Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure all of you are very hard working and hand everything in on time... :p: but just :fyi:

The policy on late coursework submission has changed this year. Whereas in previous years, handing in coursework late would attract a a 10% penalty per week for 2 weeks, resulting in failure if it's 2 weeks late or more; this has now changed.

The university is taking a zero tolerance policy on handing in coursework late. Unless you have successfully got an extension (due to legitimate mitigating circumstances) or a deferral, if you hand in work late, you will score 0% for that coursework.

(More info on CUOnline under the article title: Make the Date, don't be late; if its after the date it's too late!)

Bit harsh, I think :erm: but I can understand why they've done it. :yes:

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    :zomg:

During my time at Kent it was always a zero tolerance policy, I'd hand stuff in a few days early to avoid the queues/have a free weekend :awesome:

*sneaks back out of the subforum* :ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    ****, and I thought University of Iceland was harsh with a 5% decrease per day.

Well, it will certainly make people get their work in on time, that's for sure, but damn, that's harsh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truered)
    :zomg:

During my time at Kent it was always a zero tolerance policy, I'd hand stuff in a few days early to avoid the queues/have a free weekend :awesome:

*sneaks back out of the subforum* :ninjagirl:
    I think that's the best advice you could give. :yep: Just arbitrarily bring forward the deadline by 3 or 4 days and get it handed in by that date.

ReputationRep:
    Mad Vlad could you take a look at my post here? You're probably in the best position to help. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Must say I think this is a bit harsh. Didn't affect me last year though, so hopefully it doesn't this year either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulZ)
    Mad Vlad could you take a look at my post here? You're probably in the best position to help. Thanks.
    Can't help on that, I'm afraid. I don't study Computer Science. I'd imagine it'd be C++, Java etc. though.

ReputationRep:
    Oh you lot cover C++ ; I'm just trying to figure out which ones I need to play with.

Thanks' will take a primer on both

ReputationRep:
    On the face of it it's gone from excessively lenient to excessively harsh...

I expect they realised that people were seeing it as an trade, providing the slacker reckons they can improve their assignment by >10% worth of marks in a week, taking the 10% penalty for one week's lateness is rational. Providing they weren't so slack as to not bother reading the regulations on late work at all.

Be interesting to compare the number of late submissions at 10% per week with Iceland at 5% per day cos I reckon that'd 5% could be quite an appealing offer too despite looking 2.5 times harsher.

Fwiw at Derby you're capped at a minimum pass for the first week late then it's a fail (no submission) after that.
    last year it didn't matter if you failed with a rubbish submission or failed with no submission at all but this year you'll need to have something handed in by 1 week after deadline to be in with a chance of being offered a retry.
    I think Derby's system is about right, very little advantage to gaming the system but if you're upto 1 week late it's hopefully not so severe that stressed out students start jumping under buses.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wow, glad you told me. I never hand coursework in late, but this is probably buried in the depths of my new handbook - I haven't been told about it (though I guess I may do when I get more info on courseworks).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Wow, glad you told me. I never hand coursework in late, but this is probably buried in the depths of my new handbook - I haven't been told about it (though I guess I may do when I get more info on courseworks).
    (Is there a pluralized form of "coursework" ? )

ReputationRep:
    It's always been zero tolerance in my university ..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by loulZ)
    I actually have no idea. I usually refer to them as pieces of coursework, but courseworks is OK I guess. English is an evolving language so we can make it up, whatever sounds better :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just reminds me a bit of people that say "staffs" or "sheeps".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loulZ)
    No there isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    No problem. I was quite surprised that it's not plastered all over CUOnline, as the "Make your mark" campaign was.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    No problem. I was quite surprised that it's not plastered all over CUOnline, as the "Make your mark" campaign was.
    It's on the front page, but there isn't stuff around the uni (I believe there was for Make Your Mark).

Incidentally, I got an admin based talk this morning (so dull for people who did their undergrad at Coventry!) which mentioned it. Zero tolerance! I wish I could see the effects it has.

(Original post by Hylean)
    ****, and I thought University of Iceland was harsh with a 5% decrease per day.
    Why the hell are you in the University of Iceland? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    I'm sure all of you are very hard working and hand everything in on time... :p: but just :fyi:

The policy on late coursework submission has changed this year. Whereas in previous years, handing in coursework late would attract a a 10% penalty per week for 2 weeks, resulting in failure if it's 2 weeks late or more; this has now changed.

The university is taking a zero tolerance policy on handing in coursework late. Unless you have successfully got an extension (due to legitimate mitigating circumstances) or a deferral, if you hand in work late, you will score 0% for that coursework.

(More info on CUOnline under the article title: Make the Date, don't be late; if its after the date it's too late!)

Bit harsh, I think :erm: but I can understand why they've done it. :yes:

What do you think?
    It's about time. Now they just need to crack down on attendance. I was talking to a tutor last year who said that they regularly received emails containing coursework from people they didn't even know. I saw people in the beginning of the first term who I never saw again until May exam time. They do make some threats of contacting the SLC if you miss so many lectures in a row but it's not true. Kind of a shame; they're taking up places at University for people who actually want to learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsystoleUK)
    It's about time. Now they just need to crack down on attendance. I was talking to a tutor last year who said that they regularly received emails containing coursework from people they didn't even know. I saw people in the beginning of the first term who I never saw again until May exam time. They do make some threats of contacting the SLC if you miss so many lectures in a row but it's not true. Kind of a shame; they're taking up places at University for people who actually want to learn.
    hahahaha, well I guess some already have experience or would rather study on their own?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.