The Student Room Group

Want to quit uni

Hey all.

Am new to this site, so not totally sure if this is the right place to post this.

I'm in my 2nd year at University of Kent studying history and have come to realise that I don't think it's for me. I've stuck it out for the first year and didn't really enjoy it and although I did meet some new people, I haven't found anyone I "click" with. :frown:

Ever since I have been here, my interest for history seems to have disappeared and I have no motivation to do any work at all, even the topics I enjoy the most. I am a member of societies, but the only one that has really taken my fancy is the Equestrian Society.

On a recent trip to America, I saw Texas A&M University which looked awesome and given that I love America I'm seriously thinking of transferring, but don't know how to do it.

I know my family would not really like me leaving and transferring halfway through the 2nd year, but I really hate it here and am getting incredibly upset & stressed. I just need some advice or help on what to do, as I know I don't want to spend another term here!

Sorry for the long post, but this has been building up inside me for a long time and I think it's time I took action about it. Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard
Reply 1
Most American universities offer 'international transfers'. Check that out.

http://admissions.tamu.edu/international/gettingin/reqDocuments/transfer.aspx
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks very much Focus08. Much appreciated
Reply 3
Just stick it out and finish your degree.
Think of the student loan,your wasted years and so on.
Don't be a pussy.
I would advise you to just stay and finish your degree
you wouldnot wanna be striked by the recession
Reply 5
The cost of transferring to an American university is astronomical - I don't really think it's worth it. If you're thinking of transferring I'd suggest a university in the UK; it's more realistic and a hell of a lot cheaper.

That being said, you've only got one life so live it!
... but sensibly.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
sod that, although financial stuff is important if you can afford to go the states and pay 30k-40k$ a year on then finances dosn't seem to be problem for you.

You've got to know these things,

your Priority at university is the Course, completing your degree as much as other people seem to be in groups, active and uni and seem really comfortable but you don't know anything about them, they could be doing doss courses easy modules, post grads, repeat year, it doesn't really matter.

You will only gain satisfication from the course if you put the effort in that means attending classes, tutorials, and doing the reading. Interacting with your faculty/department profs and lecturers. If you did put serious thought into picking history to study at university, you obviously had some interest in it.

Colleges in US give you that flexibility of an extra year to decide what you want to do, and mixing and matching similar to joint degrees exists (eg double majors/minors), but its also means taking up an extra year, your degree has no focus, effectively it gives you the extra year to doss and have fun take it easy.

If that whole frat/campus and possibly possibly better climate, and Americana lifetstyle has its appeal,

You have to decide if you're just buying yourself more time to have fun and live the 1st year life,
but know that if you want to get a degree you will have to put in the time yourself studying and learning in the library
Reply 7
Theconomist
Just stick it out and finish your degree.
Think of the student loan,your wasted years and so on.
Don't be a pussy.

I agreee
Not having found people you click with after 1 year isnt a reason to transfer, although I understand its not your main reason. As others have said, the cost of transferring to the US is vast. Perhaps consider erasmus sp? or other similar exchange type programs, or a placement year? Speak to your uni about it, most will have loads of opportunities to travel or complete modules/years somewhere else or things to spice up the course. As someone who pulled out of my first degree mid way through second year, it is time you just have to redo again somewhere else, so make it what you want it to be, rather than be a victim of it. You obviously had an interest in history at some point, you need to rediscover that.
Reply 9
Thanks everyone: Helpful advice. Actually I'm not one of those to go madly wild at uni and would study out of choice. I just don't think that studying in England is right for me, as I sit at my desk daydreaming about what it would be like in America.

But I will weigh up the options.
Focus08
Most American universities offer 'international transfers'. Check that out.

http://admissions.tamu.edu/international/gettingin/reqDocuments/transfer.aspx

I agree
Focus08
Elaborate...

If you drop out of uni, you are more likely to be left jobless, thus, when or if there is another recession, you will be hit hard and may even be left homeless- sad I KNOW!

Haha I am only 15! :biggrin::eek3: :yep:
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence... or in this case Atlantic.
The costs of Uni in America for non-American students are sky high. Unless your parents have some serious cash or you are a genius and can get a scholarship, I doubt that it's going to be possible to transfer.
Still, look into it anyway I guess. But if it is impossible you need to accept that and get on with life here.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
Would US actually be a realistic option for you? Seems extremely expensive to transfer over there.
I was in your shoes this time last year and defered my place for a year took got a job did a snowboarding qualification then did a beach job over the summer. live life on the otherside before you think about doing something like that... maybe try and do your riding instructors best thing to do is talk to tutors about it

Latest

Trending

Trending