Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I have a question re: A-Levels that I haven't been able to find online, so am asking for any advice/help here with my predicament:

For various reasons (I do not want to make excuses), I got ABCad for my first batch of A/AS-Levels. I didn't get into my medicine course that offered me a place so I took a year off to figure out what I wanted to do with my life; I took a full A-level in business studies over the course of the year while working to save money and got a B. So, technically, my top three grades would be ABB, which is what a lot of firms have been asking for for TCs. But when they say this, do they assume that these grades will be achieved in the same year? I have noticed the application forms will request you specify the date the grade was achieved, so will I be auto-filtered at ABC (the grades I got in 2006) or ABB (2/3 2006, 1/3 2007) ?

Hope that makes sense!

Also I am hovering around a First going into my final year at Uni at Cass Business School and have an academic scholarship for first year grades.

P.S. do I mention my AS grade "D" in Critical Thinking my college made everyone take with 30 minutes tuition per week? Or does having a D just look bad?

ReputationRep:
    So, technically, my top three grades would be ABB, which is what a lot of firms have been asking for for TCs.
    I think that's the bare minimum for many firms in the City.

do I mention my AS grade "D" in Critical Thinking
    If it appears on a separate certificate to your other A levels, you could perhaps omit it, as no one takes it too seriously. If it is on a shared certificate this could be dangerous, as firms often ask to see your certificates at interview/after offer.

Sorry can't answer your question on first/second sitting. Probably would need a firm insider to do so and the answer probably varies from firm to firm.

The borderline first sounds much more encouraging though.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    I was/is in a similar boat.

For whatever reason (none of them extenuating!) I also got ABB at A-Level (predicted 3A's, strong academics otherwise).

Thankfully my first choice Uni still allowed me in (didn't even have to ring them!) and now I have a VS with a magic circle firm on the back of decent Uni grades.

So I'd say go for it, but be warned you have a somewhat extra burden compared to other candidates. If you think you can overcome that through strong uni grades (which you have) and good interviews, then good luck to you.

I must admit I still hate 17/18 year old me for not making sure of my A-Level grades, and making life a bit easier for me now. Nothing more frustrating than arguably less 'bright' candidates stroll ahead of you thanks to A-Levels.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.