Turn on thread page Beta

Resitting A Level Units from 2years ago watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been to uni for a year and not done so well.

And it looks like rather than being able to transfer from one course to another, I am going to have to improve my A Levels to get onto the course i want.

So its been a year since I left college, do I contact them to arrange the modules i want to resit?
    I don't really know where to start, and i have more questions but they've escaped me, so if anyone who has actually done this, replies, I 'll be grateful.

Just to clarify, i finished college in 08-09, i went to uni in 09-10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by che666)
    I've been to uni for a year and not done so well.

And it looks like rather than being able to transfer from one course to another, I am going to have to improve my A Levels to get onto the course i want.

So its been a year since I left college, do I contact them to arrange the modules i want to resit?
    I don't really know where to start, and i have more questions but they've escaped me, so if anyone who has actually done this, replies, I 'll be grateful.

Just to clarify, i finished college in 08-09, i went to uni in 09-10.
    Go to CambellHarris's website and fill out a registration form.
    U can retake any units that u have done badly in.
    This college what the only one I could find that wasnt rediculously priced. Im paying £50 per unit. other places had told me a price of £100+ per unit!!

This is what I am currently doing, although I finished my levels in 2006!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamil1987)
    This college what the only one I could find that wasnt rediculously priced. Im paying £50 per unit. other places had told me a price of £100+ per unit!!

That's in London, i need one in or around Manchester though

ReputationRep:

I looked at the website, and i like it. Im planning to do the same. So will i be able to retake 1 AS unit and 1 A2 unit in different subjects?...at the end of it, will i get a final certificate? or?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    If you sat your A levels in 2009 I'm pretty certain your courses will no longer be running (apart from maths A levels which thankfully haven't changed yet ), and you won't be able to take resits now
    You would be able to do new subjects of course, so check with nearby colleges what's available to you
    its maths and further maths i studied along with physics...
    I remember the exams i sat were the new syllabus so i presume they are still running... and how come not resits? does it have to be done within 3years or something?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    its maths and further maths i studied along with physics...
    I remember the exams i sat were the new syllabus so i presume they are still running... and how come not resits? does it have to be done within 3years or something?
    If it was new syllabus physics ignore what I just said :yep: I thought it was still old syllabus A2's in 2009 which would mean there were no more exams for you to sit, new syllabus on the other hand you can resit as normal, so no problems there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    If it was new syllabus physics ignore what I just said :yep: I thought it was still old syllabus A2's in 2009 which would mean there were no more exams for you to sit, new syllabus on the other hand you can resit as normal, so no problems there
    I'm not too sure about physics actually, but i'm definite maths and further maths were new ones..
    thanks for the reply
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm not too sure about physics actually, but i'm definite maths and further maths were new ones..
    thanks for the reply
    Maths and further maths haven't changed yet actually, so you'll be safe with them You might want to double check your physics just to make sure :yep:

ReputationRep:
    That's in London, i need one in or around Manchester though
    Yes it in in london, i was looking for one in east midlands, leicestershire area, but after emailing all the local colleges in nottingham, leicester, private school no luck! So i guess london it is, u only need to go twice, once to register and again for the exam (if u have one exam).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swimmer)
    I looked at the website, and i like it. Im planning to do the same. So will i be able to retake 1 AS unit and 1 A2 unit in different subjects?...at the end of it, will i get a final certificate? or?

Yeh u can do that in the same exam season, i.e. Jan 2011 coming up. and then get a final certificate issued a few months after that which costs an additional £20.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it in in london, i was looking for one in east midlands, leicestershire area, but after emailing all the local colleges in nottingham, leicester, private school no luck! So i guess london it is, u only need to go twice, once to register and again for the exam (if u have one exam).
    yeah.. thats a long way still... how far you going to be travelling?

ReputationRep:
    yeah.. thats a long way still... how far you going to be travelling?
    lol 2hr 45mins each way on coach.
    I suggest finding a place more local to you, but i struggled to find places.

ReputationRep:
    lol 2hr 45mins each way on coach.
    I suggest finding a place more local to you, but i struggled to find places.
    yeah, there's loads of colleges in manchester... just going to have to ask them... i'm sure one will let me..
    and coach!!! i'd rather kill myself rather than spend 6 hours on a coach.. you got some willpower mate

ReputationRep:
    yeah, there's loads of colleges in manchester... just going to have to ask them... i'm sure one will let me..
    and coach!!! i'd rather kill myself rather than spend 6 hours on a coach.. you got some willpower mate
    LOL just something I need to get out of the way.
    Not exactly will power, i have the gift of being able to fall asleep anytime, anywhere for as long as poss lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yeh u can do that in the same exam season, i.e. Jan 2011 coming up. and then get a final certificate issued a few months after that which costs an additional £20.
    This sounds about right.

ReputationRep:
    LOL just something I need to get out of the way.
    Not exactly will power, i have the gift of being able to fall asleep anytime, anywhere for as long as poss lol
    i just hate coaches.. old people, the smell, just makes me want to throw up...
    i just read you've been sponsored by a company... how is that going?

ReputationRep:
    i just hate coaches.. old people, the smell, just makes me want to throw up...
    i just read you've been sponsored by a company... how is that going?
    Yeah its going well. AECOM, have you heard of them?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its going well. AECOM, have you heard of them?
    i can't say i have, i googled them though... definitely looks like a big company so you've done well. Are they funding your studies?

ReputationRep:
    i can't say i have, i googled them though... definitely looks like a big company so you've done well. Are they funding your studies?
    Yeh one of the biggest engineering consultancies globally apparently.
    They are paying for tuition fees and giving me a job through the summer and xmas if i want.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.