The Student Room Group

Resitting A Level Units from 2years ago

I've been to uni for a year and not done so well.

And it looks like rather than being able to transfer from one course to another, I am going to have to improve my A Levels to get onto the course i want.

So its been a year since I left college, do I contact them to arrange the modules i want to resit?
I don't really know where to start, and i have more questions but they've escaped me, so if anyone who has actually done this, replies, I 'll be grateful.

Just to clarify, i finished college in 08-09, i went to uni in 09-10.
Reply 1
che666
I've been to uni for a year and not done so well.

And it looks like rather than being able to transfer from one course to another, I am going to have to improve my A Levels to get onto the course i want.

So its been a year since I left college, do I contact them to arrange the modules i want to resit?
I don't really know where to start, and i have more questions but they've escaped me, so if anyone who has actually done this, replies, I 'll be grateful.

Just to clarify, i finished college in 08-09, i went to uni in 09-10.

Go to CambellHarris's website and fill out a registration form.
U can retake any units that u have done badly in.
This college what the only one I could find that wasnt rediculously priced. Im paying £50 per unit. other places had told me a price of £100+ per unit!!

This is what I am currently doing, although I finished my levels in 2006!
Reply 2
Jamil1987
This college what the only one I could find that wasnt rediculously priced. Im paying £50 per unit. other places had told me a price of £100+ per unit!!

That's in London, i need one in or around Manchester though
Reply 3
Jamil1987

I looked at the website, and i like it. Im planning to do the same. So will i be able to retake 1 AS unit and 1 A2 unit in different subjects?...at the end of it, will i get a final certificate? or?
Reply 4
skipp
If you sat your A levels in 2009 I'm pretty certain your courses will no longer be running (apart from maths A levels which thankfully haven't changed yet :smile:), and you won't be able to take resits now
You would be able to do new subjects of course, so check with nearby colleges what's available to you

its maths and further maths i studied along with physics...
I remember the exams i sat were the new syllabus so i presume they are still running... and how come not resits? does it have to be done within 3years or something?
Reply 5
che666
its maths and further maths i studied along with physics...
I remember the exams i sat were the new syllabus so i presume they are still running... and how come not resits? does it have to be done within 3years or something?

If it was new syllabus physics ignore what I just said :yep: I thought it was still old syllabus A2's in 2009 which would mean there were no more exams for you to sit, new syllabus on the other hand you can resit as normal, so no problems there
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 6
skipp
If it was new syllabus physics ignore what I just said :yep: I thought it was still old syllabus A2's in 2009 which would mean there were no more exams for you to sit, new syllabus on the other hand you can resit as normal, so no problems there

I'm not too sure about physics actually, but i'm definite maths and further maths were new ones..
thanks for the reply
Reply 7
che666
I'm not too sure about physics actually, but i'm definite maths and further maths were new ones..
thanks for the reply

Maths and further maths haven't changed yet actually, so you'll be safe with them :smile: You might want to double check your physics just to make sure :yep:
Reply 8
che666
That's in London, i need one in or around Manchester though

Yes it in in london, i was looking for one in east midlands, leicestershire area, but after emailing all the local colleges in nottingham, leicester, private school no luck! So i guess london it is, u only need to go twice, once to register and again for the exam (if u have one exam).
Reply 9
Swimmer
I looked at the website, and i like it. Im planning to do the same. So will i be able to retake 1 AS unit and 1 A2 unit in different subjects?...at the end of it, will i get a final certificate? or?

Yeh u can do that in the same exam season, i.e. Jan 2011 coming up. and then get a final certificate issued a few months after that which costs an additional £20.
Reply 10
Jamil1987
Yes it in in london, i was looking for one in east midlands, leicestershire area, but after emailing all the local colleges in nottingham, leicester, private school no luck! So i guess london it is, u only need to go twice, once to register and again for the exam (if u have one exam).

yeah.. thats a long way still... how far you going to be travelling?
Reply 11
che666
yeah.. thats a long way still... how far you going to be travelling?

lol 2hr 45mins each way on coach.
I suggest finding a place more local to you, but i struggled to find places.
Reply 12
Jamil1987
lol 2hr 45mins each way on coach.
I suggest finding a place more local to you, but i struggled to find places.

yeah, there's loads of colleges in manchester... just going to have to ask them... i'm sure one will let me..
and coach!!! i'd rather kill myself rather than spend 6 hours on a coach.. you got some willpower mate
Reply 13
che666
yeah, there's loads of colleges in manchester... just going to have to ask them... i'm sure one will let me..
and coach!!! i'd rather kill myself rather than spend 6 hours on a coach.. you got some willpower mate

LOL just something I need to get out of the way.
Not exactly will power, i have the gift of being able to fall asleep anytime, anywhere for as long as poss lol
Jamil1987
Yeh u can do that in the same exam season, i.e. Jan 2011 coming up. and then get a final certificate issued a few months after that which costs an additional £20.

This sounds about right.
Reply 15
Jamil1987
LOL just something I need to get out of the way.
Not exactly will power, i have the gift of being able to fall asleep anytime, anywhere for as long as poss lol

i just hate coaches.. old people, the smell, just makes me want to throw up...
i just read you've been sponsored by a company... how is that going?
Reply 16
che666
i just hate coaches.. old people, the smell, just makes me want to throw up...
i just read you've been sponsored by a company... how is that going?

Yeah its going well. AECOM, have you heard of them?
Reply 17
Jamil1987
Yeah its going well. AECOM, have you heard of them?

i can't say i have, i googled them though... definitely looks like a big company so you've done well. Are they funding your studies?
Reply 18
che666
i can't say i have, i googled them though... definitely looks like a big company so you've done well. Are they funding your studies?

Yeh one of the biggest engineering consultancies globally apparently.
They are paying for tuition fees and giving me a job through the summer and xmas if i want.

Latest