Turn on thread page Beta

recently become self suported now i can get the grant watch

ReputationRep:
    as above last year my mother did the papers as normal i got loan and grant this year she has basicaly dis-owned me, now i need 3years p45s or p60s to become self supported :woo: i have just started a part time job to help but its ridiculous, with support i got paid more WTF

rant over

anybody else had similar or know anyways around it ?

ReputationRep:
    You can get independant status due to estrangement - but you need some proof. The best would be a letter from a social worker, but that isn't always possible. Go and see a student advisor at the uni, they will help you collect all the evidence you can and send it off.

I had to send a letter from my grandmother explaining the situation, a letter from my school, any paychecks i had and proof of any benefits i had been on.

There isn't really a set criteria for proving estrangement so it can be quite difficult, but it is definitely possible. Go and see an advisor.

ReputationRep:
    You've got no chance.

ReputationRep:
    i believe you have to be independent for three years before you are considered as estranged. considering they assessed your mum's papers last year, i can imagine this being even more difficult for you.

you need official letters. your application won't be 'conventional' so their website will be of limited assistance, i would seriously call them up and ask. include as many official letters (preferably letter headed) as you can detailing the situation- from council letters, to court documents, or benefit entitlement letters. write a covering letter to inform them of the situation.

but definitely call them up.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah - I agree with
    (Original post by ohaidani)
    Ohaidani
    I think you have to self-supported for three years. I'd lived away from home for two years when I first went to Uni but I don't recieve any additional support.

ReputationRep:
    Estrangement is a different case - being self supported for 3 years is not estrangement.

At the start of my course, i sent in my mothers details as i had before on a previous application. I then changed this to independant status due to estrangement - i did not have 3 years worth of paychecks or a letter from a social worker. It is possible, although as i said it is not easy.

If there is no hope of reconciliation, go and see a student advisor at the uni, they know the rules better than random people on an internet forum and will be able to give you much more reliable advice.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to have been estranged for a year though - you can't just have a bust up a month before the start of uni and become independent. So you're probably ****** this year, but may be able to get extra help next year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.