Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Basic recording studio... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Can someone outline to me what I need exactly, bare in mind I want to be recording my voice and playing it over instrumentals, and beats that I've made. I'm on a very tight budget so the most basic but functional equipment suggestions only...

Software...Cubase/reason

Microphone - ???

Sound card - ???

What else.

I literally want to be able to sing into a microphone and hear my voice back on my computer, it's for songs....

ReputationRep:
    I would use cubase. As for a mic you cant go wrong with an sm58 from shure, awesome mic. I suppose you could get a sound blaster card or any sound card that would permit you to use an xlr mic. If i were you I would also invest in a midi keyboard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamo2010)
    I would use cubase. As for a mic you cant go wrong with an sm58 from shure, awesome mic. I suppose you could get a sound blaster card or any sound card that would permit you to use an xlr mic. If i were you I would also invest in a midi keyboard
    Midi keyboard ? Does this mean what... I can plug the microphone directly into the keyboard? Can't I just plug it into my computer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Midi keyboard ? Does this mean what... I can plug the microphone directly into the keyboard? Can't I just plug it into my computer?
    Yeah you can but any studio should have a midi keyboard. Makes creating beats and sampling so much easier. You can pick them up pretty cheap too. The headphone thing is irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you can but any studio should have a midi keyboard. Makes creating beats and sampling so much easier. You can pick them up pretty cheap too. The headphone thing is irrelevant
    Any cheaper microphones? or maybe something iwth a larger surface area with a popper thing to stop spit n stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    Any cheaper microphones? or maybe something iwth a larger surface area with a popper thing to stop spit n stuff
    you get what you pay for man, you can pick them up for about £40 second hand. As for the spit gaurd they only cost about £10 - 20 quid anyway

ReputationRep:
    you get what you pay for man, you can pick them up for about £40 second hand. As for the spit gaurd they only cost about £10 - 20 quid anyway
    I find gumtree is very helpful for second hand music stuff. You can get great deals and you can always bargain for an even lower price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTeighty)
    I find gumtree is very helpful for second hand music stuff. You can get great deals and you can always bargain for an even lower price.
    agree with this, found a guitar on there before for 600 and managed to get it down to 500

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you want to be cheap you can make a diy pop shield with a metal coat hanger and a pair of tights.

As mentioned before, get a Shure SM58 and a sound card with an XLR input such as this one: M-Audio Fast Track.

ReputationRep:
    Am I right in saying a sound card and audio interface aren't the same thing? Cause what was posted above is an audio interface.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You could buy a new sound card, but unless you want instant playback while recording you'll probably be fine with the one you got with the computer.
    If you don't have the money to buy cubase, look into Audacity as it's free, once you've got to grips with it, it's not too bad.
    Microphones I don't know much about, but unless you have some sort of XLR to 1/8 jack adaptor or are willing to buy one (I've seen XLR-1/4 inch jacks at £20) then I'd suggest getting something like the £10 one from Argos, I use it and it's not great, but does it's job reasonably well. Sound quality is not brilliant but unless you're aiming for really professional recordings it won't matter too much. And I'm guessing that because you want to spend as little as possible you're prepared to sacrifice quality.

ReputationRep:
    If you are planning on recording real instruments rather than purely using MIDI or onboard sounds, then your greatest expense should be on microphones. My band just recorded an album entirely in bedrooms and rehearsal spaces after scrapping an old one because the sound was pish. We used some nice Shure mics, as wells as some by Rode and Neumann - and a condenser for the kick drum. I've recorded in expensive studios and this sounds just as good (though we had to work hard for sound separation).

The programme you use to record onto is less important: they're all much of a muchness. Our album was recorded on about six different systems: Cubase, Logic, ProTools, CoolEdit, Saw and something I can't remember the name of (Arjen?) - and then cobbled together and mixed in ProTools.

Oh yeah, you'll need good monitoring speakers as well.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with cheap computer soundcards is that many of them have poor sample rates, which means that the audio you're recording is of a low quality, as well as limited inputs.

@Panda Bear although it is an audio interface it also acts as the PC's primary sound drivers. The audio signal goes out the PC via USB, through the fast track hub and through the auxiliary outputs to external monitors. The problem with the fasttrack is that it only offers one mic input and one lead input. The fasttrack pro has more and also has a higher sample rate of 96khz.

http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardwa...preamps--29998

These are pretty decent monitors. Very cheap.

http://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/pro..._series/hs50m/

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.