The Student Room Group

Mphil thesis and phd

Hi, I'm just about to start a one year Mphil which has an optional thesis to replace one of four papers. I'm interested in applying for a phd, and if I havent chosen to do a thesis for the mphil will this mean that i cant continue to a phd, or at least undermine my chances?The programme is only 9 months so i'd rather not do a thesis as long as it isnt going to ruin my chances for after. Thanks!
Reply 1
If the thought of a short MPhil thesis puts you off, are you quite sure you want to do a PhD?:erm: And no, I don't expect it would ruin your chances.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I've just finished my first year of my PhD, and to be allowed to progress to the second year we had to write a transfer report. This transfer report is basically the same as a MPhil thesis, this means that if the university thinks you are useless they can release you after 1 year and give you a MPhil for your troubles.

Unless you go to Cambridge, an MPhil is a degree that is normally obtained by someone who didn't finish a PhD? However if you are doing it a normal masters, assuming you do alright in it, you should be highly qualified to start a PhD, which ever method you used.
Reply 3
ReddDraggon
Unless you go to Cambridge, an MPhil is a degree that is normally obtained by someone who didn't finish a PhD?

There are many MPhil programmes to be found outside of Cambridge.
Reply 4
hobnob
If the thought of a short MPhil thesis puts you off, are you quite sure you want to do a PhD?QUOTE]

I'm not so much out off by the thought of writing a thesis in itself-i've just written one jsut as long and enjoyed it for my undergrad. its just that the course itself is very intense and doesn't make much allowance for the time it would take to research and write a good one, and over the past few years the marks awarded for theses have been lower on average than those awarded for taught modules. So while I would probably enjoy writing one, I'm trying to balance my chances of getting as high a mark as possible overall, which is just as crucial for getting accepted for a phd, against looking as though i wasnt interested in reasearch.
shiny
There are many MPhil programmes to be found outside of Cambridge.

I often wonder what the point of an MPhil is outside its use in Cambridge to denote a 1 year programme. Why do something that takes 2/3 the time of a PhD but probably has less than 1/3 the worth of one?
Reply 6
ChemistBoy
I often wonder what the point of an MPhil is outside its use in Cambridge to denote a 1 year programme. Why do something that takes 2/3 the time of a PhD but probably has less than 1/3 the worth of one?

There are quite a lot of 12 month MPhil's (probably replacing the old MSc by Research) around now outside of Cambridge particularly in the sciences and engineering. The two-year format tends to be favoured by the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and there are a number of reasons why that format is still favourable in these subjects -- (lack of) funding and the 1+3 format being two.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending