they tend to be the biggest meat eaters, they just like to jump on anti-Islam bandwagon

ReputationRep:

They suddenly care because it's Muslims. It's very hypocritical when you consider the treatment of cattle and chicken which isn't free range.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    wtf? Since when is bleeding to death instant?
    if your throat is slit you're gonna die instantly. i could understand if they stabbed the chicken and then let it bleed to death but you die when your throat is cut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Word of warning to everyone: Don't watch the following if you can't handle animal cruelty.

Allahu akbar.
    To be perfectly honest, I don't see why people who eat meat and therefore apparently have no problems with this should have a problem with halal meat. And if you do have an issue with animal slaughter in general, there are much bigger fish to fry than halal methods of slaughter.

ReputationRep:
    Because we hate the mussers and we don't want them to eat food

ReputationRep:
    if your throat is slit you're gonna die instantly. i could understand if they stabbed the chicken and then let it bleed to death but you die when your throat is cut.
    Medical knowledge fail (not taking the piss out of you). You die quickly but not instantly. First you can suffer the pain of having your throat slit and THEN you can die from too much blood loss. It's just the same as cutting your wrists, with more blood, and more PAIN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lifesharker)
    To be perfectly honest, I don't see why people who eat meat and therefore apparently have no problems with this should have a problem with halal meat. And if you do have an issue with animal slaughter in general, there are much bigger fish to fry than halal methods of slaughter.
    If we're going to treat them to some unpleasantries, what's the harm in condemning them to a little bit more unnecessary torture whilst we're at it? That's your logic?

Are you sane?

Nobody's saying slaughterhouses are pleasant, yet most want to minimise the harm. You don't seem to understand this.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:

Not true. There are many people who have survived having their throat cut because the bleeding was slowed down enough to get them to hospital in time. Please don't go around spreading false knowledge.

I'm off to bed now if you quote me I'll reply tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen several halal slaughters and you're right. After its throat is cut there's a pause, then about 3-5 seconds of panic then it eyes go droopy and it dies. When blood pours out its limbs thrash about, stop (when it dies) and then thrash about again. With mechanical slaughter the animal still feels the pain but it is paralysed so you can't see it move as much. In any case, when the blood pressure in the head drops considerably, i.e. when its throat is cut the brain is deprived of oxygen so it is a little ridiculous to think it can function enough to feel pain for more than a few seconds.

ReputationRep:
    thanks but i don't have the stomach to watch the slaughter of any animal.. unless it's hunted or something from the wild.
    Do you eat meat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sideways_gun)
    Medical knowledge fail (not taking the piss out of you). You die quickly but not instantly. First you can suffer the pain of having your throat slit and THEN you can die from too much blood loss. It's just the same as cutting your wrists, with more blood, and more PAIN.
    Seeing as they use a very sharp knife both the carotid artery and jugular would be slit so the death would be practically instantaneous with hardly enough time to feel pain, so even if they did it'd be for like 1 millisecond. Plus the shock would probably stop the pain being felt. Like if you get punched in the face you don't feel the pain until like 5 seconds after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilyful)
    Do you eat meat?

Yeah but I don't really want to see it get killed, because I doubt I'd be able to eat a sunday roast ever again.

ReputationRep:
    People that EAT MEAT and complain about the way Halal meat is butchered shouldn't really be taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    :confused:

Not true. There are many people who have survived having their throat cut because the bleeding was slowed down enough to get them to hospital in time. Please don't go around spreading false knowledge.

I'm off to bed now if you quote me I'll reply tomorrow.
    see post above this one. they have to use v sharp knife according to the website (and our laws on slaughter of meat would prob require them to aswell, but that's just a guess)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.