Turn on thread page Beta

Mature students relationships watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm looking for peoples opinions, I'm a mature student 26 soon to be 27 and I have just started an undergraduate degree. I'm just wondering what people think about relationships with girls on my course or at uni in general.
    I've had a little bit of interest so far but I am anxious not to be seen as some sort of dirty old man so I have sort of pretended not to notice. Is going out with women who are 18 or 19 going to look weird and is it best to just ignore it and hope to meet someone a bit older.

J

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's weird. 35+ then it might get frowned upon.

So I guess its a non-issue then

ReputationRep:
    Look at it like this OP, you're going to be spending allot of time associating with these 18-19 year olds.

Whether you take a vow of celibacy is your choice.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's nothing wrong with it. Some ladies at uni would mostly prefer a mature guy your age anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, should be fine. You're all adults and while some of the girls might think you're a bit old for them, I think quite a few will be more than willing to give it a go if you tick other boxes for them!

I've got a 30 year old friend and a 27 year old friend and they both have very sexy younger partners that they are very much in love with.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds ok to me. The age difference isnt that much.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is 26 (not at uni) and I am 20, so to be honest there wouldn't be a problem. Although you are classed as a "mature" student, you're not "old".

Friends wise however, I find that you can be friends with anyone. I am extremely good friends with a woman in her 40s who helped me through my first year, is always friendly when I need a chat, and we go for coffee together a lot. It's all about whether you're mature enough to have conversaitons with older people/younger people. Age is just a number.

ReputationRep:
    Technically speaking im classed as a mature student - Im 23..... I do understand your view though, when i go Uni next year the girls will be my sisters age, a little bit wierd but hey when in rome and all that jazz!

ReputationRep:
    I'm slowly coming round to thinking it should be ok, and it seems most guys my age would kill to be in this situation. And since everyone thinks its not that big a gap I'm just gonna roll with it and see what happens.

It's not so fun when it's the other way around - I'm a 28 year old female and it is SLIM pickings

ReputationRep:
    Dude, don't worry about it. If you got laid before you came to uni, you're still gonna get laid, and yeah, some of the girls will be 18 or 19 - and as long as you're not a total prick, you'll avoid the 'dirty old man' tag.

I was 26 when I started my u/g and met my girlfriend towards the end of my first year. We joked that I'd dump her as soon as she stopped being a teenager (:P) but we live together now, four years later. The age thing really isn't an issue. Have fun!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 33 and currently seeing (whatever that means heh) a 21 year old (tho she was 20 when we started). None of her friends seem to care about the age difference, nor she. In fact women in general don't seem bothered by it. If you get any opposition it's more likely to come from disgruntled 18 year old men on the course I would think.

It's really nice to see how open and accepting people are honestly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's not so fun when it's the other way around - I'm a 28 year old female and it is SLIM pickings
    Why is it ''slim pickings''??- because the blokes on the course arent interested in you?? Or because you arent interested in dating a younger guy??

Im a 20 year old guy and i will be 21 next month and the thought of dating a woman your age or older appeals to me greatly (moreso than dating a younger girl), although socially its uncommon and seen as 'weird'- the social stigma wouldnt put me off!

ReputationRep:
    Go balls deep.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    My boyfriend is 26 (not at uni) and I am 20, so to be honest there wouldn't be a problem. Although you are classed as a "mature" student, you're not "old".

Friends wise however, I find that you can be friends with anyone. I am extremely good friends with a woman in her 40s who helped me through my first year, is always friendly when I need a chat, and we go for coffee together a lot. It's all about whether you're mature enough to have conversaitons with older people/younger people. Age is just a number.
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    I have dated someone with the same age gap as you and your coursemates when I was 16 through to 19. The age really won't be an issue for the people worth your time on the course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.